Skip to content

Wisdom

Is there any gear that adds to Wisdom over the course of the game other than Tomes? A helmet for example?

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    I think there is one ioun stone and one axe which both give a +1 bonus. That is about all I remember without looking it up in the game's resources.
    semiticgoddessJuliusBorisovsarevok57lunar
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Also, you can get a permanent +1 to Charisma and Wisdom in Hell for Charname at the end of Shadows of Amn, and another +1 to Wisdom for any party member from the Machine of Lum the Mad on the 4th level of Watcher's Keep.
    JuliusBorisovsarevok57
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    Yeah and the Deck of Many things. I'm just trying to see if I can get a 25 Wisdon in a gnome
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    It's possible to get the +1 to CHA and WIS more than once in Hell. You go up to the big door with the right Tear of Bhaal, click the door, and drop the Tear from your inventory. You'll get the bonus, but it won't remove the Tear from your inventory, since it's already on the ground, so you can use it again. You're still limited to 5 bonuses, and you still can't get both the good and evil bonuses, but you can arrange and duplicate the bonuses you want.
    sarevok57
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    From what I'll I recall, the highest wisdom achievable is 24 unfortunately. And that is 3 tomes, deck, hell and Lum
  • jesterdesujesterdesu Member Posts: 373
    PK2748 said:

Yeah and the Deck of Many things. I'm just trying to see if I can get a 25 Wisdon in a gnome

Sounds like an interesting character...
  • justfeelinathomejustfeelinathome Member Posts: 353
    edited November 2015
    @Tresset meant the Silver Ioun Stone in a shop in Throne of Bhaal. Don't remember which shop it was though (Wikia claims Zakee's Tavern). Since it takes up the headgear-slot and doesn't do anything else, you should consider wether it is worth it to you. I, for one, plan to get it on my 24 wisdom druid (waiting to go through SoD first), once i reach that point. Having 25 in any stat just feels rewarding on its own. :smiley:

Also, according to Baldurs Gate Wiki, it's supposed to give +1 AC and +4 to Saves vs. Death as well. (Source: http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Silver_Ioun_Stone) I take this information with a grain of salt, since I've been misinformed by that website once before. However, that would make him a viable and really cool item. :astonished: Maybe it's current behavior in the game is bugged? I guess I'll report that as a bug, for now... One can hope.
  • justfeelinathomejustfeelinathome Member Posts: 353
    The Axe is not very useful in my experience since neither Druids, nor Priests get access to that weapon class. What pops into mind is a Thief/Cleric Dual or Multi with use all items. Still a far stretch for just one point of wisdom to take: additional Cleric levels help with casting more and the axe could never be used for backstabbing.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

Also, according to Baldurs Gate Wiki, it's supposed to give +1 AC and +4 to Saves vs. Death as well. (Source: http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Silver_Ioun_Stone) I take this information with a grain of salt, since I've been misinformed by that website once before.

No, that's dud information (as you suspected).

The Silver Ioun Stone gives +1 WIS and nothing else.

It's the Lavender Ioun Stone which gives +1 AC and +4 Save vs. Death (and nothing else).
    justfeelinathome
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    Yeah I have a gnome cleric/thief that is my canon run through character for the whole series and with all the options plus DUHM it's simple to maximize the physical I'm just looking at options to get the most out of my mental attributes.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Hmmm. Being a Gnome, starting with max WIS of 17, I think the best you can legitimately do is raise permanent WIS to 23 (with Tomes x3, Hell, DoMT, MoLtM), plus 1 more by wearing the Silver Ioun Stone for a final total of 24. I haven't thought of a legitimate way to get a Gnome to WIS 25. (Other races, without a Gnome's initial WIS penalty, can of course reach WIS 25 by the same route.)

Since you're playing a Cleric/Thief rather than a straight Cleric ... er, I can't remember, maybe someone else can advise, does the Deck grant +1 WIS or +1 DEX? (It's definitely one or the other, and I think it's WIS but I'm not quite certain.)
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    the difference between 24 wisdom and 25 wisdom is one level 6 spell and one level 7 spell and 5 lore, since you have some thief and in your class and can get up to 24 wisdom, your lore will hit over 100 and 100 lore is the most you need, so what you can do is drop a character and bring in an extra cleric level them up to 25 steal their holy symbol, and with use any item even if you are a conflicted alignment you should still be able to wear it, and in essence you will have as many spells as if you would have 25 wisdom, and if you are wearing 2 holy symbols, then all the more godliness, back in the good ol' vanilla days, if you had a cleric hit level 25 then reformed them from your party and they asked you if they should leave and you said no, they would get another holy symbol, ah the good old days of exploits for cool items, sometimes I miss those days
    semiticgoddessSkatanlunarGotural