Skip to content

What race is he?

WinterisleWinterisle Member Posts: 111
So, I like having a folder full of all kind of portraits, specially for my Black Pits parties. The thing is, a lot of times I find it hard to difference the race of some of the character portraits. I'm not always absolutely sure of their sex part of the time...

Take for example this well known in-game portrait:

I suppose it has to be a halfling, but that little beard sometimes makes me doubt. I keep reading that halflings can't grow beards.

If I am not the only person with this" obsession" (am I?), this could be a good thread to analyze portraits.

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
    A wonderful idea for a thread. Especially if the artists could come and tell themselves :) Mike Sass, if you have time ...

To me, the portrait in the OP can suit halflings just fine (although he has a beard), as it can suit gnomes and humans.

I've been wondering about this portrait from BGEE bonus by @JasonManley

I've chosen it as a dwarf's portrait but one can say that there's a human on the portrait.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I remember that leprechaun. It's my least favorite portrait, and BG2 had some very homely portraits.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    When I took the portrait in the OP on a ride through the Swordcoast, I made him an gnome Thief-Illusionist.
  • WinterisleWinterisle Member Posts: 111
    bengoshi said:

To me, the portrait in the OP can suit halflings just fine (although he has a beard), as it can suit gnomes and humans.

I've been wondering about this portrait from BGEE bonus by @JasonManley

I've chosen it as a dwarf's portrait but one can say that there's a human on the portrait.

I'm going to say that that's a human. Doesn't have one of those huge dwarven-shaped heads, but it could do as a dwarf.

I'm pretty sure that the guy on my portrait is a halfling. My theory is that the "halflings don't grow beards" came a bit after BG1, or whenever the portrait was created.

•  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Well BG1 had Coran with human ears and Viconia's, uh, whatever the hell it is so I would take its lore integration with a grain of salt. He looks like he has pointy ears so a gnome would make the most sense.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I'd say he's a halfling. Maybe just one that was hit by some wild magic gone awry.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    I believe halflings have a more youthful face, while gnomes look older and uglier with more wrinkles. So that portrait is a gnome illusionist, methinks. But curly hair is more halflingy, I dunno. Then again Montaron's portrait does not look like baby face, much, but he has an awful grimace in that shot. Like the infamous Faldorn portrait. Alora is a babe, though.

@bengoshi I never noticed until now but that portrait has a seriously creepy stare! Those eyes! I did not notice them when the pic was small but when this big...ugh I can not take my eyes away, it eats at my soul with that glare of death.
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    It's definitely a gnome. An ugly gnome.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Not for one instant did I think that the second portrait was anything other than human - if he's a dwarf and looking down at me like that, how short am I?
    Personally I prefer ambiguous portraits (of which I don't think there are enough) because a lot of them are class specific anyway and half of them are already allocated to npcs (why are they included as an option anyway?) so a lot of the time I don't actually have any choice at all as to which portrait to use.
    The second portrait, my friend used it for his half orc barbarian. Towering height, and odd-purplish skin color. Maybe. Lore says some half orcs look similiar to humans. Some are very ugly and brutish looking with misshapen nose-canine teeth etc. like the stock half orc portrait in the game. I think Dorn is somewhere between the two extremes.
  • RodrianRodrian Member Posts: 426
    Is there someone who recalls, if there is a dialogue or "exposition", that proves Montaron's a halfling?

(Actually, this should rot in "Little things that annoy you" thread, because for all these years of me playing BG, I was teased by a question: "shouldn't he be a AOdamn gnome?")

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited January 2016
    Rodrian said:

Is there someone who recalls, if there is a dialogue or "exposition", that proves Montaron's a halfling?

(Actually, this should rot in "Little things that annoy you" thread, because for all these years of me playing BG, I was teased by a question: "shouldn't he be a AOdamn gnome?")

Dorn refers to Monty as a halfling.

... DORN: What others say about me?! Bah. Who dares gossip about me?
    CHARNAME: It was Montaron.
    MONTY: My tongue's not half as sharp as this blade—
    DORN: Die, halfling!

