Skip to content

IWD2 Intelligence 10 vs 3 - how much skill points will i get?

Artas1984Artas1984 Member Posts: 49
edited November 2015 in Off-Topic
IWD2. Something i did not find in the manual or anywhere else in the whole internet, that is why i am asking here.

Let's say i start with a dwarf fighter/cleric with 10 INT (0 mod.)
Let's say i start with a dwarf fighter/cleric with 3 INT (-4 mod.)

When i level up, i notice i do get 1 point of skill even if my intelligence is as low as 3!

But if my intelligence will be 10, i still will get only 1 point of skill, correct?

If i am human, than even with INT 3 i will get 2 skill points per level?

This very important to know before creating a new party, i've decided to start the game per new, because i messed up my skill points and don't like how my characters are getting skill points - some are getting too many unnecessary points, while others lack them..

Comments

• Ancalagon44Ancalagon44 Member Posts: 252
    Yes what you have said above is true. You always get at least one skill point per level, and humans always get at least 2.
  • Artas1984Artas1984 Member Posts: 49

Yes what you have said above is true. You always get at least one skill point per level, and humans always get at least 2.

So there is no need to have 10 INT, because i will still get only a single point? It's either 3 or 12?
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    With 10 Int you should be getting unmodified skill points per level. In this case 2.

With 10 Int you should be getting unmodified skill points per level. In this case 2.

For a non human?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Skill points also depend on class. Thieves get lots of them; fighters just get one point per level. Humans get an extra one, which INT does not remove. But a non-human cleric with low INT should get only one point per level. I've played such characters and they only got the one point.
    A 10 int non human will get 1 skill point per level, same as the 3 int non-human as you say. A 3 int human will get 2 skill points per level, and an 18 int human will get 5 skill points per level.

Rogues get bonus skill points per level, especially at first level, although I'm not sure how many. I think wizards might also get bonus skill points.
    I thought 3rd edition fighters get 2 skill points.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    IWD2 cut the # of skill points since they only implemented a limited range of skills.
    Fighters receive bonus feats, not bonus skill points.
    @Ancalagon44 Fighters should be getting 2 skill points per DnD rules. I didn't remember they changed it for IWD2.
    Remember that IWD2 does not implement straight 3E. Barbarians notably are different in the benefits they obtain and the levels on which they obtain them.

I can't remember if Fighters do in fact receive bonus skill points - I don't think they do. I know for a fact that fighters receive bonus feats, but I don't think they receive bonus skill points. Fighters don't use many skills and don't have many class skills. By class skills, I mean skills that cost a single point to increase.
    edited November 2015
    Yes, fighters do not get additional skill points, but they get additional feats every 2 level while other classes get additional feats every 4 level, except free class feats. I wish discipline (CON modifier) skill had been implemented in Infinity games, but we had to wait till NWN to see that...
    Well there is concentration, which does depend on constitution. Concentration determines your chance to have your spellcasting interrupted by damage.
  • AlmateriaAlmateria Member Posts: 257
    3rd Ed fighters suuuucckkkkk and that's why almost every sensible build only uses them as a two-level dip
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    Almateria said:

3rd Ed fighters suuuucckkkkk and that's why almost every sensible build only uses them as a two-level dip

4-level dip is quite acceptable for characters who get lots of attacks, like TWF rogues or Rapid Shot archers.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Fighters are at level 1, 2, or 4. Never anything else.
    Monks are at level 1, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, or 30. Never anything else.
    Rogues are at level 1, 2, or 10.
    Bards are at 1, 5, or 11.
    Rangers are at level 1, always.
    Paladins are at level 1, also.

There are some pretty strong incentives in IWD to only take so many levels in certain classes. Sometimes powergaming just decreases the variety of gameplay.