Skip to content

The Ossifier

FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
edited November 2013 in Challenges and Playthroughs
For something different on playthrough #13243214321, I'm trying to figure out if there's a situational use for The Ossifier staff.
(purchase from Lucky Aello's Discount Store in the first area of Baldur's Gate)

It casts Barkskin on target on a successful hit. According to the Barkskin spell description, Barkskin sets the base AC to 6, +1 for each 3 caster levels.

It occurred to me that it might be situationally useful against highly armored targets, but only if the +1 bonuses are low. Does anyone know:

a) If the target is wearing AC lower than the Barkskin value, does the worn AC override the Barkskin or vice versa? (I've noticed some inconsistencies in my game with order of equipping AC items. EG Neera had bracers AC 7 and when I equipped the robe of the neutral archmage (AC5) her AC didn't lower until I removed the bracers).

b) Is the Barkskin cast by The Ossifier fixed level or based on the level of the wielder or the target?

Thanks.
Post edited by Faydark on
JuliusBorisov

Comments

• OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    If one of your allies has poor AC, I guess you could give them a whack.
    [Deleted User]
  • CaeriaCaeria Member Posts: 201
    edited December 2015
    Hmm, I'm not actually sure how this works. I just cast barkskin on my -12 AC archer, though, and her AC didn't change on the character sheet. This is obviously BG2, but I assume barkskin works the same in both games.

Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure barkskin functions similarly to armor of faith, though, in that it just absorbs some damage, and then disappears after a set time. I'm pretty sure you don't want to be casting barkskin on your enemies.

I just checked in NI and it appears the spell casts at level 0.

Edit: I didn't realize this was so old. Eh, whatever :smile:
    FinnTheHuman
  • FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    Wow, yeah.. I posted this ~2 years ago heh.

Thanks for that bit of info from NI @Caeria. So it looks like it might actually work as a debuff.. maybe. Imagine thwacking Sarevok or other heavily armored character with it and having their base AC dropped by 6 points or so..

Perhaps I'll get around to doing some further testing with it one day.
    [Deleted User]