Skip to content

Have you ever noticed any errors in the Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale series that cracked you up?

HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
Was playing through Icewind Dale today in anticipation for BG:EE. Thought it was funny that the game takes place in 1281 but that Gerth in Kuldahar has a book for sale in his shop on the "Recent History of the North" talking about the year 1367. Whoops. I bet that's a best seller that one.

Comments

• WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    @HaHaCharade You need to make serious note of that, mention it when they make IWD:EE. ;)

I played BG the first time using a portrait pack, so Minsc had a beard. I thought it suited him perfectly. Then when I played the game without it he possessed no beard and was bald, I thought it was a glitch. HAR.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    Ward said:

@HaHaCharade You need to make serious note of that, mention it when they make IWD:EE. ;)

Here's hoping that they do! -- and that they add about 20 hours of content!
  • g314g314 Member Posts: 201
    Not really an error, but cracked me up nonetheless: I was fighting against those guys (Draug Fea's party) in Athkatla sewers and used lightning wand against them. The bolts bounced randomly across the tunnel and hit Keldorn off screen that promptly turned hostile. He immediately joined the battle against me and I didn't understand why at first... then I realized "ah, yes... THAT bolt!"

Good thing it wasn't my first playthrough, otherwise I'd have been VEEEEEEERY confused!
  • HeavylineHeavyline Member Posts: 108
    Had some great laughs while watching that CCarluNN's video.
  • RexfaroensisRexfaroensis Member Posts: 134
    Heavyline said:

Had some great laughs while watching that CCarluNN's video.

That floating bloke cracked me up!
    Another interesting error while playing IWD -- If you talk to the blue-skinned water elf first, before talking to the person in town she's been singing to, you get a journal entry saying that you "encountered a strange blue skinned woman on the shores of Kuldahar." Kuldahar? I'm in Easthaven! Heh.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    @HahaCharade Dude here I'm being completely serious, record all of the glitches you find because nobody will remember.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    I think the craziest thing in that video is the default BG1 walking speed. I had forgotten how bad it was. Enough time playing like that will drive anyone mad.
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    I never got any errors! Maybe some crash sometimes idk I know there are bugs because I've seen other doing them, like gold "cheats" and stuff.
    Ward said:

@HahaCharade Dude here I'm being completely serious, record all of the glitches you find because nobody will remember.

Yeah well they're in this thread at least - that's if they make an EE of IWD... who knows right?
    Razor said:

I never got any errors! Maybe some crash sometimes idk I know there are bugs because I've seen other doing them, like gold "cheats" and stuff.

Talking more mistakes in game content then actual bugs
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    I see! We better call the Fact Checker over here then!
  • WinterfrostWinterfrost Member Posts: 4
    not really a bug but I find it funny that you can use the potion of speed from the training session in Candlekeep as long as u chug it before the session ends - its useful for getting the prologue done really fast (and killing Elvenhair if you fancy such shenanigans) :)
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    That video is hilarious. Kudos to CCarluNN. :)
  • Raistlin82Raistlin82 Member Posts: 256
    Nosoonersaidthandone!
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    A game breaking error:

When I got out of the Candlekeep Catacombs it didnt begin chapter 7.. Reloading and re-exiting didnt help so I had to begin the game all over again. It happened to me only once though..
    Found another one while playing IWD that is more poor writing then anything... The description of the magic item "The Clasp of Bron's Cloak" ends with the statement:

Whether all of the tales surrounding Bron are true or not, it is known that Bron is believed to have met his end in the Spine of the World mountains, fighting polar worms.

It is know that he is believed to have.... What? heh.
  • Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Member Posts: 121
    I can recall in BG2, I had some necklace that sold for like 200k or 2 million. Set me up with enough gold for life. =]
  • KaxonKaxon Member Posts: 156
    I have a weird one in my current playthrough of IWD... on some of the paperdolls the armor seems to go UNDER the underwear they have on when you don't equip any armor. Some of them look like superman with their underpants over their clothes, while my mage just looks like she's wearing a swimsuit even though she has a robe equipped.
  • LiggLigg Member Posts: 187
    Any of the messengers who run up when you're in the middle of a blood-soaked battle frenzy to tell you their problems.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    In BG1, Gnome paper dolls look like Dwarfs ... or is it Dwarfs look like Gnomes ...
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Maybe it was a dangerous werecat creature? ;)
  • IsairIsair Member Posts: 217
    The feline insurrection was brutally put down that day - "For the glory of Amn!"
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @mlnevese, wow, "werecats"? Dang, I wish I could have one of those as my animal companion!

(Stop reading this now, unless you enjoy "funny" rambles by "spoony bards".)

Inspired by insights into myself that I have gained by participating in this forum, and from other sources, I know that my happiness in any world is dependent on cats first, and music second.

If I become a bard, I will have music first and no cat, so I can't do that.

That means, my truest game-playing template for my own happiness is to be a cat-companion druid, sorc, wiz, or ranger who gives priority in npc friends to having a bard to fill out the "music" side of the equation.

The sorc or wiz possiblilty only exists in NWN1, which has effective cat familiars for wiz's and sorc's.

The sorc or wiz possibility only exists in BG as either a "chaotic neutral" (bah, alignments, who needs them!) sorc or wiz with a cat familiar, or as a totemic druid who has a 1/4 chance to summon a spirit cat. (And, from my childhood, I had a fascination with giant, constrictor snakes, bears, and wolves, in addition to cats. Hmm - totemic druid - hmm.)

In BG1, this idea would mean that I have to take Garrick, for better or for worse, since he is my only Source of music, being as how I can't be the Musicmaker myself (no cat).

In NWN1, I would need to take either Deekin or that other female bard, whose name I forget. I would need to be a druid or a wiz/sorc to get the critical cat componenent of my happiness.

Ha, isn't it wonderful how D&D can teach you about yourself?

On-topic: What "cracks me up"? Funny insights about myself gained from playing "games", that's what.

"There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music, and cats." -Albert Schweitzer, organist and medical doctor