Skip to content

Reputation in SoD

In the original BGs nearly all quests lead to +Rep, with the occasional "quest failure" giving -Rep or no Rep. Seeing as quests gave experience and were a lot of the games content, skipping them is not really something the player wants to do. So if you wanted an evil party you would likely compensate for all the +Rep by finding a random innocent and murdering them, or later using the handy Bhaalspawn transformation.

In SoD, I hope Beamdog can bring alternate quest solutions/dialogue-options to most of the content, some leading to +Rep, some leading to -Rep, some leading to no change, without the loss of experience/quest-completion-satisfaction that would come from trying to use an evil party in the originals WITHOUT resorting to random murders. Something like:
Bandits that someone wants removed has hostages:
- Save the hostages by making an extra effort to enter quietly or talking the leader into letting them go +Rep
- Storm the keep head on, telling everyone who tries to use a hostage as a human shield that you don't care, getting them killed but still ending the bandit threat and so completing the quest -Rep
- Storm head on, when confronted with a human shield say you don't want innocents killed but you can't let threats stop you. No Rep change.

Or have those dialogue options that often occur during the "quest turn-in" part, when the NPC tries to give a reward, have an effect:
- "The satisfaction of banishing EVIL is its own reward!" +Rep
- Threaten them to try to get more -Rep
- Ask for more/accept money in a "damn right, we earned it!" way. No Rep change.

"Always happy" mod is of course a simpler way to solve my issue, but this is something I think might be appreciated by a portion of the community. Has there been any word of Beamdog going for something different in this area now that they're doing their own thing?

As an aside: During the announcement they streamed some gameplay with commentary which I watched a night or two after on the twitch channel, but it's gone now. Did anyone save this and upload it elsewhere? Was a reason given for its removal?

Comments