Skip to content

Reputation tipping point for romanced evil characters leaving party

I've noticed that evil characters will leave the party in BG2:EE if the reputation goes beyond 18, even if the character is in a romance with the PC and it has progressed to the 'final' stage (i.e. the romance dialogues have been exhausted). When my paladin PC was romancing Viconia, I had to keep dropping my reputation using EEKeeper before completing a quest which resulted in a reputation increase. However,in ToB my reputation rose to 20 and Viconia remained in the party.

Is it intentional that the reputation restriction is relaxed in ToB, and if so does this apply to all evil characters (I'm thinking specifically of Hexxat in this instance)? My PC has a charisma of 18 (or higher depending on the point in the game and what items I have) if that makes any difference.

Comments

• iavasechuiiavasechui Member Posts: 274
    How far had you romanced Viconia in Throne of Bhaal? She can change from evil to neutral at a certain point if you pick the right answers.
    Also do you have any mods installed? There is at least one mod that prevents npcs for leaving based on reputation.
  • pwaringpwaring Member Posts: 81

How far had you romanced Viconia in Throne of Bhaal? She can change from evil to neutral at a certain point if you pick the right answers.

As soon as I arrived in Saradush and helped the homeless elves my reputation went over 18 and she didn't say anything. Viconia's alignment didn't change until after I'd killed Yaga-Shura, much later on.

I don't have any mods installed.
    ...how did your reputation get that high?? Reputation resets to whatever the base reputation was when you started the game... So a lawful good should be reset to 12... Did ee change something?
    Maybe it was because you were in an active romance? I have no idea...

...how did your reputation get that high?? Reputation resets to whatever the base reputation was when you started the game... So a lawful good should be reset to 12... Did ee change something?

Reputation is only reset when going from BG1 to BG2, not when finishing BG2 and going straight into ToB.
    Oh I could have sworn it reset... Maybe I just started to many new games in ToB as opposed to actually finishing SoA so I got confused.
  • sparrow13xsparrow13x Member Posts: 120
    In SoA evil or good characters will always leave shortly after your rep gets too high or too low, but in ToB they don't care anymore. A good way to lower rep is to kill some random commoner in their home or something, or drop and re-add Viconia.

But the best way is to get BG2 Tweaks and turn that rep crap off. You can set it so the characters still get mad but they don't leave.

In SoA evil or good characters will always leave shortly after your rep gets too high or too low, but in ToB they don't care anymore. A good way to lower rep is to kill some random commoner in their home or something, or drop and re-add Viconia.

I don't think adding and then dropping Viconia helps - in the past I've lost 2 reputation for having her in the party but that's regained as soon as she leaves.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Yeh, I once ran through ToB with a paladin who had Korgan with him through the whole story...at 20 rep. It's not a romance thing, unless Korgan had secret feelings for CHARNAME.
    Hmm, that's interesting, I'll have to test with other evil characters when I get to ToB (the only one I've used on a run-through was Sarevok, but I presumed he didn't complain because he owed his existence to the PC).

Incidentally, Hexxat left my group after getting a reputation increase in the underdark, but I was able to keep her with the 'right' dialogue options (I couldn't do this with Viconia and a male PC).
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    pwaring said:

(I couldn't do this with Viconia and a male PC).

I guess he didn't have the right penile options

I'll be here all week.