Skip to content

[17103] [Mac] Crash to desktop after upgrading to OSX El Capitan 10.11.1

diffygdiffyg Member Posts: 18
edited October 2015 in BG:EE Bugs (v1.3)
Hi everyone, I've been experiencing very frequent crashes to desktop when trying to do map transitions since I upgraded to El Capitan. Anyone else with this issues?
Post edited by Cerevant on
Scooter

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Let's start with the usual gambit of questions:
    - Which game are we talking about here? (BG:EE, BGII:EE, or IWD:EE)
    - Do you have any mods installed? (If so, which ones)
    - Is it specific areas, or does the game just randomly crash when you transition? (if it's specific ones, which ones)
    - Does the issue persist if you start a new game?
  • diffygdiffyg Member Posts: 18
    edited October 2015
    Good questions:

- I'm talking about BG:EE
    - I do have mods installed: BG2 Tweaks, Divine Remix, Rogue Rebalancing, PnP Free action, SCS and Atweaks
    - I don't think there's a specific area. I crashed trying to get out of Nashkel, FAI, the area where Brage is and maybe one more. The crash happens when the character gets to the edge of the map and the game tries to load the world map.
    - I haven't tried starting a new character, but it persists through game restarts and computer restarts

I should say I had no problems with this setup before installing El Capitan. Thanks for taking a look!
  • StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
    Same here. The world map is displayed and after selecting the new area the game crashes.

I wouldn't say "very frequent crashes" but a few crashes once in a while. Compared to no crashes at all before. My BG:EE is modded moderately: BG2 Tweaks and BG1NPC.

It happens both on my old iMac (2009) and a Retina Macbook (2012).
  • KifadaKifada Member Posts: 17
    I have this too. After updating to El Captain, BGEE + SCS crashes in the world map when selecting the target area.
    Sorry, yes it's as the others said it crashes when selecting the target area. Just happened to me first thing after starting the game when trying to go from are north of FAI to the bridge.
  • KifadaKifada Member Posts: 17
    Saving to a standard slot and reloading from it fixed the crashes so far. It may just be a corruption of the quick save data.
    I'm not sure what you mean by a standard slot, but I tried saving to a new save and reloading and also saving to quick save and reloading and the game crashed on first map transition both times. Would the crash report help?
    edited October 2015
    I took a look at the crash reports. I'm surely no expert in OSX programming, but all crashes look quite similiar. These are the last 4 beamdog modules active at crash time:

com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition 0x00557302 CSoundMixerImp::CleanUp() + 152 (ChSoundMixer.cpp:752)
    11 com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition 0x00557265 CSoundMixer::CleanUp() + 19 (ChSoundMixer.cpp:179)
    12 com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition 0x0054e625 CChitin::UninitSound() + 161 (Chitin.cpp:1506)
    13 com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition 0x0026ef14 CScreenWorldMap::OnAreaMouseClick(unsigned long, CPoint const&) + 2264 (infscreenworldmap.cpp:1857)

I like to relate my last action "Click on the Wordmap to select the new target area" with the last line. After that something goes wrong with the sound.

I will reinstall the BG:EE with the same mods except bg1npcmusic. Perhaps something is wrong with the sound files.

I would be nice if someone at Beamdog could acknowledge the problem.
    edited October 2015
    Sadly uninstalling bg1npcmusic doesn't solve the problem.

Are BG2:EE and IWD:EE affected in the same way?
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Have you tried it with an un-modded install?
    I haven't but it seems between me, Stefan0 and Kifada there is no one mod we all have and yet we all experience crashes.
    After approx 15 hours of playing I just had my first BG2EE crash. The crash report looks *very* similiar (read: is equal) to the BGEE crash reports cited above.

Now all we can do is to wait until either beamdog or Apple fixes this bug. At least the next maintenance release of El Capitan (10.11.1) should be available soon.

No replies from Beamdog? Just a "yes we can replicate on our macs" or "no we can't replicate the bug" would be help already.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2015
    Its not something I've ever seen on Lion or Yosemite (at least from what I recall). It might something specific to El Capitan.
    Post edited by elminster on
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    edited October 2015
    I've recently upgraded my Mac to El Capitan (2007 MBP), I'll try to get some time to take a look at it.

For all of you experiencing this, it's happening at area transition correct? ALWAYS?

What version of the game are you all running? And where was it purchased from? (Note: I don't generally play off my Mac, so if this is a dumb question my apologies in advance...)

Do you have other programs open on your Macs at the time? Anything running in the background that isn't a standard Daemon on the OS?

Is everyone experiencing this after an extended amount of time playing? Or are some of you getting this "quickly"? It sounds like you're each getting through several area transitions before this occurs?

Again, I'll see what I can take a look at this evening and try to repro, however, as with all of these, getting a *consistent* crash is going to be important to getting this reported and fixed.

