Skip to content

Recommend me D&D books to collect.

VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
So I want to expand my D&D collection outside of just my Pathfinder books. I have Libris Mortis, Heroes of Horror, and Drow of the Underdark from 3.5 and The Complete Book of Necromancers for AD&D but are there others that are super interesting?

I'm interested in anything regarding Faerun lore as well as lore on either necromancers, fey, gnomes, or elves (particularly Drow). I'm open to any edition material because I'm mostly wanting them for information and flavor and less about mechanics.

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Lords of Madness is interesting for its insights about lovecraftian entities, as well as its Frankenstein-ish Fleshwarper prestige class. For something more Faerun specific there's Lords of Darkness, Champions of Ruin and Serpent Kingdoms. If you are more interested in the game world's history as a whole, then I can hearty recommend Lost Empires of Faerun.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Summoning @kamuizin here - I saw he read a lot of D&D books. Also, maybe @the_spyder and @atcDave can help here.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Book of Vile Darkness is pretty infamous, as far as this sort of thing goes....
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    edited December 2015
    Would you recommend its companion The Book of Exalted Deeds as well?

Edit: Also Lords of Madness looks good to round out some monsters that Pathfinder is missing due to copyright. I have the Bestiaries 1-5 but no Mind Flayers or Beholders because they are specific to D&D.
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    Ravenloft novels and material were great, anything with van richten, strahd, and azalin you wont be disappointed with but read most and highly recommend that whole campaign setting :smiley:
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited January 2016
    I must say that most 3rd edition books are dreadfully boring because they're 10% literature and 90% check these new feats and races. Not to mention that they aren't illustrated by Jeff Easley anymore.

However, I love "Forgotten Realms Faiths and Pantheons Book" , "Dracomonicon" , "Drow of the Underdark" and "Deities and Demigods" .

AD&D books, on the other hand, had much more emphasis on roleplaying tips and interesting fantasy writing , such as the "complete book of (class)" series, "council of wyrms" or "the complete book of villains".
    edited January 2016
    A friend bought me The Drow of the Underdark 2nd Ed version so now I have the 2e and 3e versions n_n
    I saw the Complete book of wizards in a local store and I'll probably pick that up. I also want to get the complete book of bards.
    Post edited by Vallmyr on
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I think that if the intent is to find out more about Faerun, you may wish to explore some of the modules as well. Often times there are tidbits of lore scattered through them (or at least there used to be back in the Greyhawk days of yore).

If the interest were Greyhawk, I would point you to White Plume Mountain, The Caves of Tsojcanth, The Temple of Elemental evil series and the Keep on the Borderlands series.

But if it is more Faerun specific, I'm not much help.
    edited January 2016
    Got the Complete Bard's Handbook today! I really like these 2nd edition books. They contain a lot of RP information and flavor stuff that works across all editions. Example being instruments along with their weight and price in gold.

Edit: I actually want to get ToEE and KotB series just for the sake of having those classics.
    Post edited by Vallmyr on