Also, his character record screen clearly says "Halfling" and he uses the halfling avatar. So, he's a halfling.
    Post edited by AstroBryGuy on
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
    Not to imply anything, @AstroBryGuy , but just a note. I think we all here know that Montaron uses the halfling avatar and his race is shown as "Halfing" on the record screen. The question (or should we call it just "post") by @Rodrian was about whether the portrait suited a halfling or not, because to him that portrait looked like a gnome.

And it's worth noting that "all these years of playing BG" we didn't have the EE content and thus couldn't read any dialogue with Dorn.
    edited January 2016
    My apologies if my reply to @Rodrian was snarky @bengoshi.

In the portrait, Montaron has no beard and his nose is embarrassingly small for a gnome. :smile:

If it's the ears, then note Alora has pointy ears, while Jan Jansen does not (see below; Quayle's and Tiax's ears are not shown well enough to establish pointy-ness, but they both have beards like Jan).

EDIT: Also, from BG2, a dialog between Minsc and Xzar that refers to Monty as a halfling:

If you have Minsc in the party when you meet Xzar, he says, "You! I remember you! And so does Boo! A craven wizard who travels with his untrustworthy halfling!"

Here's another one that bugs me a lot:

Halfling or gnome? I think that in NWN it's considered a halfling. I see a halfling in every aspect, except for the slight facial hair and the rather large nose.
    He may be a homely half-elf, too! But maybe he is not that ugly, that face is perfectly excusable when your bandages are soaked through with blood.
    Elves don't get beards but half elves do, right?
  • RodrianRodrian Member Posts: 426
    @AstroBryGuy in fact, your previous response was pretty on point :confused:

After second consideration, I guess that the record scr. and dialogues are more reliable than a portrait, which we can change so easily by ourselves...
    Hmm, I reconsidered my mind: what REALLY annoys me now, is that the BG portraits artists probably were so *disordered* and *unaware* during work...

So I assume, that after "all these years of playing BG" it's time to *improve* some of in-game art :wink:

PS -

In the portrait, Montaron has no beard and his nose is embarrassingly small for a gnome.

Well, we can see some "puberty hair" on his chin and also, that's not a nose - it's as much *potato-gnomish* as possible :grin:

PPS - @bengoshi, I really appreciate your backup ^^

@Winterisle - again, looks like someone lost a "track" making this one as well (comparing FR lore).
  • GoturalGotural Member Posts: 1,229
    Rodrian said:

what REALLY annoys me now, is that the BG portraits artists probably were so *disordered* and *unaware* during work...

I always assumed that the portraits were imprecise to allow them to be used by multiple characters.

I think it was did on purpose, to me that first portrait is a Human merchant for example.
  • SanctiferSanctifer Member Posts: 104
    edited January 2016
    When I played the original BG1 back in the days, i rolled a halfling cleric (or was he a fighter/cleric ? I'm not sure) with that portrait, and the paperdoll was an exact match, same shirt and "undershirt", same sideburns, same leather thing barring his chest, perfect.
    So to me he's definitely a halfling cleric.

So, I like having a folder full of all kind of portraits, specially for my Black Pits parties. The thing is, a lot of times I find it hard to difference the race of some of the character portraits. I'm not always absolutely sure of their sex part of the time...

Take for example this well known in-game portrait:

I suppose it has to be a halfling, but that little beard sometimes makes me doubt. I keep reading that halflings can't grow beards.

If I am not the only person with this" obsession" (am I?), this could be a good thread to analyze portraits.

Post edited by Sanctifer on
  • YelocessejYelocessej Member Posts: 182
    It's whatever you want it to be. Just look at Coran's mugshot. Also, Mr. Green Hat and Chops was the alternate portrait for Edwin in the original game if you had chosen his portrait for your own.
    edited January 2016
    I'm thinking about going for the 'achievement' of having used all vanilla portraits (the bonus ones would take me a lot more time, as I haven't used even one yet, I also exclude all portraits that belong to an NPC in the game).

I have used the 'Abdel' portrait for Sir Gilgamesh, a Cavalier who became Lord of the De'Arnise Stronghold in a romance with Nalia.

I have used the 'halfling' from the OP as the gnome thief-illusionist called Koriand that's the default if you choose to import the pre-made character file for Thief-Mage in BG Tutu (and in BG1 vanilla?).

I have used the bald fighter with the ring-beard for R'am, a berserker dualed to cleric.

