Skip to content

Way to scroll through Custom Portraits?

Forgive me if this question has already been asked a thousand times, or if I missed an obvious answer while I was looking for one.

I know you can just click the "Custom" button during Character Creation and select portraits from your Portrait folder. But is there a semi-simple way or a guide somewhere that shows how you can see the portraits by actually scrolling through them (like with the default portraits)?

I saw a Let's Play the other day with a guy who had it set up that way and I was wondering if anyone could tell me how it's done.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    @subtledoctor : actually, you should see (and thus have an option to choose) the new portraits added to BGEE absolutely fine when creacting a character for the main game, not just Black Pits.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,433
    edited November 2015

I second this question. There are so few default portraits, and the process of using added portraits is so cumbersome, it's incredibly frustrating.

I wouldn't say it's cumbersome, but it still requires a bit of work to add custom portraits to the default list:
    1. Create L, M and S versions of your portrait. For example, given the portrait BIGORC.BMP, create BIGORCL.BMP for the large version, BIGORCM.BMP for the medium version and BIGORCS.BMP for the small version. Portrait size isn't important anymore. The game will automatically scale the portrait up or down if needed, but for reference, the large version is usually 210x330 px.

2. Add the portrait to the file BGEE.SQL in Near Infinity. Scroll down until you find the section starting with "INSERT INTO portraits ROWS" or use the text search. Insert a new line for each portrait. For example, adding 'BIGORC', 1, will add BIGORC.BMP for male characters to the list and adding 'BIGORC', 2, will add this portrait for female characters. Make sure that the last line (and only the last line) in the structure does NOT contain a trailing comma!

• BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    edited November 2015
    I scroll through them like this:

Then I just note the name and go straight to it in the game.

Edit: After I posted my first example, I realized I could put *L.bmp in the search box so I only see one example of each portrait.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    On iOS, the Jason Manley portrait pack is an in-app purchase; you'll need to buy it before you can select those portraits during character creation.
  • Ser_ElrykSer_Elryk Member Posts: 72
    @argent77 worked great! Thank you so much! =D