Skip to content

What do you do with spellcasters at high levels?

Once you get to the point that everything has really low saving throws and really high MR, what do you do with your spellcasters to keep them viable? Thanks.

Comments

• JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    I agree with Albert Einstein, Improved Haste is the most powerful force in the universe. :wink:

I'm not very imaginative, but mostly it's a lot of RRR, Breach, IH, True Sight, IA and Time Stop. That's why I love Sorcerers so. When it comes down to it, I don't need spellcasters to do much, but I can't do anything without them.
  • KnellerKneller Member Posts: 438
    So, eventually, a magic user is just a debuffer? I was thinking of taking a cleric/mage through, but I feel like they're just support characters. I'll probably have all the magic I need when I get Imoen back, yeah?
    While I like having both the cleric and mage in one toon, the fire and forget thing is a real turn off. It almost makes me want to go sorcerer...it seems that there's only a handful of staple spells and a few contextual situations where you're probably better off casting random stuff from scrolls. However, I'm keeping Imoen when I get her back, so I'm not sure how that should influence either my spell picks or how I would play Imoen.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Dragons breath hla ignores magic resistance, very useful against drow hordes.

Planetars are the king of the summons, an improved hasted planetar is a sheer force to behold.

Timestop+shape change into mind flayer and go suckle brains. This will kill most creatures. (you will miss xp, IIRC)

Imprisonment gets rid of nasty magic resistant and durable foes like an adamantite golem. One cast and it is gone, and you get the xp too!

Chain contingency with triple horrid wiltings will give you huge damage.

Wish spell can give you free rests inside fights if your wisdom is high. You can also summon a bunny horde and then unleash a horrid wilting on every creature on the map, so enemies swarmed by the bunnies will get hit by 20 wiltings in a row.

If all else fails, energy blades do nice damage, and it auto hits in time stop as well.

A mage can be immune to everything in the game, pro from magic weapons+stoneskin+mirror image+spell turning+spell immunity:abjuration+divination and you are a much better tank then all fighters. Apply spell immunity:necro for defense against wiltings&wail of the banshee or invocation for various blast spells.

So yeah high level casters are ridiculously powerful!
  • OhmegaOhmega Member Posts: 35
    edited December 2015
    @lunar do you really need to ruin the game for people? ;P

You forgot Mislead and Project Image abuse. (my 'favourite')

BTW, if you want to be instantly bored, do what Lunar suggests.

But yes, level 9 spells are strong end-game abilities.
    edited December 2015
    I can see the merit in the high level spells, but I don't know what I would use for lower level spells once I get to that high level.

Edit: and I'm really considering doing the sorcerer instead. The spell mechanics (i.e. spells/day as opposed to specific memorizations) are just really tempting. If I could do that with a Cleric/Mage, I'd be in heaven.
    Post edited by Kneller on
  • abazigal5abazigal5 Member Posts: 290
    Time Stop, Horrid Wilting, Dragon's Breath, Comet, etc. Dragon's breath can get through a lot of MR, including that of dragons.
  • sluckerssluckers Member Posts: 280
    I've only been through Throne of Bhaal once, but Imoen eventually became a half wannabe cleric by equipping lots of spells to enhance her party mates, and half transformer using self-enhancements that turned her into a melee or backstabbing monster. I was never too hot with mages, but I found my groove with them in the alteration school of magic.

I didn't use many spells on enemies at all, aside from magic strippers.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    edited December 2015
    < ... > because we are the most broken force in the universe

Don't forget the site rules, please
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
  • NuinNuin Member Posts: 451
    edited December 2015
    You know, there's a reason why there's 8 schools of magic.
  • ifupaulineifupauline Member Posts: 405
    edited December 2015
    Kneller said:

While I like having both the cleric and mage in one toon, the fire and forget thing is a real turn off. It almost makes me want to go sorcerer...it seems that there's only a handful of staple spells and a few contextual situations where you're probably better off casting random stuff from scrolls.

What is "the fire and forget thing" you are talking about? I don't understand the turn off with cleric/mage, there is nothing a sorcerer can do that a c/m can't do aside of having more spells available. Plus since you are limited in slot, it makes the use of scrolls more relevant. Weather you are soloing or running a party, a c/m will be far more interesting and versatile than a sorcerer where you will just keep doing the same things over and over again. Sure you'll deal more damage but that's as far as you can go and once you run out of offensive spell, what is left aside from running?

• OhmegaOhmega Member Posts: 35
    edited December 2015
    @ifupauline

He means memorisation.

What do you mean turn off? He said he would like to play one except that he prefers the sorcerer spell mechanic.

C/M and sorcerer opperate very differently, it's not like 'why take a sorcerer when c/m is stronger and you could just take that?' sorcerers are a solo class so work better in larger groups or when you already have 3 multiclasses. They get a LOT of high level spells very early into the game and have a unique spell mechanic. A c/m has to wait a LONG time to come online, probably one of the longest if not The longest in the game for those high level spells and spell sequencer combos.

Not saying one is stronger than the other just that they play out extremely differently. They're not similar enough to be so interchangeable as you make it out to be.
    Post edited by Ohmega on