Skip to content

What party are you starting SoD with?

WinterisleWinterisle Member Posts: 111
In my las thread I was asking about what Charname you people were thinking of using for going through SoD, but now I find out that it's possible to start off with the whole party you used to finish BGEE.

Right now I'm playing through the first part of the game using a chaotic neutral Jester armed with a dagger (a poison dagger soon): an absolute killing machine, I must say. Invisibility, his psychotic song and wands are completely devastating when put together.

My party consists in Khalid, Jaheira, Minsc, Imoen and Neera, and we are on our way to rescue Dynaher. I really don't know if it's going to be better to keep Minsc and Dynaher and kick Neera out or to keep Neera and maybe bring in Rasaad for a while as one of my fighters. I've read that there's no Imoen in SoD so I think that later on I will be replazing her with Safana, before I head up to Baldurs Gate.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you have a party in mind to start Siege of Dragonspear with?
Blackravenfireandsteel73[Deleted User]

Comments

• PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Since I'll be writing it up using the same CHARNAME, it's going to be Ravayu Atar, elven Mage/Thief, with the party he survived BG with: Imoen.

Dorn, and Neera were in the party, but dead. Shar-Teel and Yeslick both got chunked in the final battle.

From memory maybe ten other NPCs survived Ravayu's adventures still alive, so my party is probably going to involve picking up "four conveniently new NPCs".
    WinterisleBlackraven
  • WinterisleWinterisle Member Posts: 111
    Pantalion said:

so my party is probably going to involve picking up "four conveniently new NPCs".

Who by the looks of things will probably end up sharing the fate of Shar-Teel and good old Yeslick.

PantalionGallowglasslolienSkatan
  • YupImMadBroYupImMadBro Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 347
    I'll be rocking a Mage/Cleric charname, along with Imoen, Jaheria, Khalid, Minsc, and Dynaheir.

Second playthrough will be a Kensai->Mage, Imoen, Dorn, Edwin, Viconia, and Baeloth.

Oh course, these will be the parties I start with. I have to assume characters like Baeloth will end up leaving early in the game.
  • LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    My first playthrough group will be:
    Charname (Elf Fighter/Mage/Thief)
    Imoen (Thief --> Mage)
    Jaheira
    Neera
    Dorn
    Minsc

Now, we don't know if the mentioned characters will stay in the group for the entire run. I haven't made up my mind on whether or not I will replace leaving characters or simply continue with a smaller group.

• Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Elf Fighter/Thief
    Branwen
    Safana (Thief=>Mage)
    Garrick
    Skie

Thief/Bard heavy, but I kind of like it that way. The more I play this game, the less interest I have in spellcasters, and the more in using Fighters/Thieves to outwit the uppity magic-users in creative ways.
  • FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    I will most definitely be playing at least once with just charname, Jaheira, Minsc, Imoen, Neera + "for quest purposes placeholder". That's my "standard party".

But I think I will wait until SoD's release and find out who I can actually take with me and how long they can stay before I really decide who is in my new "standard party" for complete playthroughs of the series.
    Blackraven
  • LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    Faydark said:

I will most definitely be playing at least once with just charname, Jaheira, Minsc, Imoen, Neera + "for quest purposes placeholder". That's my "standard party".

But I think I will wait until SoD's release and find out who I can actually take with me and how long they can stay before I really decide who is in my new "standard party" for complete playthroughs of the series.

I actually like the idea of a "For quest purposes placeholder" I will remind you though that we already know that Imoen wont be with us all the time. How much/little of the time she is away is unknown.
    Gallowglass
    The other thing is that I'm a bard, so I have to be a bit carefull because I'm probably the least necesary member of my own party. For now I'm still trying to choose between Misc + Dynaher and Dorn + Neera.

I'm also unsure about what weapon proficiencies to take, not knowing what I'm going to find in SoD. For know I got dagger, crossbow and longbow. I got two ranged weapon profs just incase there's something extremelly awesome ranged-wise and I've chosen the wrong one. Any advice on any other weapon I could put a pip in?
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    @Winterisle

I'd choose halberds, simply for The Wesley Chelsey Crusher and its 1d10+6 damage. It's limited to 1 attack per round, so it's ideal for bards, since their APR doesn't improve with levels. It would also allow you to take advantage of the various halberds in SoA and ToB.

In my current BG playthrough, I have Eldoth wielding "the Crusher" when he's not using his longbow, and his critical hits are pretty massive. The longer reach also helps in melee, as he can stand behind the frontliners without putting himself at too much risk.
    GallowglassArdulJuliusBorisov
    Mortianna said:

@Winterisle

I'd choose halberds, simply for The Wesley Chelsey Crusher and its 1d10+6 damage. It's limited to 1 attack per round, so it's ideal for bards, since their APR doesn't improve with levels. It would also allow you to take advantage of the various halberds in SoA and ToB.

