Skip to content

Importing Dead Party Members

AndrasteAndraste Member Posts: 78
The answer to this question may well be either 'we don't know' or 'you need to learn to google' but I've scrolled back a few pages here and not found what I was looking for, so I thought I'd ask. In short: given that we seem to be transferring the party as well as Charname directly into SoD, does it matter if they're dead?

I tend to take a scorched earth approach to Sarevok, and my latest play through was no exception. Dorn, Montaron, Xzar and Baeloth all had unfortunate encounters with Fireball and/or Cloudkill spells. Only the PC and Tiax were left standing. (Maybe Cyric really did look out for him, because I sure didn't.)

Normally I wouldn't care, because it's not like it matters when importing to BG2 ... but they dropped all their stuff! Am I screwed? Do I have to somehow kill Sarevok and keep everyone alive for once?

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    edited January 2016
    The BGEE-SoD import will be like the SoA-ToB import. This is the only offical word. The details are unknown.

But here's my view on the situation, based on the SoA-ToB import.

Those characters who were dead at the moment of your win, will be tranferred to SoD.

And all inventories of party members will be tranferred to SoD, as they are.

So if a character is dead, he as a character will be tranferred. But if you left his items on the ground and you didn't take them into the inventories of those who survived during the Sarevok's fight, these items can't be tranferred to SoD.

As for trying to beat Sarevok without casualties. it's possible. Try different strategies, check when your characters are in a danger. As a last choice, you can lower the difficulty.
  • AndrasteAndraste Member Posts: 78
    Thank you for the advice!

I replayed the fight more cautiously - the good old 'distract Sarevok with the Wand of Monster Summoning while you kill him from afar' tactic - and only lost Montaron this time. He took out Semaj with an epic backstab, but that attracted the attention of Tazok, and, well, squashed halfling.

Had plenty of time to pick up his stuff, although I'm amused at the idea of Charname stopping in the middle of the battle to redistribute everything. ('Hey, bro, could you stand right there for a second while I pick up all these swords and boots and pass them out to my buddies? Just need to make sure Tiax isn't carrying too much stuff .')
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Congrats on your better result!

I personally don't see anything strange in that behavior - your party has to defeat enemies, and they must use everything they have at their disposal - all those wands and trinkets from the fallen comrade will help to avenge him. And later you'll go to the nearest temple and raise you fallen comrade. His belongings will help others to survive ;)
  • WowoWowo Member Posts: 2,064
    Can make the Sarevok fight quite easy if you utilise all of the potions and other consumables available throughout the game.