Skip to content

Alpha Baldur's Gate Builds, Any Exist?

2»

Comments

• fearlessfearless Member Posts: 40
    @WithinAmnesia might have to download the modified chitin.key posted above, (backup other one just in case) and overwrote/replace the original NID one with that new one. The original one will crash WinBif as some of the internal bifentry fields are missing. If you are using that new one and its still crashing, not sure - maybe unblock the files: chitin.key, nid1.bif and nid2.bif - right click on them in explorer, one at a time, go to properties, click unblock button. Let me know if that works.
  • WithinAmnesiaWithinAmnesia Member Posts: 958
    fearless said:

@WithinAmnesia might have to download the modified chitin.key posted above, (backup other one just in case) and overwrote/replace the original NID one with that new one. The original one will crash WinBif as some of the internal bifentry fields are missing. If you are using that new one and its still crashing, not sure - maybe unblock the files: chitin.key, nid1.bif and nid2.bif - right click on them in explorer, one at a time, go to properties, click unblock button. Let me know if that works.

Okay, So I have Windows 8. I cannot find any unblock button "- right click on them in explorer, one at a time, go to properties, click unblock button. Let me know if that works." :(?
  • fearlessfearless Member Posts: 40
    edited October 2015
    @WithinAmnesia not sure if this will help: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/unblock-file-windows-8

Its possible its some other issue thats causing it to crash, im running win7 sp1 and i have UAC off and no anti virus blocking files/apps, hard to say if its just a bug in the program or some other issue. Could try to open WinBif first then navigate to the folder with the bifs and chitin.key in it, instead of opening via the explorer - not sure if win8 features might be slightly different in this case vs what im assuming is on win7. I keep meaning to get VM of win8/10 etc for development purposes, so i might look into this at some point as well. Also does it crash on other bifs - like from IWDEE, BGEE, BG2EE or original IE games? or just the NID stuff?
    WithinAmnesia
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited March 2016

Also Do Not Forget About This Err 'Gem':

Is this real? An abandoned project, maybe? While I find the low-tech, pixelated look exceptionally endearing, the game play is horrible. Especially loading time on every single screen.
    WithinAmnesia
    edited March 2016
    lunar said:

Also Do Not Forget About This Err 'Gem':

Is this real? An abandoned project, maybe? While I find the low-tech, pixelated look exceptionally endearing, the game play is horrible. Especially loading time on every single screen.
    I guess that the producers shared a very similar train of thought and or opinion as to yourself upon this iteration of Baldur's Gate for the game did not find itself released to the public nor even completely finished for that matter.
  • Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Member Posts: 121
    I can remember being in EBgames like in 1999 and either seeing PlayStation 1 copy on their release printouts, demos or maybe just the chapter 1 and 2 PC discs.
    WithinAmnesia
  • Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Member Posts: 121
    edited March 2016
    Anyone know what magazine this is from? I am guessing pcgamer but I would LOVE to get a out of print issue and frame this too!!!

edit: Computer Gaming world issue 163 of march 1998 has this ad.
    Post edited by Wonderboy2402 on
    WithinAmnesia
    Sam_ said:

@Sam_ can you bust into this please please please?

This is the most interesting project I've had in a while! :smiley:
    I expect it to take me a couple of days to complete my initial analysis. The problem with the BIFFs seems to be that the KEY file format was changed between the release of the NID and the actual game. Some of the other formats seem to have changed between then and now also. I can extract the files from the BIFFs, but it will take some voodoo to get all the resources named and working correctly...
    Any news on the demo front?
  • Sam_Sam_ Member Posts: 172

Sam_ said:

I expect it to take me a couple of days to complete my initial analysis. The problem with the BIFFs seems to be that the KEY file format was changed between the release of the NID and the actual game. Some of the other formats seem to have changed between then and now also. I can extract the files from the BIFFs, but it will take some voodoo to get all the resources named and working correctly...
    Not really. This project sort of fell by the wayside in light of other endeavors. If there is a real interest, I can try to pick it up again in my (limited) free time, at least until SoD is released at the end of the month.
    Sam_ said:

[Spoiler]

Sam_ said:

[/Spoiler]

Not really. This project sort of fell by the wayside in light of other endeavors. If there is a real interest, I can try to pick it up again in my (limited) free time, at least until SoD is released at the end of the month.

Okay well I am (at least :V) really curious about that white bow in the demo. I know how these things can be with real life and all but I would really really love to see this cold case get cracked wide open and see what the non-interactive demo had all of those years ago. I want to see if I can add any cut material back into a future mod or update if some really cool 'stuff' arises, like I did with Edwin's Original Portrait XD https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/44467/we-need-to-find-this-cut-1998-edwin-portrait#latest *humble brag* I know I know, I couldn't help myself I am so proud of my detective work XD.
    Skatan
  • modronmodron Member Posts: 13
    Does anybody know about the contents about the "Baldur's Gate Chapters 1 and 2" demo disc? Which build is included there?
    Update: I know now about the Chapters 1 and 2 disc, it must have been released after BG1, because there is already an advertisement for TOTSC
    WithinAmnesia
    I found in a 20 year anniversary report a few pictures (Gamestar Plus), that I have not seen in this thread yet:

WithinAmnesiaThacoBellAedanbob_veng
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Hmmmm, a gold stone UI might look pretty darn good.
    WithinAmnesia