In my current BG playthrough, I have Eldoth wielding "the Crusher" when he's not using his longbow, and his critical hits are pretty massive. The longer reach also helps in melee, as he can stand behind the frontliners without putting himself at too much risk.

Great idea. I think I'll go with halberds :D
    MortiannaGallowglasslolien
    My plan for SoD is to continue with my current party (unless someone gets chunked). They're presently in Chapter 5 and getting ready to go to the Iron Throne building, after completing nearly all EE and non-TotSC content:

Naer'amarth: Female, half-elf, cleric/mage, LE (7/7)
    Kagain: 7
    Viconia: 8
    Eldoth: 9
    Skie: 8
    Edwin: 8

I have the XP cap removed, so I'm hoping my PC will reach 8/8 by the end of the game.

I'm enjoying having Kagain as the sole fighter, as it makes the battles last longer and requires more strategic thinking on my part. Viconia does quite well as a back-up frontliner when needed. I have the IDWfication mod installed, which adds a welcome variety to spell casting (especially for my cleric/mage) and Eldoth's bard songs.

Since Viconia and Edwin were in BG2, I'm thinking they will be the only NPCs in my party that will stick around for the entire game.

Kagain might not see any profitable reason to stay with my PC, since the bandit raids and Iron Crisis are over--that is, unless his business went under while he was away.

Skie will probably return to Baldur's Gate at some point to take care of loose ends, perhaps with a little more wisdom after her experiences with Eldoth and the rest of the party. Maybe she'll realize her naivete about Eldoth, grow a backbone, and use her resources as a noble toward more ambitious ends, which could include future collaborations with Naer'amarth.

Eldoth will most likely scurry off to another city in search of his next victim after (1) Skie wises up to him or (2) realizing Skie's gravy train has run its course.
    Blackraven
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

I have to assume characters like Baeloth will end up leaving early in the game.

Since Baeloth isn't with us in BG2ee (and instead goes to Thay to work under an alias in Denneton's arena, as depicted in BP2), yes, his departure may occur during SoD.

However, in the pre-release clips and so on, Baeloth appears to be part of the default Evil party for at least a significant portion of SoD. Furthermore, since he's a Beamdog "own brand" character, there's a commercial motive for Beamdog to keep him involved for much of the game.

Thus I wouldn't bet on his departure being early. Maybe not even until the final scenes of SoD.
    JuliusBorisov
  • SvarSvar Member Posts: 157
    I'll definitely be going through SoD with my main Bhaalspawn, whose party I like to refer to as "Harpers take some kids on a road trip". It consists of: Syrin (Ranger Charname), Jaheira, Khalid, Imoen, Rasaad, and Xan.

I will then do a playthrough for my secondary Bhaalspawn with: Faern (Bard Charname), Viconia, Imoen, Coran, Rasaad, and Baeloth
  • FaydarkFaydark Member Posts: 279
    Lifat said:

I will remind you though that we already know that Imoen wont be with us all the time. How much/little of the time she is away is unknown.

Respectfully: we don't _know_ that. We speculate that will be the case from a screenshot we have from the launch event.

It could be that if Imoen is in your party she does not have the same actions as in the screenshot, but rather just speaks to the party as normal inter-party-member dialogue.

Either way, I'll still be doing that playthrough and experiencing that storyline. If Imoen does leave the party early in the game, or I find myself short on thieving skills then I'll have to find a way to work with that as I go. =D
    For now, my party is composed by Khalid, Jaheira, Imoen, Neera, Rasaad and Nebuchadnezzar (the chaotic Jester). I'll probably change Rassad around, maybe for Yeslick o Ajlantis. Imoen may be changed for Safana or Alora.

So, the theory is that, for example, if I finish BG with Yeslick and Alora, I'll be starting SoD with them but they will eventually run off forcing me to replace them, but that If I start with, let's say, Rasaad, he'll stay, right?
  • GallowglassGallowglass Member Posts: 3,356

So, the theory is that, for example, if I finish BG with Yeslick and Alora, I'll be starting SoD with them but they will eventually run off forcing me to replace them, but that If I start with, let's say, Rasaad, he'll stay, right?

