Skip to content

Modding questions - things that can and cannot be done...

jethrojethro Member Posts: 81
edited December 2015 in General Modding
I'm sure there's some hard coded reason this cant be done, but I'd love to be able to actually disarm the traps I find with the monk.

Anyway, thanks for reading...
Post edited by jethro on

Comments

• AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    This is not possible with the current engine. I suppose you could use some invisible creature trick hackery to emulate it but it wouldn't be pretty.
    jethroGrammarsalad
  • jethrojethro Member Posts: 81
    Boo...actual booing, not the space hampster...

...not that that was a surprise. thanks
    Is there a way, with scripting, to recognize weapon types without having to recognize the actual weapon? I'm making a 5e mod and trying to emulate finesse weapons (that can use either dex or str as the bonus). I've succeeded in getting this to work for Monks (and I can do it for other classes), but I think it might be better if I can localize it to the weapon itself. My concern is a strong but not nimble thief (or Monk or whatever...or a nimble but weak fighter/ranger/paladin/etc). Or a dagger wielding fighter switching to a war hammer when facing a Golem - the proficiency needs to change.

Basically I could do it by having a boatload of individual weapons, but it'd be a heckuva lot cleaner and faster if I could do it by type.
    nm, only 3 weapons anyway, so not an issue..
    Anyone know how to reference all daggers? or all short swords? or all scimitars?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Grammarsalad
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582

Reference in Weidu?

COPY_EXISTING_REGEXP GLOB ~.*\.itm~ ~override~
    PATCH_IF (~%SOURCE_SIZE%~ > ~0x71~) BEGIN
    READ_BYTE 0x31 prof
    PATCH_IF (%prof% = 91 || %prof% = 95 || %prof% = 96) BEGIN
    END
    END
    BUT_ONLY
    @subtledoctor
    These, "||"

Do they function as "OR's"?
    edited December 2015
    This is a very, very useful reference:

http://gemrb.org/iesdp/file_formats/ie_formats/itm_v1.htm

I'm not sure how familliar you are, but this is also useful:

http://weidu.org/WeiDU/README-WeiDU.html

edited December 2015
    Oh man that looks like the solution @subtledoctor but I'll be damned if I know how to write in weidu. Been using NI like a badda$$ but weidu confuses me to no end...

...and then I went ahead and read the Readme (again, mind you; I did try before! still thank you @Grammarsalad ) and it makes a perverted sort of sense...

OK! So next question (and THANK YOU for the help! Been wracking my brain for hours trying to figure this out...) is how do I use this in my .baf/.bcs script? I assume I put what's up there into the tp2 and fill in the "..." with - well with something that links it to my script and gets it to do what I want.

Man this is awesome if it works! Going to try to figure it out...
    Post edited by jethro on
    Figure attaching the .baf would help. It's taken off @wolpak Saves Mod and uses global modifiers to +/- the strength bonus with dexterity instead based on the weapon equipped (namely daggers, short swords, scimitars) I got it to work already for Monks, mostly because it's easy to single out a class. But I want to make it work for anyone with the right weapon.

But yeah, i'm more than a little stuck on this. This is my first attempt at modding BGEE, and I've done well over the last month working with NI and altering existing mods to suit my needs, but this is a change I can't find examples of and haven't figured out any clever work arounds...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    ... You want to be very careful messing around with baldur.bcs. you can really mess up your game, and that is if you know what you are doing.
    Musigny
    Grammarsalad
    Thanks guys. Very insightful stuff. I figured this was a well traveled road, but best way to learn was to just try it myself. I think I might have a good work around for most players, practical if not pnp accurate.

I will definitely look at that splprot.2da and see if there's a solution there.

Also @subtledoctor you should check out the saves mod for that stat based spell. It sets a global value equal to the bonus you want (that's the tedious part) then uses a separate script to run whatever effect you want. Anyway it's cleaner and easier to change, and only runs when a stat changes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

No, the script needs to run constantly - it needs to constantly check whether you are using a weapon that gets the bonus. That's the problem.

No, I understand that now. That definitely won't work, so I'm moving on to Plan B. More on Plan B below...

I'm not sure what saves mod/stat-based spell you're talking about. (Unless you're talking about MY mod!)

I was refering to the mod you were talking about in the G3 forum. Just seemed the Saves Mod by Wolpak would be helpful - it's what enabled me to get Dex Thac0 for monks...here's the link to it: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/38338/mod-wis-chr-int-saves

I might not be understanding something. Maybe tell us what your workaround is, and we can help you implement it.

So, my workaround will be to give players the option to turn on/off Dex-based bonuses instead of Str-based ones. My idea is going to be limited to Rogues only (because I don't think any other class would benefit- the downsides are too severe) though I could make it an option for any class. Anyhow, the basis of my mod is a combo of two other mods: @wolpak Saves Mod and @Corsymyr Subraces Mod, plus some 2da alterations i stole from @Dee (this was really his idea). The idea is a D&D 5th edition conversion. There are plenty of limitations I won't be able to get around (like Dex-based weapons), but I've been able to create most of the systems. For example: 5e race bonuses, weapon proficiencies, stats bonuses, etc. Now i was able to give Monks a Dex-based bonus to att and dam (negate the initial str bonus and add the dex bonus) and add the AC bonus from Wisdom. I can give the Dex-bonus to Rogues as well, but I'd have to then only allow them to use Dex-based weapons (ie, daggers, shortswords, scimitars, ranged). This avoids the constant script checking and such. It's not perfect, but in application I think it would work since a Dex-based Rogue would use those weapons to the exclusion of others anyway. At particular points (Level up for instance) you could switch back if you want. That way even a Dual-Classed or Multi-Classed character could change their style if their build has changed...

