Skip to content

Dorn sucks

I don't know if it's the constitution or what, but out of my evil party, my mage and thief can outlast Dorn in close quarter combat. My bhallspawn is a blackgaurd so thank bhall I'm almost through bg1 so I can ditch his ass, worst time investment ever

Comments

• GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100

I don't know if it's the constitution or what, but out of my evil party, my mage and thief can outlast Dorn in close quarter combat. My bhallspawn is a blackgaurd so thank bhall I'm almost through bg1 so I can ditch his ass, worst time investment ever

Str19
    Poison Weapons

Yeah, he won't be as good as Charname, as you can minmax stats. But he served me quite well. Was quite instrumental to taking down Drizzt, for example.
  • MirageMirage Member Posts: 81
    Dorn rules!

I can see your point though, since Charname is Blackguard. If it is the first time you get him...
    ...just ditch him after you finish his quest, not much if nothing at all after this banter-wise
  • thelovebatthelovebat Member Posts: 218
    Depends how good of hit point rolls that Dorn gets that effects your opinion of him in close combat. His 19 Strength is really awesome though, all that carrying weight and all that extra damage. His dexterity is decent too so put him in some nice armor and he's pretty good if someone else takes the attention of most enemies in close quarters (like Kagain who has an awesome constitution).

Paladins don't level as fast as a Thief like Imoen, so Thieves and classes that level fast like Bards end up gaining levels and hit points faster especially if they have enough constitution for extra hit points per level. I'd recommend either installing a mod which allows you to use the Neverwinter Nights way of gaining hit points (half the class hit points minimum per level) or just changing the difficulty to the normal setting when leveling up so those like Dorn don't get screwed with poor hit point rolls making them less beefy than some other NPCs.
  • MezmereldaMezmerelda Member Posts: 15
    Yeah, kaigan is my tank. Definate must have. Dorn on my play through just seems like an evil Khalid. Well, khalids worse but Dorn has me reloading as I he's Khalid, him dying and the occasional critical kill from a fireball Trap on half my party are my only reloads. Wondering who for my party on bg2 now though
    Really only grabbed for for the new character experiences, he's alright but he's always first to fall even now that he's lvl7, my main has gotten all the attribute manuals to though so there not even same ballpark. Charnames attributes are 19str 19dex 19con 16int 6wis and 19chr after the manuals, wish there were 2 con manuals so I could get the regeneration...
    Hes got 40hp at level 8 now...lol
    So what is a good evil party for BG2?
  • Edwin, Viconia, Hexxat, Korgan, Dorn. Kill off your least favorite warrior in Hell and grab Sarevok in ToB.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725

*Compared to other companions and not min-maxed charnames * Dorn is very powerful.

• GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Dorn v. Ajantis

The 2 'paladin' NPCs. Ajantis was usually a good pick for good parties in vanilla BG, so lets see how he compares to Dorn.

Dorn:
    S19 Dex16 Con14 Int10 Wis15 Cha16

Ajantis:
    S17 Dex13 Con16 Int12 Wis13Cha17

So Dorn gets +2 strength, +3 Dex, +3 Wis, -2 Con, -2 Int, -1 Cha. That is a pretty huge swing in Dorn's favor. He lets you give the gloves of dexterity to someone else, can still be a party leader, and hits *much* harder than Ajantis.

But what about special abilities?

Dorn:
    * Poison Attack
    * Aura of enemy debuff
    * Can heal himself by draining enemy HP

Ajantis:
    * Can give an AC bonus to himself or allies
    * Can heal himself or allies
    * Detect evil

Again, I'd give this one to Dorn. Poison Attack wrecks everything. Bane of mages, lets you take down Drizzt, nothing escapes his poisoned blades. He also brings some serious pain to enemies, doing much more to hurt them than Ajantis can do to protect the party.

-----

Given your party setup, Dorn seems like a great choice.

Tanky Charname + Kagain up front
    Greatsword wielding Dorn behind them

Kagain tanks, Dorn deals loads of damage and further debuffs the enemy. What isn't to like?

• thelovebatthelovebat Member Posts: 218
    edited October 2015
    Grum said:

Dorn v. Ajantis

The 2 'paladin' NPCs. Ajantis was usually a good pick for good parties in vanilla BG, so lets see how he compares to Dorn.

Dorn:
    S19 Dex16 Con14 Int10 Wis15 Cha16

Ajantis:
    S17 Dex13 Con16 Int12 Wis13Cha17

So Dorn gets +2 strength, +3 Dex, +3 Wis, -2 Con, -2 Int, -1 Cha. That is a pretty huge swing in Dorn's favor. He lets you give the gloves of dexterity to someone else, can still be a party leader, and hits *much* harder than Ajantis.

But what about special abilities?

Dorn:
    * Poison Attack
    * Aura of enemy debuff
    * Can heal himself by draining enemy HP

Ajantis:
    * Can give an AC bonus to himself or allies
    * Can heal himself or allies
    * Detect evil

Again, I'd give this one to Dorn. Poison Attack wrecks everything. Bane of mages, lets you take down Drizzt, nothing escapes his poisoned blades. He also brings some serious pain to enemies, doing much more to hurt them than Ajantis can do to protect the party.

-----

Given your party setup, Dorn seems like a great choice.

Tanky Charname + Kagain up front
    Greatsword wielding Dorn behind them

Kagain tanks, Dorn deals loads of damage and further debuffs the enemy. What isn't to like?

