Skip to content

Which Charname should I use in my iOS run of BG/BG2?

2»

Comments

• VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    I think I'll probs pick up Tenser's as this is a "mostly" necro-blade. I'm already kind of breaking my initial thing by using Mage Armor and such. As for the APR-thing I didn't know it was that important. If it is I wouldn't mind picking up shortswords/scimitars.

1. Longswords, TWF
    4. TWF
    8. TWF.
    12. Scimitars
    16. Shortswords
    20. ??? (I'll prob wing it from here and sort of choose proficiency if I find a cool weapon I want to use)

• SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Vallmyr said:

I think I'll probs pick up Tenser's as this is a "mostly" necro-blade. I'm already kind of breaking my initial thing by using Mage Armor and such. As for the APR-thing I didn't know it was that important. If it is I wouldn't mind picking up shortswords/scimitars.

1. Longswords, TWF
    4. TWF
    8. TWF.
    12. Scimitars
    16. Shortswords
    20. ??? (I'll prob wing it from here and sort of choose proficiency if I find a cool weapon I want to use)

Personally I would go with scimis on 8 and the last TWF on 12, since you can get Belm directly after Irenicus dungeon, long before level 12 and after 2 pips in TWF the main hand doesn't get any lost THAC0 (Belm added APR goes to main hand).

But as said earlier, APR maximization is 'powergamey'. You don't "need" it but if you want to be really effecient in melee, you prolly want it. If you are going for tenser's, then you might as well spec your charname for effecient melee. Also, "mostly necro blade" means no polymorphing, so you wouldn't be able to use that possiblity either.

You can prolly add tenser's as an innate ability and RP that it is one of your bhaal spawn powers and still keep your spell book clean with only necromancy spells ('cept armor, but you don't need it since you can use armor (drizzt's is the best) in BG1 and skip magic and then in BG2 you can get elven/melodic chain). If you trade away DUHM and the rest of the abilities, as well as sacrificing a sixth level spell slot (keeping it blank or removing it in eekeeper) for tenser's I'd argue that it woulnd't be "too" cheesy either. But then I guess you should remove it once the charname loses said abilities in the spellhold, if you want to follow the story, so it's up to you of course.

edited January 2016
    So I don't mean to necro this but I thought I'd give a status report.

Playing BG on the iPhone is awesome. Some of the controls are jank like having to hold to inspect an item and such. I imagine in BG2 I may just play on a lower difficulty for sake of convenience.

I got the elven armor from Dorn's quest and got Alora now! n_n. I adore my current party though I have no "real" fighters. Viconia, Val with his armor, and Rasaad make my front line. It's not terrible but I have to approach things a little differently. I'm playing it less than I was but my goal is to get this character ready for SoD which it seems I'll make it before the expacs release. The Blade is most certainly my favorite class I've used even now after the hype of the initial playing of the class has wore off.

My plan currently is to go grab all the stat-boosting tomes before I continue with the main story. All I've done in the city of Baldur's Gate so far is recruit Alora. Her Archery skills are the best and she makes an alright dual wielder. I cast invisibility on her (until I get her stealth skills up) and have her backstab and then switch to two weapon fighting. If things get harry or I feel she'll die quickly I use her as an archer. Imoen atm is useless as a low level mage until she gets her thief proficiencies back. I'm also having trouble with Neera. I adore her character but the fear of her spellcastings going wrong makes me hesitant to have her cast.

Does she become more reliable in BG2 or is she always super scary to use? She's caused me to reload the game a few times even when just casting something like magic missile but then she explodes and kills half my party >_>

Edit: Also about APR do I want both Belm and Kundane or just have one in my off-hand and have a stronger weapon in the main hand?
    Post edited by Vallmyr on
  • FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    Neera is my favorite mage in BGII. There is an item called the Robe of Goodman Hayes which she can wear; it significantly reduces the incidence of wild surges. Also, those get less frequent as a wild mage gets more experience levels. Until then, make sure she uses Chaos Shield.

• FrdNwsmFrdNwsm Member Posts: 1,069
    Note: Neera's quest in BGII can get buggy if not completed precisely. This problem is addressed in the forums elsewhere.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    edited January 2016
    Vallmyr said:

Edit: Also about APR do I want both Belm and Kundane or just have one in my off-hand and have a stronger weapon in the main hand?

@vallmyr: I usually have both when facing trash mobs, then switch to something with higher magical level in the main hand when facing tougher opponents; either where the higher actual enchantment level is needed or where the added THAC0 to the main hand is better than an extra attack with lower THAC0. If I recall correctly, you had some self-retrictions (necro-blade)thus not using tenser's, right? So using a +4 weapon in the main hand (ie Usono's blade) instead of a +2 does make a difference.
    I think as a self-imposed rule with my mostly-Necro build I'll allow one spell slot dedicated to a non-necro spell.