Skip to content

PS:T - Why Post insights on such an old game?

SharguildSharguild Member Posts: 186
"Gee Sharguild, you are like my fave OP ever! Why waste time posting inane threads on a game so old and like, ya know, so um, old and like stuff?"

Ah, you are so clued in to life my young friend ( regarding judging OPs) and yet, so hockey puck.

Why do we post anything to a forum?
Self gratification of course ( or flagellation in certain circumstance) or in some instances, a true desire to spread information that one has found interesting, informative and worthwhile.
None of those reasons may apply here but I digress....

Planescape Torment is a unique game and though millions of copies have sold ( wait, stat check) um, hundreds of copies have sold, it remains one of those key and deciding games that elevate an individuals experience from the sublime to the um, existential pinnacle of DnD (aka Don't need Dungeons).

PS:T can provide multiple hours of activity to individuals who are, looking for hours of activity.

Did you know, it may in fact, be considered one of the greatest providers of activity to people without any knowledge of other means of activity locked in solitary confinement with only this game as a means of activity?
No?
Well see, now you do.

But you may be wondering, for those of us not secluded in a cell without access to sharp utensils or communication with the outside world, why would WE endeavour to master such a masterpiece?

Ah, such a relevant question is worthy of perfect incite. An answer that dispels all notions of non-indulgence.

To this question, I pose a question; "What can change the nature of a man?"

You may think this bears no relevance to why someone would post information about a game that is 16 years old, has limited graphics, has been beaten to death, resurrected and bludgeoned into unconsciousness by a variety of people that long ago moved on into the 21st Century and started playing other games that make you feel like your RIGHT IN THE BLOODY GAME AND HOLY CRAP IT'S LIKE BEING PART OF A REAL LIFE EXPERIENCE AND OMG! I THOUGHT MY LIFE WAS ON THE LINE FOR REAL AND THIS SHIT IS INTENSE!!!

But do you really?

Well, yeah, maybe you do but is that any reason to dismiss "one of the best books you've ever played?"
Um, before you answer, I ask you to keep in mind one thing;
- a game, is what we make of it. We walk a tenuous path through life and in it we will be subjected to many frivolities that may or may not make an impact on our outlook. We can relegate things unknown to the abyss or take halting yet meaningful glimpses at them in an effort to comprehend what they can add to our experience and inevitably our wisdom.
Okay, two things;
- age does not warrant dismissal if we recognize that what has passed was placed there for our benefit, to accept or elude as we elect to determine. The choice is ours.
Okay wait, three, three things....
It's a bloody good game! What? You need a sign flashing that says "GOOD GAME OVER HERE!!!!"
WeLLL HELLLOOO!!!

Okay, maybe just two things....

Alright Mom! I'll take the garbage out in a minute! Jeez! I'm talking to my friends!!!!
I gotta go.....

Comments

• TuthTuth Member Posts: 233
    That's a strange topic, feels like a stream of consciousness. I'll play along with some ideas:

The graphics in games is a very strange case. It's all about subjective preference. Also it's the first thing that captures the attention and therefore the game is judged based on the visuals at first. Even though some people will say that they don't judge the game by it's graphics, we all do it subconsciously. There's nothing wrong with that.

What I don't like however is that when nowadays a game is released, the reviewers will bash a game that's not photo-realistic. It's even worse when the author of the game delibaretly choose the simpler graphics and some journalist goes something like "Well, yeah the game is really great, but those graphics are really dated - 5/10".

Has there something changed with our eyes in the past years? Maybe we play on way too big monitors? This feels like a race for everything getting bigger, more detailed and cinematic. Alright, some people enjoy it, maybe even they're the majority, but that doesn't mean that all should abide to those "standards", both the players and the content creators.

This brings me to games like Planescape: Torment that have in some way escaped beyond the "surface appeal". Instead the focus is on the mind of the player, his worldview, philosophy, emotions, imagination and so on. It actually fits that the game has such graphics and clunky interface. This game is supposed to turn everything around and once you allow the game to pull you into its world, you won't judge it. You'll embrace it's world, the whole experience - as it is.

And so should the games be percieved, not by the surface, but what's beyond that. And that's why to me the games are art. You don't turn away when you see the book "Moby-Dick", based on how old it is. You let it guide you using your own imagination, and so do the games, if you allow them to do it.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,722
    Well... maybe because there can be PSTEE one day, and all of a sudden these threads about PST will be the main discussing points here.
  • SionIVSionIV Member Posts: 2,689
    edited December 2015
    Cons:

The graphics were mediocre (when it came out).
    The combat is boring and tedious.
    It starts turning into a hack n' slash at the end of the game.

Pros:

The story is the best ever written for a game.
    The setting is unique and interesting.
    The characters are interesting.
    Good Alignment system.

In the case of torment, the pros outweigh the cons. So even with the many flaws that Torment have, it is in my opinion the best game ever released.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited December 2015
    Considering that I played it for the 1st time when I was 11 years old, I must say that the biggest pro ever is : it can shape a child's thoughts on what good stories and characters are made of.

• SharguildSharguild Member Posts: 186
    edited December 2015
    So, @DJKajuru, are you suggesting it "changed the nature of a man"?
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Sharguild said:

So, @DJKajuru, are you suggesting it "changed the nature of a man"?

Or perhaps it was already part of me. ;D