Skip to content

Player How-to: Getting Mods to work on EE, part II

2»

Comments

• phlippy_gphlippy_g Member Posts: 9
    For the life of me. I can't figure out how to install any of the mods. I have no codeing skills, and can't find the "00766" folder anywhere. I've read the instructions to no avail. Not sure where to place what, where, or how. Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks
  • prophet1prophet1 Member Posts: 172
    edited December 2013
    Assuming you're on PC (don't know about Macs, tablets, etc.):

00766 (or 00783, for BG2EE) folder is under your game installation folder in Beamdog version, in Steam version there's no such folder and you should extract mods to the BGEE folder instead (as below):

for Beamdog version: *BGEE install folder*\Data\00766
    for Steam version: *Steam library folder*\SteamApps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

If that doesn't help, I suppose you may try launching a system-wide search for "chitin.key" - this file should be present in all versions and it resides in the folder you're looking for.

After that, installing an up-to-date mod should be as simple as extracting files from the archive into the folder you just found, launching the "setup-***.exe" file (*** = name of the mod) and following on-screen instructions. Run the same file again to uninstall.
    Post edited by prophet1 on
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited December 2013
    prophet1 said:

for Steam version: *Steam library folder*\SteamApps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766

On Steam the folder 00766 may be missing. On OS other than Windows too.
    prophet1 said:

If that doesn't help, I suppose you may try launching a system-wide search for "baldur.exe" - that's the main executable file and it resides in the folder you're looking for.

Better search for the file chitin.key, as name conventions for the exe file may differ across different versions of the game.

The game main directory is always the one containing the file chitin.key. This is true not just for the Enanched Edition of BG in Windows, but for every Infinity Engine game and every OS.
  • prophet1prophet1 Member Posts: 172
    @Erg you're right, after checking with forum search it looks like Steam doesn't even have Data subfolder. Edited the post to correct that, thanks.
  • Ultima75000Ultima75000 Member Posts: 12
    edited December 2013
    How do you update/replace the weidu after downloading it? I can't find any instructions and the only thing I get out of the posts is to delete the mod setup.

EDIT: Trying to install the item upgrade gave me this error "error: biff [./data/NEERA/.bif] cannot be loaded: Invalid_argument<"String.create">" Unknown if related.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756

How do you update/replace the weidu after downloading it? I can't find any instructions and the only thing I get out of the posts is to delete the mod setup.

WeiDU usually update himself. If you download a mod with a more recent version of WeiDU (i.e. a more up to date version of setup-modname.exe) all the other setup-something.exe (in the same folder) will be updated the first time you use one of them (either the new or the old ones).

However, if you want to manually update, get the latest version for your OS from the WeiDU Website, unzip, rename weidu.exe as setup-modname.exe and replace with it the old setup-modname.exe.
    elminster
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    edited July 2015
    Sorry to ask this question, but is the process of installing mods identical for both stand-alone beamdog version and steam version of the game?

I've just recently realized I could get Steam Key when I purchased the game through Beamdog, and I would like to carry my current playthrought to Steam versions, with mods included.
  • RAM021RAM021 Member Posts: 403
    O_Bruce said:

Sorry to ask this question, but is the process of installing mods identical for both stand-alone beamdog version and steam version of the game?

I've just recently realized I could get Steam Key when I purchased the game through Beamdog, and I would like to carry my current playthrought to Steam versions, with mods included.

Aside from the different install locations, yes.
    JuliusBorisov
  • DregothofTyrDregothofTyr Member Posts: 229
    The newest version of Weidu from weidu.org just goes to a 404 page.
  • zarffynzarffyn Member Posts: 175
    edited December 2015

The newest version of Weidu from weidu.org just goes to a 404 page.

I'm having the same problem. http://www.weidu.org/~thebigg/WeiDU-Windows-236.zip just gives a 404 error. I'm trying to put BGEE on my new computer and don't have a copy of WeiDU I can transfer. Does anyone have a link to a recent copy of WeiDU I can use?

Found a valid download for WeiDU v238 here: http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27159

Googling didn't find any versions later than v238, so this is what I'll try.

@DregothofTyr if you're still looking for it.
    Post edited by zarffyn on
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    Thanks @subtledoctor as need to install this soon for my modded playthrough
  • agb1agb1 Member Posts: 249
    edited January 2016
    It's a good idea to download the BiG World Fixpack (https://github.com/BiGWorldProject/BiG-World-Fixpack) into your game folder and run its patch script after extracting all of the mods you want in the game folder but before you run their installers. The Fixpack is updated often and contains community-developed patches for various mods to address bugs and compatibility issues that haven't yet been included in a full release of the mod. Currently its patching script is Windows-only; Linux and OSX scripts are being tested.

Note that some mods are distributed as self-installing exe files on Windows. These exe mods are actually zip archives and they can be extracted with WinRar or 7zip. Alternatively, if you run the exe outside of the game folder, it will extract the contents without actually starting to install the mod, and you can then move the extracted mod contents to your game folder.

If you are using Windows, consider using BiG World Setup (https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/44476/tool-big-world-setup-bws-mod-manager-for-baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-trilogy-for-windows) to automate this process.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    edited March 2016
    Any early hints about how to get mods ready for the upcoming SoD? :)
  • DavideDavide Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,698
    edited May 2017
    I have a question: I made a mod (with 2.36 I think) for BG:EE that worked well. However, when I install it in SoD and open BG from it I get a strange effect on windows as the one to load games or the stores. I tried by downloading v2.40, but the effect is the same.
    Is there any particular flag that needs to be added, due to the newer version of the game or to the fact that I am launching SoD instead of BG?
    Or maybe I need to install the game in a different directory? (I tried in the home directory of SoD, i.e. BeamDog/games/806/)

Post edited by Davide on
  • DavideDavide Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,698
    I'll try to tag some expert, hoping to get some help. :smile:

@Wisp @argent77 @subtledoctor @kjeron