Skip to content

[mod] Don't wake up! (original unconscious/sleep behavior for BG1:EE and BG2:EE)

TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
edited October 2015 in General Modding
In BG2:EE update 1.3 sleep and unconsciousness inflicting effects were changed so that if a creature suffering from these effects were damaged they would wake up and the effect would wear off. At the moment all sleep inflicting items and spells (erroneously) do this, but the developers intend to refine this behavior a bit so that only specific spells and items inflict a sleep effect that can be broken by damage while others will inflict an unconsciousness that is not broken by damage.

The effect of this mod is to make all sleep and unconsciousness effects inflicted by items and spells last until their duration runs out. In other words this mod prevents creatures from waking up if they take damage while asleep. Since the developers also plan to eventually bring this behavior to BG1:EE, this mod will work on both BG1:EE (for when that gets updated) and BG2:EE, although it will need to be installed on each separately.

To install simply extract the all the contents of the zipped folder into your Baldur's Gate I: Enhanced Edition or Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition directory (inside the folder with the baldur.exe) and run the "setup-UnconsciousRestore" file and follow the on screen instructions.

A huge thanks to @Troodon80 and @CrevsDaak for their help with the coding of this mod.

Click here to download.
Post edited by Tresset on

Comments

• ValamirCleaverValamirCleaver Member Posts: 184
    edited October 2015
    Page 138 of the 2nd Edition AD&D Player's Handbook; top of the 1st column, 3rd paragraph of the spell description: "Slapping or wounding awakens affected creatures but normal noise does not. Awakening requires one entire round."

The Hopelessness effect - Page 157; top of the 1st column, 6th complete paragraph: "7. Hopelessness: The affected creatures submit to the demands of any opponent: surrender, get out, etc. Otherwise, the creatures are 25% likely to do nothing in a round, and 25% likely to turn back or retreat. It counters (and is countered by) hope."

The entire spell descriptions for context:

Sleep (Enchantment/Charm)
    Range: 30 yards
    Components: V, S, M
    Duration: 5 rounds/level
    Casting Time: 1
    Area of Effect: Special
    Saving Throw: None

When a wizard casts a sleep spell, he causes a comatose slumber to come upon one or more creatures (other than undead and certain other creatures specifically excluded from the spell’s effects). All creatures to be affected by the sleep spell must be within 30 feet of each other. The number of creatures that can be affected is a function of Hit Dice or levels. The spell affects 2d4 Hit Dice of monsters. Monsters with 4 + 3 Hit Dice (4 Hit Dice plus 3 hit points) or more are unaffected. The center of the area of effect is determined by the spellcaster. The creatures with the least Hit Dice are affected first, and partial effects are ignored.

For example, a wizard casts sleep at three kobolds, two gnolls, and an ogre. The roll (2d4) result is 4. All the kobolds and one gnoll are affected (1/2 + 1/2 + 1/2 + 2 = 3 1/2 Hit Dice). Note that the remainder is not enough to affect the last gnoll or the ogre.

Slapping or wounding awakens affected creatures but normal noise does not. Awakening requires one entire round. Magically sleeping opponents can be attacked with substantial bonuses (see Combat, page 90).

The material component for this spell is a pinch of fine sand, rose petals, or a live cricket.

Emotion (Enchantment/Charm)
    Range: 10 yards/level
    Components: V, S
    Duration Special
    Casting Time: 4
    Area of Effect: 20-foot cube
    Saving Throw: Neg.

When this spell is cast, the wizard can create a single emotional reaction in the subject creatures. The following are typical:

1. Courage: This emotion causes the creatures affected to become berserk, fighting with a +1 bonus to the attack dice, causing +3 points of damage, and temporarily gaining 5 hit points. The recipients fight without shield, and regardless of life, never checking morale. This spell counters (and is countered by) fear.

2. Fear: The affected creatures flee in panic for 2d4 rounds. It counters (and is countered by) courage.

3. Friendship: The affected creatures react more positively (e.g., tolerance becomes goodwill). It counters (and is countered by) hate.

4. Happiness: This effect creates joy and of a feeling of complacent well-being, adding +4 to all reaction rolls and making attack unlikely unless the creatures are subject to extreme provocation. It counters (and is countered by) sadness.

5. Hate: The affected creatures react more negatively (e.g., tolerance becomes negative neutrality). It counters (and is countered by) friendship.

6. Hope: The effect of hope is to raise morale, saving throw rolls, attack rolls, and damage caused by +2. It counters (and is countered by) hopelessness.

7. Hopelessness: The affected creatures submit to the demands of any opponent: surrender, get out, etc. Otherwise, the creatures are 25% likely to do nothing in a round, and 25% likely to turn back or retreat. It counters (and is countered by) hope.

8. Sadness: This creates unhappiness and a tendency toward maudlin introspection. This emotion increases chances of being surprised by -1 and adds +1 to initiative rolls. It counters (and is countered by) happiness.

All creatures in the area at the instant the spell is cast are affected unless successful saving throws vs. spell are made, adjusted for Wisdom. The spell lasts as long as the wizard continues to concentrate on projecting the chosen emotion. Those who fail the saving throw against fear must roll a new saving throw if they return to the affected area.

The relevant portion of Combat, page 90:

Table 51: COMBAT MODIFIERS
    Situation Attack Roll Modifier
    Attacker on higher ground +1
    Defender invisible -4
    Defender off-balance +2
    Defender sleeping or held Automatic*
    Defender stunned or prone +4
    Defender surprised +1
    Missile fire, long range -5
    Missile fire, medium range -2
    Rear attack +2

*If the defender is attacked during the course of a normal melee, the attack automatically hits and causes normal damage. If no other fighting is going on (i.e., all others have been slain or driven off), the defender can be slain automatically.
    Post edited by ValamirCleaver on
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    edited October 2015
    @ValamirCleaver I don't really care. Besides, this game uses an adaptation of the D&D rules and was never meant to exactly follow the official D&D rules. Another thing to keep in mind is that this mod was meant to revert the unconscious state to its original behavior (from before the devs, IMHO, haphazardly changed the behavior to something that made little sense for the majority of things that could cause the state) and that affects far more than one single spell. Do you think, for instance, that it makes more sense that taking damage after being impaled and nailed to the ground by Ixil's Spike should make you able to get up and move around again? How about being blown back by a dragon's wing buffet? Should damage suddenly make you able to get up and move around again? The change of made to the unconscious state was, as I said before, IMHO, done haphazardly and without very much thought at all given to the far reaching effects of the change. I have simply reverted that change to what it was like previously. If you don't like the mod then don't use it. Others who do like the mod can use it if they want. There is no problem with having differing opinions on this matter, but this is not the proper place to discuss it.
  • ValamirCleaverValamirCleaver Member Posts: 184
    Tresset said:

but this is not the proper place to discuss it.

But yet ironically you're discussing it...
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    @ValamirCleaver I simply took exception to you coming here, the thread for my mod, posting facts (which are more or less irrelevant to me) like a know-it-all and thereby implying that I had erred in making this mod. Because of this I decided to enlighten you on the reasons I decided to create this mod as well as suggest a more courteous way to conduct yourself. Doing these things is not partaking in a discussion on the merits of the change to the unconscious state or on what the behavior of the state ought to be or on what the behavior of specific spells which use the state as an effect ought to be.

Now, because I am a nice guy, I will give you another chance. Should you have a constructive suggestion (which is actually formatted as a suggestion) on how I could possibly change my mod I may actually be willing to consider attempting to implement it; should I find the time or inclination to work on BG again. Otherwise I would prefer you find another place to tell people how things ought to be in your opinion.