Skip to content

Assassin->Mage Playthrough - Need Advice

Ancalagon44Ancalagon44 Member Posts: 252
edited November 2015 in Challenges and Playthroughs
Hey guys,

An idea for a playthrough popped into my head this morning. I wanted to share it with you guys and then I need some advice - specifically on alignment.

Some spoilers below, you have been warned!

Okay so my idea was, what about a "humourous" playthrough in which the protagonist is a selfish, evil Assassin who really takes after his father - in other words, a cold blooded murder. However, at the same time, he appears to be a very charming and agreeable fellow. People die - a lot - in his presence, but somehow blame can never be pinpointed on him.

So, it would be a solo runthrough, except where he needs a bit of help. Here is the kicker though - every NPC who appears in BG1, and who does not appear in BG2, must die an "accidental death". He is the spawn of the God of Murder after all, and does actually want to take his father's place. He could add them to the party, give them a cursed weapon, and then send them into battle, for instance. Retreating to a safe distance to watch the fun perhaps.

Because the purpose of the playthrough would be more about the hilarity of the creative deaths rather than the difficulty, it would be a Core difficulty as many reloads as you like playthrough.

My question was actually about the characters alignment. You see, to me, he seems Neutral Evil. He is selfish in the extreme, and would use and all means to get what he wants - notably to become the next Lord of Murder. At the beginning of BG1, he would not be aware of what he is, but he would know he is a compulsion to murder.

However, selecting Neutral Evil presents a conundrum in that other characters are not supposed to be aware that he really is a cold blooded murdering bastard. People should die around him but he should have plausible deniability. "It wasn't my fault that she picked up that Halberd that she isn't proficient in and charge that Ogre".

Thoughts on this playthrough? Is this something you guys would want to read or follow?

EDIT: Would probably dual him to mage in BG2 at some point, either at Levels 13, 17 or 21. Would be nice to have UAI.

Oh and metagaming totally allowed. I'm normally an extreme powergamer, so this would be the most RP playthrough I would have ever done. But, I don't see the point in not using metagaming knowledge.

Comments

• joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Reputation has more to do with others' perception of you than your alignment, so maintaining a high rep with Neutral Evil alignment would make sense. Paladins would be able pick up on your alignment, though, so you might RP that Ajantis is very leery of you.

I think you can do better than having your party members do blatantly ridiculous things like attacking ogres with weapons they don't know how to use, at least without explanation. It'll be more fun if you make up stories about how you tricked each of them into getting themselves killed, preferably with more elaborate stories for NPCs who have high INT or WIS.
  • Ancalagon44Ancalagon44 Member Posts: 252
    Thanks. I suppose it would take a while to build that reputation up.

I'll have to think about some more plausible deniability deaths. Having the ability to cast Domination or even Charm Person would help in this regard I guess.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    This sound very amusing actually! I would sure like to read your playthrough, if you write one.

Regarding alignment, you could also choose LE and portrait him as a scheeming, devious, but very smart character who knows how to use society's laws and regulations to his full benefit. Hiding behind laws when needed, finding loopholes and slightly circumventing them when possible.

And regarding coming up with funny deaths, you could play it out as if your charname pit different NPC's against eachother. Like having a thief pickpocket a good character then having someone like Ajantis see it and feeling 'forced' to kill the thief NPC. Then you pit the other crew against Ajantis because he killed the thief. It would be quite devious indeed to sow that kind of distrust and chaos within your own party.
    Having Minsc killing a team member by letting Charname agitate him 'til he goes completely berzerk and looses control could be another way.
    Sending someone in, say a cleric, with sanctuary or a thief with invis to 'scout', then perhaps your charname just happens to dispel that sanctuary(invis and suddenly your party member finds him/herself completely sorrounded. Your charname and the rest of the party have to watch in despair while the party member is torn into pieces by the enemies.
    Good ideas Skatan!

Damn I have a full work day ahead of me!

I thought of names for him - either Redrum or Laahb. Probably Laahb.

The thing is, the following characters would have to survive (that I can think of)
    Minsc
    Jaheira
    Khalid
    Dynaheir
    Safana
    Xzar
    Montaron
    Drizzt
    Imoen
    Ajantis

Unless I just disregard canon and murder them anyway....
    Also Coran, Quayle, Faldorn, Garrick, and Tiax.
    Okay, I've put together a Death List.

My RP justification is that I am the protagonist's patron. When he was 15, I started whispering to him. I told him he was destined for greater things, and all he needed to do was listen to me and do some things in return.

After he leaves Candlekeep, the Death List below will be provided to him. Every name on that list needs to die such that blame will be pointed elsewhere (or nowhere).

The Death List

Alora
    Branwen
    Eldoth
    Kagain
    Kivan
    Shar-Teel
    Skie
    Xan
    Yeslick

@joluv And Neera, Dorn, Rasaad and Baeloth. This playthrough will allow me to experience their quests, which is quite cool.

I've also decided that Minsc will be on the safe list, even in BG2.

Yoshimo the Betrayer will die a Betrayer's death, and Bossy Boots Jaheira will get chunked. I want her chunked into little pieces so that even a resurrection spell could not help. A Dragon maybe?
    Whoa, meta-roleplaying! Sounds like fun. I look forward to following your playthrough.
    edited November 2015
    Thanks! Will start it tonight.

Well I needed a way to explain why certain people should die and certain people should not die.

EDIT: I've been thinking about dual classing, and I think I'm going to dual at level 13. I don't want to spend half of the game without my assassin abilities. Hopefully I can gain a lot of experience quickly after dualling. Scrolls will help.
    Post edited by Ancalagon44 on

I thought of names for him - either Redrum or Laahb. Probably Laahb.

Llahb, the Dog of Redrum. :smiley:

Good start, good read!

(A pretty insane stat roll as well.)
  • RideratRiderat Member Posts: 136
    yup, seems like a fun run, I would like to see you getting trough bg this way, killing all of the npc's that have met you :)