Skip to content

Total War: Warhammer

abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
Anyone seen this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i4d3ignBNQ

The trailer is very impressive (albeit bearing no resemblance to actual gameplay).

I've thought for a long time that the GW settings were ripe for a high-quality computer game treatment (there have been some abominations along the way...).

Comments

• wubblewubble Member Posts: 3,156
    edited April 2015
    It looks interesting, however I never had much experience with warhammer as I was more into warhammer 40k. I'm also slightly reserved with my expectations of total war games these days since rome 2 (which I should probably retry now it's fully patched).

I do think that 40k would be perfect for a huge space strategy along the lines of empire at war (but much bigger), the factions, units and lore are already perfectly fleshed out for that sort of game with the additional bonus that the setting is already in a state of total war. With the right developer and given time (not ridiculous deadlines) and money it could easily be made into an incredible game. Ok it would cost a sh*tload to produce but would probably be very easy to market to both GW fans and sci fi strategy fans, thereby providing a solid source of revenue. I reckon the game would have to be made full size immediately rather than having a smaller "test" game to dip ones toes into the water. Unfortunately most developers with the cash and other resources to produce a game of that magnitude have overbearing publishers who only want a quick buck.

Still, we can always hope.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    I've known about its development for quite some time and I'm not sure what to think really. I'm not a huge fan of the Total War series. I liked the Shoguns because of the setting (feudal Japan) but gameplay-wise I've never been able to get into them. Warhammer, though it is an amazing IP, has never been translated well into computer/video games. The original Shadow of the Horned Rat was somewhat fun, but it wasn't good and you didn't get to pick a race to play.

I'll reserve judgement until the game is nearer completion. I hope this is finally the computerized version of Warhammer a lot of us has been waiting for since forever. But hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

Also, they totally dropped the ball on the game's name. They could've gone with "Total Warhammer".
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    I'm SUPER hype!
    Going to play as the necromancer faction. Hopefully it'll be like Warcraft III but just bigger! I want 10,000 undead at my call!
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075

Also, they totally dropped the ball on the game's name. They could've gone with "Total Warhammer".

I had clicked on this thread to say just that but it turns out you already did.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    Added into my wishlist and follow list on Steam :)
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Decided to pre-purchase the High King Edition. Mainly for the dwarfen drinking horn, the drinking horn, and the drinking horn. Have I ever mentioned that I bloody love drinking horns? And this one is made of METAL! Well... that and the Chaos Warrior DLC freebie.

I kind of get as to why many of the WARHAMMER Fantasy fanbase don't like that one of the most popular races/factions will only be purchaseable via DLC on launch. But given that this is the first title of a "trilogy", (which will undoubtly span over at least a couple of years until everything is content complete), it's not suprising that paid DLC's are needed to bridge the monetary flow between the three games/expansions.
    Note that all three games will build one massive, giant world map in the end. *If* you have the whole trilogy installed, that is. Otherwise each title is a standalone game.

There are also a lot of speculations going on where the other two games will take place.

Some say that the second game will be centered around Ulthuan, Naggaroth and Lustria. Which means lots of High Elves, Dark Elves and Lizardmen.
    Others feel that Araby and the Southlands are more likely. Daemons, Chaos Dwarfs and the undead Tomb Kings would then be present as playable races/factions.
    There's also the possibility of the Eastern Steppes, Ogre Kingdoms, Nippon and the whole other asia-centric countries. We'll have to wait and see.

On a side note, here's the "Making Of" of the announcement trailer within OP's post.
    Pretty interesting stuff going on there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgyGMpmBRR0