Skip to content

How does Sun Soulray work?

I cannot for the life of me figure out how the monk ability Sun Soulray works. What is the shape / area of effect of this ability? It seems utterly random. I can have Rasheed use it on an enemy that is surrounded by 3 or 4 enemies and it will only just hit 1 ... other times it hits every single evemy on the screen, plus eveyr single party member that's behind Rasheed (even my archers!).

Is it a 30 ft blast? It doesnt seem like it because sometimes it hits allies that are 20 feet behind him and sometimes it doesnt.. sometimes it hits 1 enemy in a cluster of enemies, other times it hits all of them.

I'm just trying to figure out how to use this stupid ability without frying my party members, but I cant do it without understand the shape / area this ability has. At least fireball tells me it has a 30ft radius so I know how to cast it and avoid hitting my friends... but there's no detailed description for this ability and even after using it a dozen times I can only deduce the shape and area of the attack are utterly random.

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    The ability is currently bugged. In theory it should only hit the target you select.
  • rathlordrathlord Member Posts: 171
    Nah, it's a pretty crappy bug. Is there any new information on this? It makes Monks useless for anything other than auto-attacking if you play with a group. Either Sun Soulray or Sun Soulbeam needs to prioritize enemies only, otherwise the kit is pretty broken.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Right now it hits like a Cone of Cold, except with a smaller arc and smaller range. I think it should stay as it is because making single-target... Well, what would be the point in using it then?
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    I actually find the current state of the ability very powerful. Obviously you need to take care when using it in a hectic melee, but in practice it lets Rasaad blow apart weak enemy groups and instantly interrupt casters at range faster than any thrown or fired weapon.

Odd, that a bug would cause the ability to suddenly get an area of effect. I actually assumed that the bugged version of the ability was the original, due to cone effects not working properly in EE before patch 1.2.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    Its projectile file has a 90 degree cone with a 30 feet reach, so that's not a bug in itself. If it can act like the op mentions though, something must be messed up.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    sun soulray works like a boss and makes liches pretty much redundant.

kangaxx the demi-lich died in 2 rounds after uses of sun soul ray. i've never taken down kangaxx so quickly without a lucky mace of disruption/azuredge hit
  • YemethYemeth Member Posts: 36
    does devs know about this? i want to take rasaad in my next playtrough but i dont want him to "cheat" with this ability
  • LuigirulesLuigirules Member Posts: 419
    It's not THAT bad. Sure, it's pretty useful, but it's not more useful than say, berserker rage or inquisitor dispel magic.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    After examining it in-game I'd have to say it definitely seems bugged. It just doesn't behave the way the spell properties would suggest, and the outcomes don't seem predictable. Sometimes it does nothing at all, other times seemingly hit too many targets.
  • magpiemagpie Member Posts: 79
    yeah, it's really weird. I ended up hitting everyone *behind* me on occasions, which was.. unfortunate.
  • Sargon1Sargon1 Member Posts: 25
    Shin said:

Its projectile file has a 90 degree cone with a 30 feet reach, so that's not a bug in itself. If it can act like the op mentions though, something must be messed up.

I have seen it do that sometimes, scorching an area roughly the size of an Ice Blast and annihilating a herd of Xvarts for example. The weird thing is, some other times, when fired into a pretty dense enemy group, its area of effect seemed to be much smaller, and only one or two guys get burned, even though like six or seven should. It's really luck dependent. My safety assumption is that everything in a large 180° cone may get hit.
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356
    elminster said:

The ability is currently bugged. In theory it should only hit the target you select.

Oh! I thought it was meant to be a cone-shaped effect, I didn't realise it should be single-target.

My experience has been that it usually is a cone effect, although I agree with others that the angle of the cone looks pretty variable. I've never noticed it wrap right round behind Rasaad, though.