Skip to content

Game improvement suggestions

deniz1adeniz1a Member Posts: 7
edited January 2016 in Feature Requests
- Add an option in auto-pause menu for drinking potion. So that the game pauses when potion drinking is completed.
- Add order queueing feature. This would execute multiple actions one after another. For example, first drink this potion, when that is completed, cast this spell, after that attack this npc...
- Show range circles for spells that have area of effect.
- Define experience points per party member instead of in total amount. The current system discourages accepting new members because that would reduce XP current members would receive. Or it could be a combination of both. There could be a base total amount plus an amount for each party member.

Comments

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Nice suggestions, but the queueing feature is kinda there. Hold shift while executing multiple orders for character (start from moving around) and you'll see what happens.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @O_Bruce No, it's not. The OP said "For example, first drink this potion, when that is completed, cast this spell, after that attack this npc" there is nothing like that. Queuing movement isn't relevant to that.
    @FinneousPJ Next time I play I check it out. And I think you've missed the fact that I used movement only as example.
    @O_Bruce You can't queue spells using shift for example.
    @FinneousPJ
    I admit I was wrong. You can queue commands such as movement/targeting enemies for attacking but not usage of items or casting spells.
    @O_Bruce Indeed. But it would be amazing if we got it!
    @FinneousPJ
    Let's post some more in here, then. Maybe the topic will be noticed.
    @bengoshi Can you move this over to general discussion?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Moved to feature requests.
  • RodrianRodrian Member Posts: 426
    deniz1a said:

- Show range circles for spells that have area of effect.

Actually, that could be REALLY helpful..

Also #DwarvenBards!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    - Quick key / macro option for red loot button.
    - Hotkeys for various scripts.
    In Did you know? thread, @Jaheiras_Witness said:

Tweakpack: if you use the "mages cast scrolls at caster level" component of this mod, that can be a massive boost for your spellcasters but unfortunately it gimps a thief casting from scrolls with UAI. The thief has no caster level and so the spell is cast at its minimum power. A Magic Missile scroll thus cast only generates 1 missile, Stoneskin gets you minimal skins, etc. Beware!

And this reminded me, that it should be a *common* thing in those games. Not necessarily an improvement, but it makes sense (for me), and I always play with it.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited January 2016
    Rodrian said:

In Did you know? thread, @Jaheiras_Witness said:

Tweakpack: if you use the "mages cast scrolls at caster level" component of this mod, that can be a massive boost for your spellcasters but unfortunately it gimps a thief casting from scrolls with UAI. The thief has no caster level and so the spell is cast at its minimum power. A Magic Missile scroll thus cast only generates 1 missile, Stoneskin gets you minimal skins, etc. Beware!

And this reminded me, that it should be a *common* thing in those games. Not necessarily an improvement, but it makes sense (for me), and I always play with it.
    Why? Scrolls are imbued with the spell's magic by the writer of the scroll, not the reader. The reader just releases the power, the same as a wand wielder releases a power from a wand. Both are releasing a pre-stored magic power.

Ideally, it should be as the DMG recommends - minimum caster level for the spell + 1.

EDIT: I forgot, the DMG also states the minimum caster level for a scroll would be 6. So, even 1st and 2nd level spells have a caster level of 6.
    Post edited by AstroBryGuy on
    edited January 2016

Ideally, it should be as the DMG recommends - minimum caster level for the spell + 1.

THAT, or either "my version"... still, everything would be better than "every scroll casts at 10 lvl 'cause @Elminster made all of these blsht"
    Post edited by Rodrian on
    edited January 2016
    Rodrian said:

THAT, or either "my version"... still, everything would be better than "every scroll casts at 10 lvl 'cause @Elminster made all of these blsht"
    I would find your version the least desirable option.

The DMG allows scrolls to be made more powerful by increasing the caster level. So, for lower level spells (1st - 4th levels) a casting level of 10 is allowed (even if non-optimal). Also, checking many of the 1st-3rd level spells scrolls, I found many already set to a caster level of 6 (e.g., Agannazar's Scorcher, Fireball, etc..), which is appropriate.

For higher level spell scrolls, setting the caster level to 10 effectively just sets the caster level to the minimum necessary for the spell (Bioware/Beamdog generally set the minimum level effect to have a minimum caster level of 1, and then start the next effect at minimum caster level + 1*). So, 6th level spell scrolls would cast as 12th level caster, 7th level scrolls at a caster level of 14, etc.. That's one level lower than the "minimum caster level + 1" from the DMG, but it's only 1 level.

* e.g. Mordenkainen's Sword (7th level spell - minimum caster level 14) has effects for a caster levels of 1st, 15th, 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th, and 20th, with the 1st level effect being the duration for a 14th level caster. A scroll set to 10th level just uses the "caster level 1" effect.

EDIT: If you want PnP spell scroll caster levels, I made a mod to do it: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/46720/scroll-caster-level-mod?new=1
    Post edited by AstroBryGuy on
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited January 2016
    Rodrian said:

Edit: Wasn't initially sure what you meant in your sentence here but I eventually figured it out.

I would leave it as is personally. Whoever crafted these scrolls was probably of a decent level themselves. So I'm largely ok with how things are.
    edited January 2016
    elminster said:

Wasn't initially sure what you meant in your sentence here but I eventually figured it out.

Forgive me Master @Elminster. I would blame my dwarven nature - from my mother's side - and an inborn antipathy for *magic*, which were unleashed by drinking a few cups of dark 'ale, earlier that evening...

Returning to "reader is releasing a pre-stored magic power":
    @AstroBryGuy
    I'm just a simple bard of doubtful abilities, who knows a few tavern tricks and pathetic illusions, and finally, I understand, that the scrolls/wands are imbued with *magic* of some power, but I still believe, that the caster's lvl should have some impact, on the "final power" of the released spell. Which roughly confirms my theory about thieves inability to use full power of scrolls/wands, due to lack of magic experience (and I was focused strictly on thieves, while writing my previous thoughts).
      ~"The thief has no caster level and so the spell is cast at its minimum power"
    Rodrian said:

elminster said:

Wasn't initially sure what you meant in your sentence here but I eventually figured it out.

Forgive me Master @Elminster. I would blame my dwarven nature - from my mother's side - and an inborn antipathy for *magic*, which were unleashed by drinking a few cups of dark 'ale, earlier that evening...

Returning to "reader is releasing a pre-stored magic power":
    @AstroBryGuy
    I'm just a simple bard of doubtful abilities, who knows a few tavern tricks and pathetic illusions, and finally, I understand, that the scrolls/wands are imbued with *magic* of some power, but I still believe, that the caster's lvl should have some impact, on the "final power" of the released spell. Which roughly confirms my theory about thieves inability to use full power of scrolls/wands, due to lack of magic experience (and I was focused strictly on thieves, while writing my previous thoughts).
      ~"The thief has no caster level and so the spell is cast at its minimum power"
    The above only applies if you install the BG2 Tweaks' mod "Cast Spells from Scrolls at Character Level". With the vanilla game, when a thief uses a scroll (only possible with the Use Any Item HLA), it casts at the caster level of the scroll.
    edited January 2016
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    I agree with all the suggestions, but I would make "Show the range of the spells" an option.