Skip to content

When will Icewind Dale 2: Enhanced Edition comeout ?

SheennoobiSheennoobi Member Posts: 9
Hey guys!
I've read an article somewhere that one of the main reasons why ID2:EE isn't coming out yet is because of the ruleset.

I was wondering how long would it the awesome team at beamdog to "recreate" the engine for the ruleset?

As far as all the things and interviews i saw online the president had like a screen burn from the original version of the game.

So my guess is a good couple of years.
Maybe 5 years from now?

I know im being very impatient here and i know the developers are still working the kinks out of BG:SoD
But in your opinion when do you think will ID2:EE come out?

Comments

• brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited October 2015
    I read blogs and after Siege of Dragonspear there will be unannounced game Adventure Z most likely in modern engine (Unity maybe?). Will it be BG3,IW2EE or some completely new IP, we'll see. Devs will probably reveal roadmap for their projects after the release of BG:SoD.
    They said if they are going to make another enhanced edition it will be easier to do Planescape:T instead IW2.
    http://blog.beamdog.com/2015/01/beamdog-in-2015-year-ahead.html
    http://www.pcgamer.com/nightmares-abound-for-icewind-dale-ii-enhanced-edition-beamdog-boss-says/
    SheennoobiMoradin
  • Ancalagon44Ancalagon44 Member Posts: 252
    It is anyone's guess at this point whether they will do an Enhanced Edition of Icewind Dale 2.

It's probably my favourite infinity engine game, and I would really love it if they would remake it. But, if I was the head of Beamdog, I'm not sure I'd remake it either. You're talking about investing a lot of money in a game that was never very popular to begin with. The effort/reward ratio is not great. Lots of work needed to make it good enough to be called an Enhanced Edition, and a lot of people have flat out either said they don't like it, or would only buy it if it was ported to 2nd edition rules. So, your market is limited.

Planescape: Torment, on the other hand, is regarded by many as being one of the best games ever made. Its massively popular, even today. That would be a much easier sell, but even then, as they have said, it takes a bit more work than IWD:EE did.

You will probably also find that the team is sick of just doing remakes the whole time. I gather they want to do something new and exciting, hence the reason for Siege of Dragonspear and Adventure Z, whatever that is. Everybody loves working on new things!
    Sheennoobi
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited November 2015
    Definetely, I would like Adventure Z takes place in some new fantasy universe. Beamdog needs to grow and create their fresh ideas. Enhancing IE games has quite limitation because they can't just create what they want.
    Really hoping Adventure Z will be some new project like Pillars of Eternity or Divinity Original Sin.

Joshua Sawyer said IW2 development was rushed and the game could be even better if it had longer production time and final touch. So, enhancing it with new engine could take quite long.
    Post edited by brus on
    SheennoobiMoradin
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,146
    I'm thinking right after "The Lord of the Rings II: The Revenge of Gollum" hits the big screen.
    Sheennoobi
  • Ancalagon44Ancalagon44 Member Posts: 252
    @brus

That is my one little bit of hope for IWD2, is that perhaps they would like to release the game the way they would have liked to release it. I mean, I'm sure there was a lot of stuff they had planned that they just did not get to do, because of time and money constraints. So perhaps an IWD2:EE would allow them to finish their unfinished business with IWD2. Make a game they can feel proud.

Perhaps they could put a bit more creativity into IWD2:EE and make more drastic changes in order to achieve their vision of what the game should have been?
    Sheennoobi
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075

When will Icewind Dale 2: Enhanced Edition comeout ?

It will "comeout" when it "comesout."
  • Artas1984Artas1984 Member Posts: 49
    edited November 2015
    IWD2 needs enhanced edition probably the most of all the D&D games. So far it's the worst D&D game i have ever played, because of how HORRIBLE the mechanics, pathfinding and waypoints are in this game.

When i point the characters towards a direction, half of them go to the opposite way without no reason even when there are no obstacles... Amazing..

The NPC's can not surround an enemy properly - while 3 of them understand the waypoints of surrounding a monster, the rest linger in some stupid row behind my fighting heroes and can not navigate around the monsters even when there are no obstacles..

Gosh this game is frustrating. I Iike it and at the same time i do not...
    Post edited by Artas1984 on
    Sheennoobi
  • SheennoobiSheennoobi Member Posts: 9
    Thank you so much everyone!
    Every single response is so insightful!
    JuliusBorisov
  • Artas1984Artas1984 Member Posts: 49
    Rogues can not search and hide/move silently at the same time! Is this because of the rule-set? I already don't remember how was it in previous games... It's super frustrating! I so much expect to sneak out into an enemy base hidden and detect traps at the same time but i can not! Either stay just hidden or just search visible. This is a facepalm...
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    You've never been able to do that in any DnD game. It's to the point where I don't even think about it anymore. Hide in shadows, move forward, stop, find traps, wait a bit, hide in shadows, move forward, bring up party... etc. etc. etc. Or you could just use invisibility and keep searching for traps.
    atcDavesemiticgoddessAstroBryGuy
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Artas1984 said:

Rogues can not search and hide/move silently at the same time! Is this because of the rule-set? I already don't remember how was it in previous games... It's super frustrating! I so much expect to sneak out into an enemy base hidden and detect traps at the same time but i can not! Either stay just hidden or just search visible. This is a facepalm...

But so far you can have your mage/sorcerer cast invisibility on your rogue. Invisible rogues can search and disarm traps without disabling the invisibility.

Also, in Neverwinter nights they had solved this issue . Stealth and Search abilities decreased a rogue's movement rate, so you could use them together, but the rogue would be twice as slow.
    FinneousPJ
  • CrusismCrusism Member Posts: 6
    I need this Enhanced Edition. T_T
    It would mean the world to me and my elder brother; we both used to play this together when I was bedridden. Now, he's bedridden and, if I could return to this beautiful nostalgia, I would be so ever grateful to return to the skeleton of a town.
    DJKajurudok0zhivago