It should be noted that Ajantis's weapon of choice, Bastard Swords, got a buff in the Enhanced Edition. Oddly enough from completing Dorn's quest you get a really nice Bastard Sword which means Ajantis dual wielding Bastard Swords is a legit option if you do Dorn's quest first. If you have a player character Cavalier and complete Dorn's quest, then you have two Paladins up front who are immune to poison (PC with poison immunity from kit, Ajantis with immunity from equipment).

To me both are must haves for a go at a good party or evil party, unless shaking things up with different sorts of characters on purpose. They make the best party leaders you can get (among NPCs) and dish out some good damage. Ajantis can get the Gauntlets of Dexterity for extra tankiness plus emergency healing if no Cleric, and Dorn can carry a crapton of stuff and has some nice offensive abilities. Dorn is also in the range of Constitution where he can use something like that Claw of Kazgaroth and not have to worry about losing out on hit points, since the difference between 14 Constitution and 7 Constitution is pretty minimal.

Both are characters that end up getting much better later on, and the 19 Strength Dorn has makes up for not getting weapon mastery Fighters would get (or Archers). They are just both really useful to have and have utility, Ajantis with his healing and Dorn with high Strength and Dexterity allowing him to use composite longbows pretty well. I mean yeah a min maxed player character will always look better on paper, but Paladins like these are always a great compliment to the party even if your player character is already a Paladin themselves.
    Ive taken dorn up on my BG2 adventure, and he is much more promising than on the first, plus with him and hexxat, I can have a full evil party :)
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    What difficulty level and what mods are you using @Mezmerelda? I don't want to sound like a pompous a-hole, but I seldom have any NPC die in BG1 so I have trouble understanding your issue.

Dorn may have a point "too" low to give CON bonus, but he still levels as a warrior class and end up with more than necessary hitpoints. Full plate mail, ring/robe of protection and girdle of piercing (if two-handed) give him a decent enough AC to last a long time.
    In BG2 there's the girdle of fortitude to bring his CON up to 18 for 8 hours, which can be equipped and swapped just for the bonus.

I have no trouble using both Dorn and Shar in BG1, both have quite average/low HP pools, but with proper gear they stay alive and dish out the pain. Sometimes the best defense is offensive overkill.
  • DullSkullTheSecondDullSkullTheSecond Member Posts: 243
    Have him use draw upon holy might before level up? Or a potion.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    Temporary CON increases do not affect hit point rolls, unfortunately.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Set the difficulty to Max HP rolls for the first three levels, I always say. Random dice rolls only slightly larger than the damage dice of your enemies are silly. It evens out the playing field, yet still allows Kagain to shine like the constitution star he is.
  • DullSkullTheSecondDullSkullTheSecond Member Posts: 243
    Kilivitz said:

Temporary CON increases do not affect hit point rolls, unfortunately.

Was it a bug that got fixed? I swear I used to do it in the original game.
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    Kaigen said:

Edwin, Viconia, Hexxat, Korgan, Dorn. Kill off your least favorite warrior in Hell and grab Sarevok in ToB.

Precisely right! I generally go for neutral or good parties, but in an evil run-through my main was a half-orc berserker, so in ToB I dropped Korgan and picked up Sarevok. Errr, I then immediately dualed Sarevok over to mage, which is probably not to everybody's taste, but that's up to you.

Dorn is fine, and his ToB quest lets you try and take down not one but two Silver Dragons.
    I grabbed all the best gear and improvements for MyChar, obviously, including the stat increases from WK, but Dorn does well even with relatively low con/HP. At this point it's all about killing the enemy ASAP, which Dorn does quite well. With Thac0 -11, GWW, poison weapon and using that +5 "anti-Carsomyr", Dorn makes enemies disappear.

edited October 2015
    And the Girdle of Fortitude does work to raise HP, at least for me. Unfortunately, my evil crew somehow missed it somewhere along the line. OH well, they did fine without it. Also, I don't know how it worked before, but the version I had only had 1 charge. It was only usable 1x per day, so could not be passed around from char to char.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    edited October 2015
    FrdNwsm said:

And the Girdle of Fortitude does work to raise HP, at least for me. Unfortunately, my evil crew somehow missed it somewhere along the line. OH well, they did fine without it. Also, I don't know how it worked before, but the version I had only had 1 charge. It was only usable 1x per day, so could not be passed around from char to char.

Yeah, this is as intended... a *temporary* (8 hour) boost to survivability.

I think the previous posters were talking about an earlier quirk/bug where using the belt to boost your Constitution before levelling up would actually grant you a *permanent* bonus, even after the item's duration ran out... which is obviously absurd.
  • SkaroseSkarose Member Posts: 247
    edited October 2015
    I'm playing a chaotic evil optimized Blackguard with Dorn in the party and I think Dorn rocks. Originally I had the idea to play a four person party: Fighter (Mainchar/Blackguard), Cleric (Viconia), Mage (Neera), Thief (Safana). But I decided to include Dorn because two Blackguards double the evil fun! I feel if I weren't optimized, I'd totally be overshadowed by Dorn.

I gave Dorn the gauntlets of dexterity and with poison weapon, criticals with two handed sword and his multiple auras, he totally rocks the casbah!

There is nothing like starting a battle with a Safana backstab and as the enemies turn their attention to her sudden deadly appearance, two Blackguards are decloaking with poison weapons in their midst( I have Neera cast Invisibility on Mainchar and Dorn). I am a big fan of my two blackguard party and it wouldn't be the same without Dorn il-Khan!

*Charisma, Constitution and Dexterity tomes have been used by Mainchar at this point.
    (Actual stat roll of 98 total with 18(00) took about six minutes of rolling, I've never seen a 18(00) roll that high before or since.)