Skip to content

King Gramm and Other Wild Mages Hostile in Red Wizard Dungeon

TheVerySpecialKTheVerySpecialK Member Posts: 16
When I open the door to the last room in the Red Wizard stronghold (the one with King Gramm in it), everyone in the room (including King Gramm) becomes hostile. Furthermore, once I get past that room (being careful not to attack King Gramm even though he is hostile), all the other wild mages attack me as well. What's up with that? Has Lanneth charmed them or something? I chose the "you can't be trusted" option with Lanneth when she wanted my party to lay down its weapons, if that matters.

Comments

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Maybe a stray fireball, lightning bolt or cloudkill of yours damaged one of them?
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    edited October 2015
    I told Lanneth to sod off also, and had no problem. I like Lunar's suggestion as a cause for your grief. AOE spells like ice storm, fireball, cone of cold etc. can catch an ally in their edges and turn it into an enemy. This is true even if the spell effect can't actually hurt them. I have had skeletal warriors become hostile from a stinking cloud, and fire elementals from fireballs. They interpret it as an attack. I believe non-summoned NPC allies work the same way.

It's gotten to the point where I just don't bother memorizing such spells, since they are difficult to use. There are one or two exceptions; I'll toss off an occasional lightning bolt if I am sure there won't be a rebound onto anybody, and one or two times I have used a wand of cloudkill to do things like block a doorway, but I generally shy away from such spells in a crowded battlefield situation.

Now, if what you are saying is that Gramm and crew are hostile even before you cast any combat spells, that's a bit more puzzling. Did you injure any ally or innocent bystander on the way to that room? Some of the combats en route can get a bit hectic; you might not even have noticed. I'd suggest reloading the entire attack on the Red Wizard enclave and running through it again, making sure to avoid any such incident. Don't even bring any AOE spells with you.

This is one of those scenarios where you can break off between rooms and go rest and re-memorize spells. I try never to do this, since I find it jarring and unrealistic. I mean, if you besiege a place and give the enemy 24 hours to prepare, they should fortify the area, but they don't. However, on occasion (fifth floor of Watcher's Keep ... ick!) I have been forced to do this simply because the opposition was so intense.
    Post edited by FrdNwsm on
  • Maybe you accidentally hit Mironda with an AoE (or a confused party member) during the fight in the bar area? I know I've had Amnish guards get killed by one of my party members while confused without negative effects, but I seem to remember people saying that hitting/killing Mironda will set off the other mages.
  • TheVerySpecialKTheVerySpecialK Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for the insight, guys!
    Kaigen said:

Maybe you accidentally hit Mironda with an AoE (or a confused party member) during the fight in the bar area? I know I've had Amnish guards get killed by one of my party members while confused without negative effects, but I seem to remember people saying that hitting/killing Mironda will set off the other mages.

Yeah, that must be it! Honestly, I didn't even realize that Mironda was in the bar (though it makes sense considering her background)! My strategy for that room was this: send in 2 hasted tanks with complete fire resistance while everyone else stood outside the door pouring in fireballs and explosive fire potions and fire breath and more fireballs... oops.
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    You killed Mironda? OK, that's it, you are under arrest! Now stand quietly while I read you your rights, as per the Mironda decision.

Yeah, she's in the first room. Was in the first room. Now she's toast ... literally.
  • TheVerySpecialKTheVerySpecialK Member Posts: 16
    FrdNwsm said:

You killed Mironda? OK, that's it, you are under arrest! Now stand quietly while I read you your rights, as per the Mironda decision.

Yeah, she's in the first room. Was in the first room. Now she's toast ... literally.

When I saw she was on fire, I grabbed a nearby pitcher of water to douse the flames. I was splashing it on her, but the flames kept getting larger and then she started screaming louder and louder and then I realized, "hey, this isn't water, it's alcohol!" MIRONDA YOU DAMN ALCOHOLIC!

I did reload, though. Am I free to go now, officer?
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Talk to Mironda and take up her offer, you will find an interesting solution to the bar fight scene, and when the fighting starts run out of the room and close the door. Should be fun.
  • NikussNikuss Member Posts: 5
    I had three mages send two fireballs each into that bar. I was wondering why King Gramm and the other nutjobs were so pissed at me. This explains alot.
  • WrathofreccaWrathofrecca Member Posts: 98
    Skeleton warriors might become hostile from stinking cloud, but shouldn't from cloud kill. I use Skeleton+ cloud kill frequently.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

Skeleton warriors might become hostile from stinking cloud, but shouldn't from cloud kill. I use Skeleton+ cloud kill frequently.

So do I but it does seem to be a bit random.
    Sometimes 1 or 2 get really pissed off with the caster and go after him. I've no idea what the trigger is, when it's going to happen, why it happens or how long it will last.

It's such a great strategy that it's still worth having Edwin keeping away from the skellies if they turn until they "forget" they want to kill him.