Skip to content

Dwarven Defender = brick wall

I usually don't play a simple fighter type in the game. Too much fun to be had with spell-casters (Cleric, Mage and derivatives).
After reading a post a while ago on the Dwarven Defender, it seemed quite interesting, so I elected to create one.
Well I'm having a hell of a lot of fun with this guy.
My party is Immy, Vic, Neera, Bran and Dyna.
I'm the muscle. They are the casters.
With a tank, a thief, two Clerics and two Mages, we are doing well.
My Dwarf uses a sling for ranged so I can use a shield and with a natural 18/00 str (awesome roll!) I have a str boost to bullets. Of course tanking is the optimal role and this guy is solid.
With axe, hammer and sling, got most damage types covered.
Early in the game, while getting Dyna, couldn't even see my character for the amount of Gnolls surrounding him.
Until the bodies hit the floor.
Toe-to-toe with 3 Ogre Berzerkers was interesting, Charname was last man standing though.

So, if anyone wants to try playing steamroller, this class will do it.
Like any other character, gear is key.

What this character also allows me to do though, is concentrate more on the support NPCs. I'm finding it easier to just let my tank wade in and wallow and I can now play the NPCs more to their strengths instead of just frantically hope they can provide support. It opens new character development for use I find.

M2C

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Grum said:

Another one converted to the cult of Moradin!

On this rate, soon it will be quite an army!
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    just wait until SoA, at level 20 you will have 20 damage resistance, and with dwarven stance that will just to 70%, and if you are extra hardcore and wield defender of easthaven and wear the belt of interior barrier, while doing the above, you will have a whopping 90% damage resistance, and on top of that, if hardiness stacks with all this jazz, you will hit the cap of 127% damage resistance and that means physical damage will actually heal you
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    sarevok57 said:

(...) if hardiness stacks with all this jazz, you will hit the cap of 127% damage resistance and that means physical damage will actually heal you

Hardiness does not stack with Defensive Stance, unfortunately.

But it's still an amazing gear/ability combo.

• LateralusLateralus Member Posts: 903
    Just wanted to say that I am on the bandwagon. The mental toughness and the physical toughness are the stuff of legend, right Boo?!

Dual weilding hammers...it's just...sorry I am getting teary eyed...it's just so...devastating.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    I started new IWD:EE game with dwarven berserker... After reading this thread I think I'll change him for dwarven defender, sounds interesting!
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    mch202 said:

I started new IWD:EE game with dwarven berserker... After reading this thread I think I'll change him for dwarven defender, sounds interesting!

in icewind dale if you make a dwarven defender with the right gear while using defensive stance at level 20, you could possibly be immune to some types of damage

• GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    sarevok57 said:

mch202 said:

in icewind dale if you make a dwarven defender with the right gear while using defensive stance at level 20, you could possibly be immune to some types of damage

Quite easily. IWD dwarven defenders are where it is at. So many damage resistance items...especially the shields! The plethora of amazing shields, the dwarf-only hammer...heck, even damage resistance plate armor. I wouldn't leave easthaven without one.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    The Dwarven Defender is even more fun to play while not wearing any armors, helmets, bracers and weapons.

Voila: you have created a Tatesai, or Shield Saint for the non Kara-Turian speakers- the perfect companion for a Kensai!
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    My only issue with DD is the stupid max starting Dex of 17 Dwarves are burdened with which means for the early and most AC dependant part of the game he will have an inferior base AC to an equivalent fighter.

Yes this is resolved as soon as you get to Baldur's Gate but by that point AC starts to matter a bit less.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    For dwarven defenders, having a high dexterity is merely a bonus but in this game being limited to a 17 dex won't be a drawback compared to other fighter classes. Defenders can get a max of 17 hit points per level so they will have at least 20% more hit points than other fighters at the same level; combined with their innate damage resistance they can take far more punishment even if they do get a little more often.

The best thac0s in the game, as far as creatures you are likely to run in to more often than not, are in the range of an effective 9 (ogre berserker base 12 with strength 18/100). Without magic equipment, any well-stocked fighter will start the game with splint mail and a shield for a base AC of 3 (2 vs piercing, 1 vs crushing). Those ogre berserkers will be able to hit this fighter on an 8 or higher, or about 60% of the time. It doesn't take much improvement to equipment to get this number over 11, meaning they will miss more often than they hit. By the time the fighters have AC below -4 it won't matter much if the number is -4 or -5--most things in the game will hit only on a 20.

A multi-class dwarven defender/cleric would probably be one of the easiest characters to solo through BGEE.
    I have to say, a DD/Cleric sounds like all sorts of awesome.
    decado said:

My only issue with DD is the stupid max starting Dex of 17 Dwarves are burdened with which means for the early and most AC dependant part of the game he will have an inferior base AC to an equivalent fighter.

