Skip to content

Diviner --> ? Dual Class

Hey everyone, I wanted to start a new playthrough of BGEE and was trying to think of a unique class combo I haven't tried before. Was wondering if anyone tried dual classing a diviner. My thought process is some kind of warrior or thief who has a vague notion of the events to come. I would limit myself to only divination spells and dual at some point to thief or warrior. Maybe use EEKeeper for an assassin so Charname just kinda "knows" where his targets are or maybe a bounty hunter, again, just "knowing" where and when to lay down some traps. A wizard slayer combo is also of particular interest. Charname would know when he would come into combat with magic users, and using his divination "gifts," be able to counter them more efficiently. This would also kinda account for meta game knowledge.

Anyways, if anyone had any insights/suggestions into a playthrough I would appreciate it, i.e. when to dual class, interesting dual class comobs, etc.!

Thanks!

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Only divination spells? There aren't a lot of good ones unless you have Spell Revisions, which right now isn't compatible with EE (if you don't have EE and want to rely on divination, I'd strongly recommend installing Spell Revisions). This means an early dual would probably be much more practical, since extra spell slots won't get you quite as much. A cleric and a thief can already dispel illusions with their normal abilities and spells, so a level 2 dual would work. If you're playing a Diviner->Fighter, you might dual at level 7 for Farsight.

If you don't have Spell Revisions, I think you'd have more fun permitting a few non-divination spells.
  • OnestepOnestep Member Posts: 225
    Duel-Classing AWAY from a mage is an odd choice. The first 9-10 levels are really important for HP, and you're kind of shooting yourself in the foot. On top of that, mages are at their weakest for the first 3 or so levels, so you're basically always choosing the worst possible classes for the level you're in, coupled with bad HP.

It's certainly possible, but you're making the game harder for yourself.
  • sparrow13xsparrow13x Member Posts: 120
    I wouldn't do this for anything other than RP reasons, but if you go this route then you can dual as soon as you get a few level 6 spell slots for True Sight if you don't plan on using anyone else that can cast it.

Honestly there are only a couple of useful Divination spells in the game so you're not getting much out of a set-up like that, and as @Onestep said you're missing out on a lot of HP by playing out the first few levels as a mage. I think a better idea would be to dual-class from Wizard Slayer (if you like this kit)->Mage at level 9 or 13 and then restrict yourself to using only Divination spells if you want - at least this way you'll have some HP and fighting skills right off the bat.
  • gnaumiecgnaumiec Member Posts: 62
    Thanks for the comments! Yeah, I was purely thinking RP reasons, dual classing the other way and restricting myself to only divination spells is a good idea, I didn't think of that. It should make the play through a lot easier in the beginning seeing as using only divination spells at first I would have no offensive abilities except beating things down with my staff/sling. But at least I would know all my enemies alignments and evilness!
  • sparrow13xsparrow13x Member Posts: 120
    If you're planning on playing Bg1 you could even dual earlier, but you'll miss out on a lot of HP. It's more viable in BG2 imo. A simpler solution would be a multi fighter Mage with the same self-restrictions.