Skip to content

What will you do first?

AdaramAdaram Member Posts: 146
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
What is the first thing you plan to do when you actually get to play #BGEE
  1. What will you do first?177 votes
    1. Create multiple new characters for the fun of of it!
        8.47%
    2. Listen to all the voice sets and try and figure out which ones are the new ones
        7.34%
    3. Jump right into game with a default, pre-made character, and rush to the end as fast as possible
        2.82%
    4. Spend time creting the perfect character, and the perfect build, then slowly play through everything
      81.36%

Comments

• AdaramAdaram Member Posts: 146
    I am mad I can't fix my typo in option 4 :) *creating :)
  • taletotelltaletotell Member Posts: 74
    None. I'll spend a little time on a character I like then get out there.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    edited September 2012
    Going to use cheats to get 18 in all stats fighter, then get Viconia immediately and see if I can sweet talk her yet. Then I'm going to own Noober and Xvarts on Hardcore P&P Insane mode.

I can dream can't I?
    LOL @Ward nice answer!
  • CCarluNNCCarluNN Member Posts: 200
    Before all else, run settings configuration first!
  • Tr_ondTr_ond Member Posts: 496
    Masturbating not an option? Guess i`ll spend an eternity rolling an über-toon then.
  • beerflavourbeerflavour Member Posts: 117
    edited September 2012
    ---
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Erh. "The perfect build"... scratch that bit out of my answer please, I'm no silly powergaming min-maxer. Otherwise a fitting answer though, I'll make my character the way I like it and then just enjoy the game at a natural pace. I've only actually fully played through the first BG once and that's ages ago, so the whole game should feel even newer for me; it will definitely be enjoyable.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    Mine is purely for the luls factor.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    I always roll a bajillion dudes before I settle on what I want to play. Always.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Actually this would be a better topic without a poll pre-dictating answers.

I already planned a character, most time will be spend on choosing a portrait perhaps, as there's new options I want to check first before deciding on one. Time to get to learn the GUI and then start. It will be quicker than spending half an afternoon or evening setting up the game with Tutu.

I'm not decided yet if I want to experience BGEE vanilla first, or immediately start of with checking which mods did get updated and are compatible. Though it will be some time for SCS to catch up with the retweaked enging I fear.
  • ScarsUnseenScarsUnseen Member Posts: 170
    I think I'm going to try something different this time. I'm going to actually roll dice and make my character by Method I in the Player's Handbook, then use the console to change my stats to whatever I roll. That means I won't know what class I'll be playing (since in AD&D 2nd edition, you roll stats and then pick a class you qualify for, rather than the way BG does it). This probably means I'll have lower stats overall than most BG characters.
    @ScarsUnseen I've thought about doing that myself in the past! I think if you roll a human fighter, all the minimum values are 3 so whatever you get there would be same as rolling in person first. Remember what you get there and simply roll some other dude then change his stats around with an editor?

Or just, you know. Roll. :D
  • KholdstareKholdstare Member Posts: 160
    I had planned on playing a sorcerer, but after my last bard playthrough, I think I'll pick a blade. I'll try as hard as I can to give him great stats and work through the game slowly.
  • sepottersepotter Member Posts: 367
    I'm probably gonna spend a solid hour or two on rolling. I plan on making a fighter, that I will later dual-class into a mage, so it will take some effort.
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    I create a character and go most of the time. The other 10% is perfect scores.
  • siriuslukesiriusluke Member Posts: 31
    Going straight for the Black Pits of course.
  • aldainaldain Member Posts: 308

I think I'm going to try something different this time. I'm going to actually roll dice and make my character by Method I in the Player's Handbook, then use the console to change my stats to whatever I roll. That means I won't know what class I'll be playing (since in AD&D 2nd edition, you roll stats and then pick a class you qualify for, rather than the way BG does it). This probably means I'll have lower stats overall than most BG characters.

I'm doing something similar, except I'm taking the more lenient (guess you could say power-gamey, though with only 1 roll for stats and no +/- allowed I'd be hard pressed to call it that) method of rolling 6 stats using 4 dice for each (disregard lowest), then applying them to whichever stat I fancy. Naturally adjusting for race bonuses/penalties.

Kind of sucks when you get a character with 14/13/13/13/12/14, but that's part of the charm.

I had planned on playing a sorcerer, but after my last bard playthrough, I think I'll pick a blade. I'll try as hard as I can to give him great stats and work through the game slowly.

If you want some tips on meta-gamey stats for a bard, I have a few.

1: You only need 10 strength. Can't wear heavy armors anyway, the lighter stuff you can wear gets in the way of spellcasting. Unless you're whomping around with two-handed weapons, 10 will cover any one-hander you want and you can still focus on ranged bows. When you want to hit things in melee, you have access to spells and therefore can utilize "Strength" til you pick up the gauntlets of ogre power.

