Skip to content

Best or most fun class for a first time player (BGT)

AmosAmos Member Posts: 7
edited October 2015 in New Players (NO SPOILERS!)
Hey everyone,

I've read through here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/5989/best-class-for-first-time-player-using-bgt#latest and I want to keep it more open. This is literally the first time I'll play Baldur's Gate, and I've decided to use BGT straight away (I installed everything in this guide, except for SCS (so I also removed the experience cap): http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/the-ultimate-baldurs-gate-experience/). I've been reading through loads of different threads on loads of different websites, and I still don't know what to do. I'm one of those people that spends ages thinking about what they are going to do and planning stuff before they actually play the game.

I have read that the best classes for a first time player are either a fighter, ranger or a paladin (or combinations like cleric/ranger, fighter/mage and so forth), and that mages and bards and so forth are too difficult to play when it's your first time (I don't think I'd care about the extra difficulty to be honest). I've read that mages can't wear armour, so how does a fighter/mage even work, and that cleric/ranger can only use weapons like clubs? That archers get really weak in BG2? Fighters are boring? And more. Anyway, what would you guys recommend?

Comments

• NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Hey, @Amos! Have a :cookie:!
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Play a monk, in the beginning they are relatively weak, but by the time you get to SoA and +3 fisties, they can really start to wreck shop, plus with monks, even if you "mess up" the character build (although I don't really know how you could mess it up) they will still end up to be a powerful character and monks also have a little bit more pizazz than just a normal fighter class, the EE games also added a couple monk kits, so that can help the usefulness of a monk in the earlier levels of bg1
  • AmosAmos Member Posts: 7
    Thanks a lot @bengoshi, I've decided to play a Cavalier. Like you said, I can always start again if I don't enjoy it.

Anyway, I'm going to start creating my character now. I think strength, dexterity and constitution is important for a Cavalier, right? I also really like two-handed weapons, so I think I'll go for that as well.

@Nimran thanks, I guess? @sarevok57 thanks for the suggestion, will probably try out a monk or a bard after I finish the game (if and when). Also, I'm not playing the EE edition, so it won't have Monk kits, I don't think?
    'Thanks, I guess'? Everybody loves :cookie:s, don't they?

On a more serious note, there are plenty of opportunities to try out your character's abilities in the prologue. They should give you a feel for the character, and possibly help you determine what you like best.
  • NihilusNihilus Member Posts: 192
    I'd have recommended a (human) fighter, who I believe is the quintessential 'everyman' in the game. Incidentally, (not so) canon protagonist of the Baldur's Gate is a male human fighter as well. It might be a good idea to have your dexterity and/or intelligence and/or wisdom points at 17 though, just in case you are bored and wish to dual-class your character to a thief/mage/cleric.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @Amos

I envy you, its been so many years since my first time playing Baldur's Gate. Also I can't agree with @bengoshi more, try to avoid going and spoiling things for yourself. I did that to myself and honestly, I kinda regret it now.

Have fun, and gather your party before venturing forth!
    edited October 2015
    @Dragonspear I've only spoiled one thing, to no fault of my own... Read the 4th point in the description here: https://youtu.be/a0wH31Oo2oI (so infuriating and hypocritical!).

I'll probably start playing a bit later tonight or tomorrow, I'm really looking forward to it!
    @bengoshi @Nimran @Dragonspear @Nihilus

I've gotten to Beregost with a party consisting of Xzar, Montaron, Jaheira, Khalid and Imoen, but I got fucked up by an assassin dwarf lol (luckily I saved beforehand). I'm thinking of getting rid of Montaron, because I want to keep Imoen in my party, so I don't really need another thief I guess.

Is it a good idea to get your party members as soon as possible (I've read that if you get them later, they put points into stuff you possible wouldn't want to level if you were in control)? And does getting rid of someone mean that you won't be able to recruit them in the future?
  • NihilusNihilus Member Posts: 192
    Amos said:

And does getting rid of someone mean that you won't be able to recruit them in the future?

Fortunately, no. You gotta remember where you left them though, because they will stay there.

One thing to remember, though, is that some party members come in pairs, like Xzar and Montaron. The pairs cannot be separated without some tricks, so if you get rid of one, then the other will leave too (Xzar will also leave if you drop Montaron, for example).
    @Nimran so be it. I went into the other inn in Beregost and Montaron insulted someone and they attacked us and killed me. I'm contemplating getting Garrick (is he any good?) once I'm able to get into the inn with the assassin dwarf (I declined his request to join us first, because I already had a full party).

I also have another question, apart from getting party members as soon as possible (what are the consequences of not doing this anyway?), what is a recommended composition. What I mean is, like 2 front line fighters, a healer, a thief, a mage and an archer, for example?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    If you get party members later, when your main character is of the higher level, they will be of the higher level as well, this resulting in already distributed proficiencies and skills. But in the same time their HPs will differ from what you get if you have them in your party from the beginning. It's up to you to decide. Do you reload on level ups? Or go with HPs you get for the first time? Or do you play on the easy difficulty and thus get maximum HPs every time?