--Illydth
    elminsterdiffygJuliusBorisov
    Let's see, I'm running BGEE on a 2012 Retina MBP (retinas were always more prone to weird stuff, so maybe worth mentioning)

It always happens the same way on area transitions as described above, and has happened to me first thing after opening the game.

I purchased the game from the app store and usually have lots of stuff tbh, but mostly default apps like finder, mail, safari, calendar, reminders.

@elminster yeah, I never had problems before El Capitan either.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    Played for about 30 minutes off a build from Beamdog (not from the Mac Store, but it should correspond to the current version of BG:EE you all have).

From the starting zone I opened up and transitioned through:
    AR2600 - Candlekeep
    AR2700 - Zone East of Candlekeep (Gorion Killed)
    AR3200 - High Hedge
    AR3300 - Beregost
    AR2800 - North of Beregost
    AR2300 - Friendly Arm Inn
    AR3100 - South of Candlekeep
    And I THINK AR3600 though I could be incorrect with that.

No issues other than in AR2800 I was getting looping combat music after killing something (combat music kept playing, did not quit till I zoned). Other than that, a 2007 MBP (non-Retina) doesn't seem to be experiencing an issue upon zone unless someone feels it's more to do with how far in the game you've gotten or how long you play. Have you noticed looping combat music just before this crash?

This could be a symptom of the way El Capitan handles sound and the sound subsystem on the Macs in question. Unfortunately, this is not enough to get a reproduction case for this issue.

We need more help. Can we get some consolidated information on what generations of Macs we're seeing this issue on? I have "2012 MBP Retina" from @diffyg. Who else is experiencing this that can help with hardware or a repro case?

Also, if you are getting a crash dump, there may be a dumps folder out there whereby you can package up a dump file, the executable file and the chitin.key file as well as the crash report if you can get it, and send it along as an attachment here. Someone more Mac Oriented(tm) is going to have to step in here and identify some steps for getting crash dumps off a Mac.

--Illydth
    elminsterJuliusBorisovlolienLeoNegus
    edited October 2015
    For me it happens both on a late 2009 27" iMac and a 2012 MBP Retina. Most of the crashes happened when leaving Nashkel. Most but not all.

The crash file and chitin.key are attached as Archive.zip. Do you really need the 2.64 GB binary? It was installed recently (October 5th) from beamdog.
  • AlmateriaAlmateria Member Posts: 257
    I guess you could call it... El Crapitan.
  • shedendblueshedendblue Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2015
    I have just run into the same issue. Ran BG EE without issue on my Macbook Pro Retina (early 2015). Updated to El Capitan and now I'm getting the crash. I made it from character creation to the Gnoll Stronghold, but when trying to go back to Nashkel it crashes every time. I have not tried to go back to an older game to see if I have crashes on it as well, but I will. I'm running the game without any modifications.

Hope this gets fixed soon - I was relying on running through this game to make my time deployed a bit easier...

**Edit**

I went into another saved game (I like trying out different characters before I settle on one) that had made it past the Gnoll stronghold. I was able to move all around the map (only through chapter 2) without a problem, but if I zoned into the stronghold and then tried going anywhere else from there, it would crash.
    Post edited by shedendblue on
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2015
    So for the people experiencing this. Are you loading an older save created when you were using a previous Mac OS? Likewise do you get the same issues with a new game?
    Post edited by elminster on
    I've issues with both saved and new games.
    elminster
  • susisusi Member Posts: 4
    Same problem here =(
    It crashed when I choose the next destination on the map. Basically I'm not allowed to exit the area =(((
    Ok, I deleted the game and downloaded a clean copy. Tried zoning out of the gnoll stronghold where I was having my problems and i was able to travel without the game crashing. I'll continue to play (not that I have anything else to do) and see if I run into any problems elsewhere...
    Let us know how it's going !
    Never mind. It allowed me to zone out of the zone I was originally having problems with, but the problem has crept up again in a new zone.

I'll play around with it tomorrow to see if I can identify a pattern. I'm wondering about the sounds - I've been getting stuck with the combat music. If I rest it will reset, but otherwise it stays playing until I zone...
    I started a new game (the one I was playing started with Yosemite). I still keep my character. I've been playing for a few hours (real time) and up to now I had no problems.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437

Never mind. It allowed me to zone out of the zone I was originally having problems with, but the problem has crept up again in a new zone.

I'll play around with it tomorrow to see if I can identify a pattern. I'm wondering about the sounds - I've been getting stuck with the combat music. If I rest it will reset, but otherwise it stays playing until I zone...

The combat music thing is a known bug.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/639951/#Comment_639951
    The bug is getting really annoying. I now have crashes on BG2EE too. Crash files look similiar to their BGEE counterparts. I consider switching to windows.
    AAAAARGH