Skip to content

Alveus Malcanter Query

I may have missed something, but what race is Alveus Malcanter? I know a lot of people assume he's human, but we never see his ears, so he could be half-elven or elven. There's a noted elven population and history in Silverymoon, where he's from, so it's definitely plausible.

Comments

• proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    I'm not sure, but I seem to remember seeing something about him being an elf. I always assumed he was, anyway.
    Perhaps @AlveusMalcanter would like to comment?
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    Meer rolled him as a true neutral human in the SoD demo footage, with STR 8, DEX 10, CON 15, INT 18, WIS 15, and CHA 18. That's the only "official" info I've seen so far at least.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    edited January 2016
    I've looked through http://blog.beamdog.com/2015/02/spotlight-on-alveus-malcanter.html and https://twitter.com/alveusmalcanter - it looks like Alveus is indeed a human.

Edit: there's no mention of the race there, but the general "feel" I get when he speaks of himself and his family tells me: a human.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
  • SvarSvar Member Posts: 157
    @bengoshi I've looked through both of those as well, but I haven't found anything that mentions what he is. Perhaps I overlooked something. What did he say that clued you in that he's human?
  • TwentyTwenty Member Posts: 52
    edited January 2016
    I have idea no who you are talking about until I googled this character and found some videos. Let me guess, this guy is the person who voice acted Baeloth? Beamdog should have given him more lines and roles, if yes.
  • HudzyHudzy Member Posts: 300
    edited January 2016
    Baeloth and Rasaad. And some minor characters from the enhanced and original versions of the game. As well as someone in just about every other Bioware title since in fact.

Twenty said:

Beamdog should have given him more lines and roles, if yes.

I don't know if that's actually possible. He's done a LOT of the voicework for the EEs and SoD, far more than any other performer I'm aware of. He's also tremendously talented, so there are several voices you'd never know were his, and a few monster voices you'd think could only be produced with sound effects that are just Mark destroying his vocal cords in the name of his craft.

Believe me, if I could get Mark to voice everything, I would. He's incredibly talented and just a machine in the recording booth. As far as performing talent goes, I really can't speak too highly of him. He's amazing.
    @AndrewFoley did Mark Meer hack your account? This is the sort of thing my wife will write about herself if I leave my Facebook account open. :wink:
    Okay, so I had another look at the videos and I noticed that the "Shut the Door" installment says that he's not an elf under his name, so I guess I did overlook something, haha. He could still be a half-elf, though, which was my headcanon all along, since there are aspects of his character that would support the idea.
  • TwentyTwenty Member Posts: 52
    edited January 2016
    I never he knew was Rasaad but I immediately recognized he is Baeloth on one of the Icewind Dale survival videos where he suggested everyone is expandable, including their grandmothers. So I can't tell you his race(I'll hazard a guess that Alveus is a gnome) but I can tell you his alignment is evil.
    @Twenty , Alveus seems more like a Lawful Neutral dude to me. I've always interpreted the good-evil axis of the alignment chart as being how willing one is to do harm to innocents, good being actively avoiding it, neutral being willing, and evil being enjoying it. Alveus cares primarily about himself and doesn't seem to have a blood-thirsty or cruel attitude. He just doesn't care if people get hurt in the process of his own hide being saved. He seems lawful to me of course because of his love for his rules and his strong belief that every adventurer should follow them.