Right now I'm thinking about creating a playthrough with this girl:

I'm wondering if I could pretend she's a pretty gnome girl, with the slightly knobby nose and pointed ears?

One portrait I'll exclude from my all portraits achievements because I find it too comical and ugly is this one though:

According to portraits.chosenofmystra.net he's an elf, but you get this portrait if in BG Tutu, you import the default Thief .cre file and then he's a halfling, so even though I won't use him, he's a valid entry for this topic. Discuss!
    Post edited by Son_of_Imoen on
    edited January 2016
    One slighty off-topic thing about BG:EE's portraits that makes me wonder, is why the green (half)orc portrait in BG2:EE (as well as in Tutu, where I used it for a half-orc fighter-cleric in a duo-run with Imoen as Thief>Mage) is missing from the first EE game?

It becomes more on-topic if you look at him and realise he looks more orcish than half-orcish, but you can play him as a half-orc only as a race.

(the image is low-res as I took it from a Tutu screenshot - I just found out to my dismay there's no quick way to create character in BG2:EE without watching and clicking through the whole opening scene as there's no Pre-Generate option in BG2:EE :0 )
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

One slighty off-topic thing about BG:EE's portraits that makes me wonder, is why the green (half)orc portrait in BG2:EE (as well as in Tutu, where I used it for a half-orc fighter-cleric in a duo-run with Imoen as Thief>Mage) is missing from the first EE game?

It becomes more on-topic if you look at him and realise he looks more orcish than half-orcish, but you can play him as a half-orc only as a race.

(the image is low-res as I took it from a Tutu screenshot - I just found out to my dismay there's no quick way to create character in BG2:EE without watching and clicking through the whole opening scene as there's no Pre-Generate option in BG2:EE :0 )

The half-orc portrait wad originally available in BG2, when half-orcs were added as a player race. It wasnt available in BG:ee because it was in the vanilla version.

The elf with feathers in his hair was my half-elven jester.

The blond elf is my favourite portrait and have used it many times as an elven cleric, elven archer, halfling cleric, elven sorcerer, gnome illusion thief, gnome cleric thief.
    deltago said:

The half-orc portrait wad originally available in BG2, when half-orcs were added as a player race. It wasnt available in BG:ee because it was in the vanilla version.

In the vanilla version half-orcs weren't a playable race, but the EE edition is based on the original BG2 engine, including the possibility to play half-orcs, making it possible to play a half-orc in the first part of the saga. So it would be logical if they included this portrait in BG:EE as well. Or would it be against the contract of not being allowed to fiddle with original content, only adding new things?
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

deltago said:

In the vanilla version half-orcs weren't a playable race, but the EE edition is based on the original BG2 engine, including the possibility to play half-orcs, making it possible to play a half-orc in the first part of the saga. So it would be logical if they included this portrait in BG:EE as well. Or would it be against the contract of not being allowed to fiddle with original content, only adding new things?
    Probably against the contract because none of the BG2 portraits were included.
    edited February 2016

According to portraits.chosenofmystra.net he's an elf, but you get this portrait if in BG Tutu, you import the default Thief .cre file and then he's a halfling, so even though I won't use him, he's a valid entry for this topic. Discuss!

To me he looks like an elf, but in BG that's Deders portrait, the halfling fighter/thief of Candlekeep that you can encounter during your training before leaving with Gorion or in the Catacombs on your return. I found this screencap on another thread:

To me he looks like an elf, but in BG that's Deders portrait, the halfling fighter/thief of Candlekeep that you can encounter during your training before leaving with Gorion or in the Catacombs on your return. I found this screencap on another thread:

The filename is GENMELFL.BMP, so I'd say Bioware thought it looked like an elf too. :smile:

It can be whatever race you want it to be. Maybe someone likes un-bearded, pointy-eared dwarves?

I do also note that the portrait for Osprey, the Cleric-Mage, is wearing armor and holding a sword. :confused:
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100

The filename is GENMELFL.BMP, so I'd say Bioware thought it looked like an elf too. :smile:

It can be whatever race you want it to be. Maybe someone likes un-bearded, pointy-eared dwarves?

I do also note that the portrait for Osprey, the Cleric-Mage, is wearing armor and holding a sword. :confused:

You mean this?