Skip to content

Dwarven Defender = brick wall

2»

Comments

• DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @Grum

I think my Cavalier will be doing something similar to this coming up. Although I might be using Purifier or FoA.

That said, this post makes me really wanna give DD a try. It would turn into an improved wizard slayer, since my own wizard slayer gets destroyed in ToB
    @Grum

Oh, and you also have the Dwarven Axe of the Unyielding for when you wanna use slashing weapons =)
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100

@Grum

Oh, and you also have the Dwarven Axe of the Unyielding for when you wanna use slashing weapons =)

Yup! And too it off with the runehammer for fighting undead and you have a dwarf who can handle just about anything.
  • sluckerssluckers Member Posts: 280
    edited October 2015
    Rolled a dwarven defender after getting walloped in my first run through SCS. Still playing my druid character because I like it, but by Moradin what was I thinking all this time? I'll never play a tall character again. Dwarven defenders--and I guess other shorties--plus a potion of invulnerability is an insane combination. They're practically immune to all those nasty mind spells. After relying so much on amulets and rings and spells to counteract so many effects, it's nice to just be able to rock those negative saving throws!

Just defeated Davaeorn. Getting through his stoneskins was a lengthy process, which allowed the dungeon to fill to the brim with blacktalon elite and mine guards. Still, my dwarven defender couldn't help but feel that they've been to rowdier clan feasts. I waded through the crowd and warhammered the mage into the ground, all the while humming to the sound of a pleasantly light rain on my armour... or were those swords?

Now onto SCS Ch5, which I've not done before, and feel confident enough to keep going it solo.

Discovering this dwarven juggernaught has been a bit... Wow.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    sluckers said:

Rolled a dwarven defender after getting walloped in my first run through SCS. Still playing my druid character because I like it, but by Moradin what was I thinking all this time? I'll never play a tall character again. Dwarven defenders--and I guess other shorties--plus a potion of invulnerability is an insane combination. They're practically immune to all those nasty mind spells. After relying so much on amulets and rings and spells to counteract so many effects, it's nice to just be able to rock those negative saving throws!

Just defeated Davaeorn. Getting through his stoneskins was a lengthy process, which allowed the dungeon to fill to the brim with blacktalon elite and mine guards. Still, my dwarven defender couldn't help but feel that they've been to rowdier clan feasts. I waded through the crowd and warhammered the mage into the ground, all the while humming to the sound of a pleasantly light rain on my armour... or were those swords?

Now onto SCS Ch5, which I've not done before, and feel confident enough to keep going it solo.

Discovering this dwarven juggernaught has been a bit... Wow.

Preach it, brother! Preach the good word!
    Can we let this topic die! I don't know how much longer my fighter cleric can hold out.

And does anyone know a mod that allows fighter clerics to use any weapon? No particular reason >.>
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    You could always use NearInfinity to give your character a global effect of "use any item", opcode 302; just make certain the timing mode is set to 9 for "permanent after death" so that it never wears off.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352

You could always use NearInfinity to give your character a global effect of "use any item", opcode 302; just make certain the timing mode is set to 9 for "permanent after death" so that it never wears off.

But you can't get proficency for bladed weapons that way, methinks. I tried it once (I'm not great at modding) and failed. Wanted my F/C to be able to use axes.
  • valamyrvalamyr Member Posts: 130
    Perhaps the post that inspired you OP, was mine about tanking Drizzt in BGEE with a DD :) That was a fun run.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Skatan said:

But you can't get proficency for bladed weapons that way, methinks. I tried it once (I'm not great at modding) and failed. Wanted my F/C to be able to use axes.

That, also, is possible with NearInfinity, if you assign an effect of "modify proficiencies" (opcode 233) to the character with "proficiency" of 92 (axes), number of stars in the active class = 1, and timing mode of 9 for permanent. Of course, you would also have to edit the item files for whatever axe you want to use by removing the "unsuable" flag from the fighter/cleric class.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    @mathsorcerer: OK, I've never tried NearInfinity, just EEkeeper. Maybe I'll try that some day, 'cause I can't get a character concept out of my head: a dwarf berzerker-cleric of Abbathor weilding axes and warhammers. It's an old RP character of mine based on a character I used for BG2 a long time ago (my 'main' charname I have used for several different campaigns and even different games, similar to Korgan actually but that was unintentional), but he was stuck with hammers and flails and it doesn't fit the concept I had thought out.
  • ArdulArdul Member Posts: 211

Can we let this topic die! I don't know how much longer my fighter cleric can hold out.

And does anyone know a mod that allows fighter clerics to use any weapon? No particular reason >.>

There is a component for that in both item revisions and SCS.