...it's gonna take some time to script more of this (and with no template for it!) but I'm pretty confident that this could work. I'd actually post the working part of what I have, but I've been waiting to hear back from @wolpak regarding use of his mod in this - it has been INVALUABLE! - and until then I don't want to pass it around. Though if you want to take a look at anything I'll be happy to PM or email it...

And I just want to say THANK YOU to everyone who's replied for taking the time to help me on this. It's my first attempt at modding BGEE and I really appreciate the insights.
    Also should say I haven't fully checked out your Might and Guile, etc mods yet, though I have looked at them many times. Honestly they're a little intimidating :blush: But they look very cool and I think I may learn a thing or two from them.

And I say it's a 5e Conversion, but maybe more like a 5e blend...I don't want to do away with kits or remake the classes yet. I don't want to give the option to pick and choose a different class at every level up. I mean I'd love to, but that's a LOT of work that I don't think would actually benefit the game or player much. But I do like the 5e systems underlying things, like proficiencies and stat bonuses and feats and such. So I'm picking and choosing, but I think what I've got going so far is pretty cool and will be better by the end...
    I'm pretty sure it works like yours does. CheckStat checks the actual value of the attribute, unaffected by spells and potions right? if so, then I'm covered. I believe the way it's set up is just slightly different from yours. The script runs, and if it detects a change in stat THEN it summons a creature to cast a spell. It's already working for the Monk. It shouldn't be changing because of spells and such.

As far as my solution to the Dex-based bonus for certain weapons the only thing I'd like to do at Level Up (and at the beginning of the game) is a CHOICE for Thieves to use Dex or use Str as their attack bonus. If they choose Dex they will be limited to Dex weapons. Perhaps this isn't a good alternative, but other than not having the option at all I can't think of another one. I could expand this to any class, of course, but again I'm not sure it'd be worth it for any class BUT thieves to undergo. Perhaps an Archer-based fighter or some rangers...i dunno if the weapon restriction would really be worth it though. Of course I'm honestly quite a ways out from that currently as well.
    Does effect 183 work? Doesn't seem like it, which is too bad since it'd be a HUGE boon to modding certain things. Anyway, thought I'd see if anyone knows...
  • Roman215Roman215 Member Posts: 10
    Is it possible to mod a race to be forced to using a certain kit at creation, for example how Gnomes are forced to be illusionist for any mage multi/dual?
    What about modding the view of your characters so that you can view the entire map? I don't mean get rid of the black, I mean get rid of the view distance so every creature in the area can always be seen.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    Roman215 said:

What about modding the view of your characters so that you can view the entire map? I don't mean get rid of the black, I mean get rid of the view distance so every creature in the area can always be seen.

About as close as you can get:
    Opcode 117, Clairvoyance, once per area, which reveals the entire map, but does not clear fog of war.
    Opcode 268, Clear Fog of War, attached to every creature file. Creature will be visible within the fog of war, excluding creatures that really are "Invisible".
    Opcode 262, Visual Range Bonus, attached to each party member. Can at most double normal visual range.
    Roman215 said:

Is it possible to mod a race to be forced to using a certain kit at creation, for example how Gnomes are forced to be illusionist for any mage multi/dual?

You could simulate that. Add a .SPL to level 1 of the trueclass CLAB that uses an .EFF targeting that race; have the .EFF summon a .CRE whose override script uses AddKit() to change the kit.

Separately, disable other kits for that race. (I think in CLSRCREQ.2da...?)

Now you can choose that kit as a single-class character; or you can be multiclass, and will be automatically changed to that kit.

What he said. :wink: Best way is probably to alter the CLSRCREQ.2da. That's why the Gnome can only be an illusionist. You can of course script it, but that won't help at creation and doesn't make much sense truly.

Actually the gnome thing is totally hard-coded, it's a special case - it's not dependent on clsrcreq.2da. (E.g. you can't allow gnomes to be generalists, or force them to be transmuters.)

So that works for single-class characters, but for multiclasses you need to script something in the CLAB file. That's the only way to make it a comprehensive change.

I got around this by using cheat engine during character creation. When I was a base class, I looked for 0x40000000 in hex (kit value corresponding to no kit), then when I switched to Kensai, I looked for 0x40030000. This let me find the variable the game was using for kit, so when I selected Fighter/Mage/Thief, I could make the game create me as Kensai/Mage/Thief. I guess that's better than messing around with EEKeeper or the CLAB files because it's technically the game making me a full blown kitted multiclass straight on creation.

Actually the gnome thing is totally hard-coded, it's a special case - it's not dependent on clsrcreq.2da. (E.g. you can't allow gnomes to be generalists, or force them to be transmuters.)

So that works for single-class characters, but for multiclasses you need to script something in the CLAB file. That's the only way to make it a comprehensive change.

I didn't know this! Good to know!
    Is there a size limit to a dialog file? I'm trying to set up a series of questions/answers for when a character levels up, but it's reporting some errors that simply don't make sense...