2: Don't sweat about constitution too much. Don't get bonuses to hp beyond 16 with them anyway. If you wanna get really meta-gamey, you only really need to "roll" a 15 on it because you can get the book that permanently ups it pretty early on.

3: drop your charisma to it's lowest value. 15 is more than you'll ever need. That + Friends = more than you need to reach the max on shop discounts. 15 + tome of charisma + Algernon's Cloak = 18, which is more than enough to get the very, very few rewards in the game where max charisma matters.

4: You might be tempted to totally go balls-out destroying your Wisdom. Normally I'm all for min-maxing but bards are the single only class in the game who actually care about their lore value. 7 wisdom is safe. You lose 10 lore at 7 WIS, but if you dump your tomes of wisdom through the game on yourself you'll get back up to 10 WIS and therefore no longer lose any lore.

Hope that helps.
  • ElandirElandir Member Posts: 35
    To be honest, the first thing I do every time I play BG, is to steal Algernon's Cloak!!!

It's just a loan... I SWEAR
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    Considering how many characters I already have in my head. I'll either roll them all or just cheat console the stats to save myself a lot of time, heartache and lost sleep.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    Cocaine wasn't a choice in your poll!
  • DjimmyDjimmy Member Posts: 749
    No point of power gaming for the first playthrough. I will make a strong blackguard and try to take it slow.

In the second playthrough(if I play it second time), I will go for power gaming. Max stats, dual or multy fighter/mage, use all the tomes for stats, and probably level up after my constitution is as high as possible(so I get more HP). Then I go to BG2 EE.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I'll listen to the new voice sets to see if there is actually a guy I would like to use (I've never found a male voice set I like). Then I will check out the new portraits. And who knows, maybe I'll be inspired to create a completely new character. But I'll probably end up playing a female paladin with the same portrait and voice set I have been using for the past ten years.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I already know what character I'm going to play, and it's the very first character I completed the game with a dozen years ago but didn't use very well. This time around I'll get it right, lol. Half-elven Fighter-Mage. Still have the portrait. I look forward to possibly trying one of the new voice sets for him, though, maybe.

Actually this would be a better topic without a poll pre-dictating answers.

I already planned a character, most time will be spend on choosing a portrait perhaps, as there's new options I want to check first before deciding on one. Time to get to learn the GUI and then start. It will be quicker than spending half an afternoon or evening setting up the game with Tutu.

I'm not decided yet if I want to experience BGEE vanilla first, or immediately start of with checking which mods did get updated and are compatible. Though it will be some time for SCS to catch up with the retweaked enging I fear.

Yeah I kind of agree about the Poll. But I wanted to try one out!! :)

I think I am going to play Vanilla first

Cocaine wasn't a choice in your poll!

LOL, nope, sorry.

• KholdstareKholdstare Member Posts: 160

If you want some tips on meta-gamey stats for a bard, I have a few.

1: You only need 10 strength. Can't wear heavy armors anyway, the lighter stuff you can wear gets in the way of spellcasting. Unless you're whomping around with two-handed weapons, 10 will cover any one-hander you want and you can still focus on ranged bows. When you want to hit things in melee, you have access to spells and therefore can utilize "Strength" til you pick up the gauntlets of ogre power.

2: Don't sweat about constitution too much. Don't get bonuses to hp beyond 16 with them anyway. If you wanna get really meta-gamey, you only really need to "roll" a 15 on it because you can get the book that permanently ups it pretty early on.

3: drop your charisma to it's lowest value. 15 is more than you'll ever need. That + Friends = more than you need to reach the max on shop discounts. 15 + tome of charisma + Algernon's Cloak = 18, which is more than enough to get the very, very few rewards in the game where max charisma matters.

4: You might be tempted to totally go balls-out destroying your Wisdom. Normally I'm all for min-maxing but bards are the single only class in the game who actually care about their lore value. 7 wisdom is safe. You lose 10 lore at 7 WIS, but if you dump your tomes of wisdom through the game on yourself you'll get back up to 10 WIS and therefore no longer lose any lore.

Hope that helps.
    Thanks for the tips! Hopefully my rolls are good enough that I can splurge a little on superficial stuff like strength. I do have a question about the Lore thing though. Will my Lore shoot up to the amount it would have been if I had leveled up with the appropriate amount of wisdom (assuming I get the tomes, of course), or is it lost forever?
  • triclops41triclops41 Member Posts: 207
    I am also spending time on figuring out how to travel with as many NPCs as possible, and figuring out what the most entertaining party compositions will be.
    For example, I really want to try Khalid/Jaheria/Monty/Xzar, Coran/Safana, and Dynaheir/Edwin/Minsc