Yes this is resolved as soon as you get to Baldur's Gate but by that point AC starts to matter a bit less.

Resolved even sooner with the gauntlets of dexterity, if 1 pip of dexterity bothers you that much. Though unless you are soloing, there are probably more worthy candidates for them.

I've personally never found the 17 dex to be an issue.
    It doesn't bother me all that much. I'm more bothered by the silly arbitrary racial max Dex for Dwarves.
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Grum said:

Another one converted to the cult of Moradin!

Or Reorx if you are from Krynn.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    But then half orcs arrived...
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    I've seriously considered EEkeepering my fighter/cleric to dwarven defender/fighter cleric =/

I've seriously considered EEkeepering my fighter/cleric to dwarven defender/fighter cleric =/

Do it! It'd be a fun run, and would really show off being a cleric of Clangeddin.
    @Grum

As I said, I'm considering it. But A. I wouldn't get axes (nor get beyond specialized anyway), and B. Just not certain about it. My preferred version of fighter/cleric is still a cavalier or undead hunter =/
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I tried to make a DD/cleric once since I had a character conecpt in my head, but couldn't get the UAI so he could use axes to function. Don't know what I did to not make it work, but I ended up ditching the char. Same with berzerker/cleric. I really want to have a dwarf weilding an axe in one hand and a warhammer in the other while being a cleric of Abbathor.
    @Skatan

I think BGTweaks removed cleric weapon restrictions, but that pretty much sums up my own problem. Me, I'd view my DD/Cleric as a paladin of moradin. Or as close as a dwarf could get
  • SharguildSharguild Member Posts: 186
    So now Level 6 with my DD and I am VERY happy with the chap.
    His ranged with a +1 Sling is very impressive and he absolutely rocks with Ashideena.
    I'm distributing points evenly at this stage, with 2 pips purchased in each;
    - axe
    - hammer
    - sling
    I'll not be able to give another until BG2 and will probably pump axe, as there are so many wonderful ones. Of course, hammers can't be overlooked but there are some wonderful flails (other than "Ages") to consider, as well as morning stars. Yes, I know I'm limited to 2 pips in flails/morning stars, looking at static effects though (i.e. "Defender of Easthaven"). Same with maces but I want Viccy to swing maces.
    No interest in swords at all. My other PCs in other games are all swinging swords.
    So, I suspect I'll go to 3 in Axe (Azuredge/Ice/Fire), then 3 in Hammer, and 1 in "sword and shield" somewhere betwixt them all.
    Going past 2 pips in any weapon has usually been "meh" with me, as I usually never build a fighter anyway.
    Fun times.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Dwarven Defender with Defender of Easthaven at 10th level has, oh, probably 125 hp and 30% resist physical damage? No, you don't get that weapon until you can make it to the Copper Coronet in the next game but the weapon and class were made for each other.

If only some of the items which grant physical resistances were available in BGEE and BG2EE.... Of course, if I want those items I already know what to do--export the items, export the string reference texts, then create some small WeiDU install packages--so that makes it a question of sitting down to do it. This, of course, presumes that someone else hasn't already done that....
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Skip Sword and Shield. Eventually you'll probably want two weapon fighting after you have 2 or 3 pips in some primary weapons. At that point 1 pip in short sword (for Kundane) or scimitar (Belm) will do you well unless those weapons are already going to someone.
  • SharguildSharguild Member Posts: 186
    I appreciate the suggestion Wowo but I'm not interested in biggest bestest, I've beat the trilogy a dozen times. I'm looking more toward role playing so can't really see going without a shield on a DD (yes that is subjective, some on the "line" could be dual wielding, heh). Also, no swords I promised myself.
    Some really great shields in the game I'm looking forward to (i.e. "Harmony" and "Saving Grace").
    Mind, I'm certainly planning on having a variety of hit-sticks in my inventory and DoE is high on the list; FoA is certainly not, nor is Crom. I plan on having fun with the lesser used whackers. The Wyvern's Tail (poison) and "Dwarven Thrower" Hammer (vs giants) as examples.
    Of course, "Arvoreen" sling for predominantly used ranged.
    In ToB, the weapon choices for a DD are all crazy strong and hard to go wrong with.
    Point allocation by that point though should be fully determined.
    Bala's axe would be nice to bring along...sigh.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    You don't need sword & shield style to use a shield. I would put the pips elsewhere.
  • wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    The actual proficiency for sword and shield style is a bit naff but the combination itself is fantastic, when you get your base armour class down to -17 even the five have difficulty hitting you, combine that with Dwarven defender resistance and a weapon like crom faeyr and you'll make mince meat of everything.
    @Sharguild

I love everything you said there, especially regarding sword and shield style. I just find it hard to believe that a dwarf would turn down the amazingly dwarven Crom Faeyr. =)