Skip to content

Infinity Engine in Neverwinter and Waterdeep

Is there any possibility for beamdog to develop an entire new game with Infinity Engine (AD&D 2E rules), in Neverwinter, Waterdeep or Cormyr, for example? I'm asking this, because AD&D 2E was still in TSR era, and I don't know if Wizards of the Coast would allow a new D&D game that doesn't use D&D 5E. And also, the Baldur's Gate saga was contextualized in the classic era of Forgotten Realms, when Azoun IV was still alive. Maybe Wizards would just want to promote the actual time from the Realms...

I really would want a Infinity Engine Neverwinter or Waterdeep game, because I don't think Bioware made justice to Neverwinter in Neverwinter Nights. If this region of Faerun was worked and acclimated the same way Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale were in Infinity Engine, with grittier medieval fantasy look and better characters, it would be possible to make a game in a really great setting.
JustLeft

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    It's been stated that a new game has to use the D&D 5E.

As for Waterdeep, or Cormyr, or Kara Tur, or Thay, each option is interesting. We just need a game about Faerun!

Also, it has been stated that a new game wouldn't use the Infinity Engine, it would be some engine related to PoE (the Unity engine).
    JustLeftButtercheese
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    Of course it's technically possible for Wizards to agree an exception and licence a new AD&D 2e game ... but I'm sure it'd take a darned persuasive reason to vary their policy, which may well be unfeasible.

It'd be a singular shame to shelve the good old IE after all the work Beamdog have put into updating it. I know Beamdog have talked about switching future development to Unity, but on the other hand they might by now be growing fonder of the old engine (especially now that they've made it friendlier), so perhaps they'd consider doing more with it (despite what they previously said) ... if they had a licence for something for which it's suitable.
    Skatan
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited November 2015
    I remember reading how painfull it is to make character animations in IE. Basically you have to draw frames from different angles to be able to make an animation sequence.
    Doing this in modern engine is a little less hassle when you pass learning curve.
    I really hope they'll make some hand drawn isometric game with physically based shading style as POE or like Transistor.

On the other hand, it could be groundbreaking to see some real time with pause RPG game but in first person view.
    Something akin to upcoming Bard's Tale IV, however, without turn based gameplay along with faithfull representation of Baldur's gate style and soul from first person perspective.

Whatever direction development they'll choose, it'll relish it.
    Vitor said:

I really would want a Infinity Engine Neverwinter or Waterdeep game, because I don't think Bioware made justice to Neverwinter in Neverwinter Nights. If this region of Faerun was worked and acclimated the same way Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale were in Infinity Engine, with grittier medieval fantasy look and better characters, it would be possible to make a game in a really great setting.

As we saw with SCL, it's not easy to make that kind of perfect game which will exceed everybody's expectations.

Post edited by brus on