That's what I'm guessing, yes, and I think most of us are assuming similar, although obviously we don't know for sure how it'll work.
    YupImMadBroWinterisle
    Since my PC was the only party member to survive the final battle with Sarevok (damn you, SCS mod), I wonder if we'll be able to import dead party members (and their equipment) to SoD.
  • I'm going to start off by getting the lay of the land with a Bard-led standard party of Minsc, Dynaheir, Jaheira, Khalid, and Imoen. Once that's done I'm leaning towards taking my duo playthrough (F/M/C plus Imoen) in to play with the new NPCs, depending on how SoD handles things.
    jackjackBanArd
  • VitorVitor Member Posts: 288
    My team was me, Kagain, Coran, Branwen, Viconia and Edwin. But everybody died in the last battle against Sarevok, with the exception of me and Edwin. I really don't know with wich party I'll start Siege of Dragonspear :/
    Winterisle
  • Daralon87Daralon87 Member Posts: 236
    edited January 2016
    Me as Monk
    Ajantis as Paladin
    Minsc and Boo as Ranger
    Yeslick as Dwarfen Cleric
    Imoen ONLY as thief
    Dynaheir as Invoker
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    I'm working on a Half-Elf NG Cleric/Mage... Mainly because it's a class I've never played before. She's currently travelling with Ajantis, Kivan, Coran, Imoen and Branwen... She's probably going to ditch most of the above for the new NPCs as they become available.
  • kansasbarbariankansasbarbarian Member Posts: 206
    2 planned parties.
    Evil Party: Dwarven Defender ( Ulric Foehammer ), Shar-Teel Dualled to thief, Dorn, Viconia, Edwin, and Baeloth.

Good Party: Half-Orc Barbarian ( Gorgar Irontusk ), Jaheria, Khalid, Minsc, Dynaheir, and Imoen.
  • AndrasteAndraste Member Posts: 78
    I'm currently doing an evil run, with Dorn, Montaron, Xzar, Tiax, Baeloth and my Blade PC. I'll take whichever of them is available into SoD.

If everyone except Dorn leaves ... I hope the new NPCs don't mind murder and mayhem? (Or that I can pick up Viconia and Edwin during the course of the expansion.)
  • ShadowhartShadowhart Member Posts: 5
    I have a save file ready to go with a fighter, Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, Minsc and Dynaheir. Currently doing another play through with a fighter/ Mage and the same party, but with Imoen Duel classed to a mage this time around.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    edited January 2016
    Both my teams are going to have holes in their roster:

Team Evil:

Sorcerer PC
    Dorn
    Kagain->???
    Skie->Safana
    Viconia->M'Khiin
    Eldoth->Baeloth

Team Amazon:

Dwarven Defender PC
    Jaheira
    Isra->Schael Corwin
    Imoen->??? (unless I slap the Girdle of Gender on Glint)
    Dynaheir
    Neera
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    CahirWinterisle
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    edited January 2016

Eh, I won't be "starting" SoD. When it's released I'm going to:
    1) finish up and release my huge cleric/druid kit mod
    2) buy SoD
    3) update BG2EE with the SoD patch
    4) download the finalized EET
    5) create a massive EET install with about 60 mods
    6) install that on my iPad
    7) play the whole game, Candlekeep-to-Throne-of-Bhaal (and maybe beyond, have to check out the Sandrah mod) in one massive playthrough.

Sounds like a plan. Wait... that's exactly what *I* am going to do! Except point 1, of course :wink: Err, and point 6...
  • RobertMcDuckRobertMcDuck Member Posts: 133
    I'll be importing my Evil Powergaming Party. Maximum level, maximum badass

Ralof - an elven Fighter/Mage/Thief - Equiped with 2 longswords and a handful of defensive magic. Maximum level. THAC0 10-7 ish AC -1 standard but -4 to -16 in combat. With the right potions and by borrowing Dorns platemail I can easily manage to get above -20 AC.

Dorn - Blackguard. Equiped with a warhammer +2 (the golden one, the name slipped my memory) and shield. Maximum level. THAC0 6-7 ish AC -6

Kagain - Dwarf. Equiped with an Axe +2 and a shield. THAC0 8 AC - 5

Viconia - Cleric - Equiped with Drizzt armor and slings. She mostly focuses on buffing, and enchantmens (Hold, Rigid thinking). Remove fear against mages, defensive harmony and protection from evil 10 rad against other enemies, but it doesn't change much.

Edwin - Mage - Equiped with standard gear, nothing special. Great range of spells for most situations, but after finishing the game and Durlag, he is almost useless as my fighters kill litterly everything in a matter of seconds. The only spells he is using is disableing spells, such as horror, slow, Emotion, Sleep etc.

Tiax - Cleric/Thief - The only spells he uses are Dispel Magic, Reaminate Undead (skeletons) and Hold peron. He also summons a ghast / goul with his special ability.

As I mentioned this is a powergaming party and literally nothing can kill us, Edwin is almost useless since Ralof, Dorn and Kagain kills everything in a matter of seconds. Sarevok fell within a minute. This will be the party I'll do my first playthrough with. After that, they are heading for Amn ;) And later on into ToB.