For BG1, the more ranged fighters, the better. Montaron is a wonderful character, a fighter/thief is very useful. He can be quite helpful with a sling because of his proficiencies and being a halfling. Also, for BG1 2 thieves (or 1.5 in this case) is not bad, it lets you focus their abilites on different things. For example, Imoen can disarm traps and open locks while Monty will hide in shadows and be your scout.

Garrick is a bard, I don't know what you think about bards. A skilled player can use him effectively, but many people think he's weak. If you know how to combine spells/ranged weapons/wands, Garrick is for you.

Because it's your first playthough, take NPCs and try them. If you won't like them, you can always take others. Yes, the NPCs you've left behind won't level up but in the beginning you get little XP so the difference won't be big.
    @bengoshi I have a mod that maximises HP rolls. Also, I changed the difficult from default (easy?) to in the middle, which is normal, I think.

I am leaning towards getting rid of Montaron, because I already have Imoen as a thief. I know you said having 2 thieves isn't bad, but he's evil, got me killed by insulting someone and is constantly arguing with Khalid and Jaheira lol (who I will also probably get rid of later). But it seems that having multiple thieves is very handy, though, so I have to think.

I'm far from a skilled player, so I probably won't use him now. Maybe in the future I will. I'm not sure. I've read about a few characters (I couldn't resist!) and I think I will get Minsc, Dynaheir and Edwin at least, so with Imoen as well. Who would be a good 6th member if I go this route?

Also, one more thing. I found some magic scrolls, and I think you can use them to cast a spell once (and lose the scroll) or write them in your book (so you can memorise them each day). Is this correct, or am I way off?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Amos said:

I think I will get Minsc, Dynaheir and Edwin at least

This is one of those things because of which I've said: play the game and see yourself...

For the magic scrolls, you're right: you can ether scribe them into your spellbook or cast at once.

Kivan is a good choice for BG1 - he's awesome with a bow and can be deadly in melee. Among evil characters, Kagain should be your choice: so many HPs.
    edited October 2015
    @bengoshi I have no idea where they are or how good they are, I just read it makes for funny banter. Anyway, I can't find Garrick after denying him, and I managed to kill the dwarf assassin in the inn by letting Imoen use a wand.

I'm still unsure on how scrolls work. For example, I know have the scrolls magic missile, burning hands and armour. Can scribing them into my spellbook fail or what? I've read that only mages and bards can scribe magic scrolls (Garrick please!), but is there a limit to how much someone can scribe into their spellbook?. And if I use them to cast (instead of scribing), do they disappear after use?

Sorry for asking so many questions by the way. Also, I CAN'T CHOSE WHO I WANT TO HAVE IN MY PARTY, ARGH!

Edit: Jaheira just leveled up, but I can't seem to do anything with it? It says proficiency slots 0 and skills 0 (she already has 2 levels in quarter staff and sling, apparently), but I can't raise anything? So this level up is only useful because she got more HP, or what?
    Post edited by Amos on
    I advice to read through the manuals for the EEs. Yes, you're playing BGT, but the information in the manuals can still answer your questions. While you're in BG1, read only the manuals related to BGEE.

BGEE manuals

http://cdn.baldursgate.com/files/baldurs-gate-survival-guide.pdf
    http://cdn.baldursgate.com/files/baldurs-gate-mastering-melee-magic.pdf

BG2EE manuals

http://www.beamdog.com/files/bg2ee/bg2eemanual1.pdf
    http://www.beamdog.com/files/bg2ee/bg2eemanual2.pdf

In those manuals a lot of things you're asking about are covered. When the game was released, it also came with a manual.
    Amos said:

I know have the scrolls magic missile, burning hands and armour. Can scribing them into my spellbook fail or what? I've read that only mages and bards can scribe magic scrolls (Garrick please!), but is there a limit to how much someone can scribe into their spellbook?. And if I use them to cast (instead of scribing), do they disappear after use?

Edit: Jaheira just leveled up, but I can't seem to do anything with it? It says proficiency slots 0 and skills 0 (she already has 2 levels in quarter staff and sling, apparently), but I can't raise anything? So this level up is only useful because she got more HP, or what?

Yes, the chance of scribing scrolls depend on the user's INT. The amount of spells per spell level that can be scribed also depend on INT. Yes, the scrolls disappear after use.

Not each level up for your characters result in getting proficiencies. The manuals can show you which levels grant additional proficiencies for which classes. A new level can have multiple effects: getting better THAC0, better saving throws. Also, characters with a certain level become immune to certain spells (Sleep, for example).