Skip to content

An Upgraded Silver Sword?

I always thought the two-handed sword options in SoA and ToB were uninspired.

You've got the mighty Carsomyr, but you have to play a paladin to wield it.
Lilarcor is decent as an early game weapon, but I really, really get tired of the sword's verbal output in no time flat.
Harbinger is not my thingy, especially when battling a foe among friends.
+4 Warblade is boring - no other properties other than being +4.

Then you have the Silver Sword - a weapon with an interesting backstory and a relic to boot, that has a 25% chance of decapitating your target with each hit. But, even when you get it late in SoA, it's just +3, with no option to upgrade. Kind of an oversight, imo.

Is there a way via EEKeeper to alter the sword's stats?

Comments

• MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    No, but you can use DLTCEP or NearInfinity to edit it. Right now, the worst drawback is that the vorpal effect happens only 25% of the time *and* there is a saving throw versus paralysis/poison/death at -2 to avoid the effect. There are so many enemies in this game who have a base save versus death of 8 or lower that even with the -2 they will save more often than they fail so it almost isn't worth having this weapon at all. There are a handful of enemies who are immune to opcode 13 (kill)--the sword won't do anything to them at all, except a little damage.

If you wanted to upgrade this weapon to make it something to be feared then either remove the saving throw, increase the probability that the vorpal effect happens, or both. I could 33% with no saving throw or 50% with a saving throw as viable options. If you wanted to simulate a "vorpal" effect to which nothing can be immune--how can you be immune to having your head cut off?--then replace "kill" with "1000 points of slashing damage" (opcode 12, damage type 'slashing', amount = 1000).
    lolienJuliusBorisov
  • demon9675demon9675 Member Posts: 30
    edited September 2015
    There's always Gram the Sword of Grief +5, Psion's Blade +5, and Soul Reaver +4 (if you're not a Good character). Those are all pretty great weapons.

It would be nice if Silver Sword could be upgraded past +3, but Ravager's a good non-sword option if you want to decapitate things!
    joluvDaevelonsemiticgoddessJuliusBorisov
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    There's also Ir'revrykal, if you're playing EE.
  • MegiddoMegiddo Member Posts: 25
    edited September 2015
    Gram never did it for me - goofy name and odd properties for a high-level game environment (poison?) I usually play good characters, so no Soul Reaver for me. Psion's Blade is ok (+5 Lilarcor sans voice), but it's property is defensive (mind protection).

And I'd rather not invest pips in halberds.
    @Mathsorcerer: Is there a NearInfinity tutorial for dummies somewhere?
    Oooh, I'll have to find out more about this "Ir´revrykal"!
    Nuts - Ir'revrykal is an evil blade. No touchy.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    edited September 2015
    I don't really see how Lilarcor is so "uninspired." I understand if you dislike the sword because its quotes really annoy you, but I fail to see how that makes it uninspired. I should also mention that the Warblade deals 1d12 damage; I guess that's what's special about it (Carsomyr also deals 1d12 damage, but only good pals can wield it).

Also, I'd like Harbinger a lot more if it created a fireball with each hit (which would also damage the wielder), so if you wanted to use it you'd have to build your tactics around it, yet if you used it well it could do some incredible things. Weapons like that would make the game much more interesting than it already is.
    semiticgoddess
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Megiddo said:

@Mathsorcerer: Is there a NearInfinity tutorial for dummies somewhere?

Possibly. Check the NearInfinity thread over in General Modding. The program is fairly straightforward, though, so there may not be any need for tutorials.

Now that I think about it I didn't consider raising the enchantment level above 3.
  • iavasechuiiavasechui Member Posts: 274

how can you be immune to having your head cut off?

Well a hydra kinda is but then again its not like we fight any of those in this game...
    Mathsorcerer
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137
    Adamantium spine.
    semiticgoddesssarevok57
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838

Tis naught but a flesh wound
    Mathsorcerersemiticgoddessvalamyrsarevok57
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903

Duck.
    joluvDragonspearJuliusBorisov
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Don't store anything important in your head.
    semiticgoddessJuliusBorisov
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    The Silversword doesn't need upgrading so much as correcting.

ALL Silverswords are supposed to be +5 Vorpal* swords (just boosting it to +5 instead of +3 is all that is really needed). They're all Githyanki artifacts made in the image of the Sword of Gith, and are considered holy relics which is why they're so possessive of them. (their other special quality is the ability to sever astral cords, an ability ONLY Silverswords possess, but that ability will never come into play in BG)

*A roll of 20 instantly slays the enemy with no save via decapitation, unless they're unaffected by decapitations.
    DragonspearsemiticgoddessDurenas
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Such an item already exists in the game files though, it is Dark Justice+5 and is normally wielded by The Winged (Planetar from BP20, but you might as well roleplay it as an upgraded Silver Sword.
    I did so once in my The Winged playthrough:
    Played with random 2H swords till I got Silver sword.
    Then due to its main new ability (on-hit magic damage+heal) being similar to Foebane's upgrade which cast Larloch's minor Drain on hit I just roleplayed Dark Justice+5 as an enhancement for Silver Sword using Fflar's Scabbard (normally used for Foebane) as the component.
    It will require only EEkeeper and no manipulations of the game files.

Here are Dark Justice abilities:
    Thac0+5
    On-hit 1d6 magic damage, heals the wielder for the same amount.
    15% chance of decapitation (No save)
    Damage: Slashing 1d10+5,+5 against Chaotic
    Speed Factor:5

And silver sword:
    Thac0+3
    25% chance of decapitation (save vs death at -2 to negate)
    Damage: Slashing 1d10+3
    Speed factor: 7
    JuliusBorisovMegiddoGrum
    Welp, it turns out that Dark Justice can only be wielded by lawful stupid... uh, I mean... good characters.

My character is neutral good, because that's the way he rolls. He's into redeeming folks (Viconia, Sarevok) and harnessing evil for the greater good (Edwin).

I could just "place" the sword in my character's hands via EEKeeper, but that just feels wrong.
  • TheMadVikingTheMadViking Member Posts: 35
    @Megiddo

I remember it as aimed for any lawful alignment (good, neutral, evil). Just used cluaconsole to get it and took a screenshot to see if it was true.

Unless there is some hidden effect that only make lawful good characters use it then you can change your alignment to lawful neutral. It kind of fits with the neutral good alignment in some areas. Using evil/accepting evil if it serves your purpose. The good part is subjective and you can roleplay from there.

Why a good lawful aligned character can wield a githyanki sword (which normally is held by lawful evil characters) are beyond me.
  • TheMadVikingTheMadViking Member Posts: 35
    However if some who has the skills to edit the already existing silver sword to a +5 or edit the requirements for Dark Justice so it doesn't only allow lawful alignment to wield it that would be awesome. I have played around with DLTCEP and have not succeeded yet.
  • kimmuryielkimmuryiel Member Posts: 89
    Sorry to necro this, but wanted to point out a mod I found that will make Lilarcor shut up. There was a playthrough where I had it so long that I visibly and mentally cringed every time he piped up. That was a couple years ago and I still cringe just thinking about hearing him. The weapon description is not wrong :D

I also conveniently have a link to it. If you'd rather google it up yourself, it is Anomaly Tweak Pack
    https://www.baldursgateworld.fr/lacouronne/le-bazar-de-l-aventurier/24228-atp-nouveau-mod-anomaly-tweak-pack-v3-0-a.html