Skip to content

Once Upon a Time (Tv show) - Welcome to Storybrooke! Spoilers if you haven't watched latest episode

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited September 2015 in Off-Topic
The user and all related content has been deleted.
Post edited by [Deleted User] on
BelgarathMTHronaldoNonnahswriterlolienJuliusBorisov

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2015
    BelgarathMTHronaldo
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    If anyone has been missing this great show and would like to start watching from the beginning, it's available for streaming at Netflix.

It's kind of serialized and has a lot of storylines in it, and it jumps around in time and between worlds a lot, so it's probably best to watch it from the beginning. I think it would make pretty good binge watching.
    ronaldo[Deleted User]
  • ronaldoronaldo Member Posts: 263
    Glad to know I'm not the only fan here! I just re-watched the season finale today. Good job starting this thread @Shandyr
    [Deleted User]BelgarathMTH
    edited August 2015
    I just saw that season 1 of "Once Upon A Time" has been posted on YouTube in a free playlist.

EDIT: Okay, I just clicked on "View full episode", and it wanted me to pay $1.99 USD to watch. But still, I think this playlist might be a good way for anyone who isn't sure whether to invest the time to watch the series to decide if they want to.

EDIT#2: Upon farther studying this playlist, it looks like the poster gives you a teaser in high-def, and then gives you the option whether to watch the full episode, in HD no less. But it costs $1.99 USD from whatever site he's trying to promote. Still, I think the playlist might be a good intro to the series for the undecided.
    [Deleted User]
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    BelgarathMTHlolien
    edited August 2015
    @Shandyr, I was wondering about that, too. Perhaps a simple Google search would yield some answers? ... BRB....

http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Merida

OMG - AWESOME! She's the heroine from "Brave", a Disney/Pixar film which I have seen, but did not remember the protagonist's name! She is a female heroine living in a male-dominated VIking-like society and bucking the norms for female heroines everywhere.

I do remember that I had a violin student who told me that "Merida" was her heroine, and had inspired her in her real life!

EDIT: Maybe you'd better watch "Brave" as "preparation" for this season, hmm?
    [Deleted User]
    edited August 2015
    BelgarathMTH
    BelgarathMTH
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I watched all of season 1 and about half of season 2. It was enjoyable so maybe I will go back and watch. I did like "Once upon a time in Wonderland". But then I have always been a huge 'Alice' fan.
    [Deleted User]Nonnahswriter
    edited August 2015
    @Shandyr - thanks for the info. Yeah, I liked '...in wonderland' but don't suspect that I will be terribly broken up by any discontinuity issues between that and OUaT. As a long time Dr Who fan, Discontinuity is the name of the game, particularly between the classic series and the new one. But hey, it is better than not having it.

I am currently trying to make my way through season one of Grimm. It's OK fair as far as it goes, but after binge watching 9 seasons of Supernatural, I find it a bit wanting on a lot of levels. After I get through season 1, I will decide if I go on from there or switch to OUaT.
    [Deleted User]
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    *wonders if this should go in the Unpopular Opinions thread...*

I liked Once Upon a Time in Wonderland better than the original Once Upon a Time.

*runs*
    the_spyder[Deleted User]
    If that's an unpopular opinion than I am guilty of it as well. I watched all of OUaT: in Wonderland faithfully and as it showed. OUaT, I only have watched sporadically and on Netflix, primarily because I was looking for something to watch, and I stopped half way through season 2. Not that it was 'Bad' as apparently I intend to go back. Just that I liked "...In Wonderland" better. And John Lithgow as The Rabbit? Who could not?
    [Deleted User]Nonnahswriter
    edited September 2015
    BelgarathMTH
    BelgarathMTH
    First episode at 8:00 p.m. EDT tonight in the U.S. :)
    [Deleted User]
    BelgarathMTH
    edited September 2015
    BelgarathMTH
    BelgarathMTHlolien
    Watched it, loved it. Wish I could type more, but I have a sprained wrist and thumb, and typing is killing me. I'm only going to be able to type very short posts, if any, for the next week or two. :(
    [Deleted User]
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Shandyr said:

Did I understand her correctly though? Is her Dad dead? :/

That's what it sounded like. :cry:

I really liked it up until the end. I enjoyed Regina's new good-guy-with-attitude role, Hook and Henry messing up, Swan battling her inner darkness, and of course I loved Merida. I also like that they're going into Arthurian legend, as it's one of my favorite stories and less Disney-fied.

Aaaaaand then the ending happened. Really? We're doing the "Let's find out what happened after everyone loses their memories!" thing again? *sigh*
    [Deleted User]lolien
    I'm okay with the lost memories reset. I think the show is at its most interesting when it gets the audience to reconstruct piece by piece what is going on in two different time periods in two different worlds, sometimes even branching into sub-time-periods to provide backstories for events and characters in each of the time periods and worlds. I love it. :)
    lolienBelgarathMTH
    Yes, I was surprised at the turn in Arthur's character, because I wanted to root for him and like him. The show is known for flipping alignments, though - the Evil Queen is good and King Arthur is evil.

There is some precedent for the direction they've chosen in Arthurian legends - in many versions, Arthur turns dark after discovering Guinevere's and Lancelot's affair. The older legends were grittier, darker, and more violent than the romanticized more recent versions of them.

The same sort of thing happened with the fairy tales of the Brothers Grimm. Those stories were originally graphically violent horror stories meant to frighten children into behaving and staying safe. Our more modern versions of the tales have sanitized them, romanticized them, and given them all happy endings that the originals sometimes didn't have.
    [Deleted User]
    edited December 2015
    BelgarathMTH
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    And Merlin isn't in Storybrooke, which means he was either immune to the curse, or...the other possible reason. :(

I was disappointed that Violet's rejection of Henry turned out to be a fabrication. It would have been much more interesting for her character if she were just not interested in him.

I miss awesome Rumpel, personally. I don't like it when he's a coward, and I hope it doesn't take much longer for him to get his backbone.
    BelgarathMTH
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    It's certainly an interesting development for Emma--and the moment where she makes that decision is super powerful--but it makes Violet a much less interesting character than if she were simply "not into him".
    BelgarathMTH
    BelgarathMTHronaldo