Skip to content

Helm of Opposite Alignment

NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
Aside from the obvious change in alignment does the HoA have any practical uses when developing chars? For Instance, would it be able to turn a Priest of Talos into a Cleric/Ranger and the like?

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    All it does is change alignment. The only things that this would affect are things like dialogs and scripts that check for alignment.

The helm wasn't ever obtainable in the game without cheating or exploiting until it was added to the Demonknight in BG1:EE. I suspect it was an idea thought up by the original devs of the game and it was scrapped for whatever reason. Because of this the only planned alignment changes are plot related and pretty much a one shot thing. This means that, since there was no planning for an item that changes alignment, there is also no planning for any special effects of alignment change beyond what was planned for the plot. I would recommend being careful with your use of the helm as it may have unexpected/buggy effects on your game.

That said, I myself did use the helm in my blackguard run to change some of the outcomes of certain dialogs and encounters.
    JuliusBorisovThacoBell
  • KorbuKorbu Member Posts: 61
    edited February 2016
    I wonder if the Alignment change from it can be used to make an otherwise "Good" Cleric gain the ability to control undead with Turn Undead. Good Clerics can destroy undead. Evil Clerics can control them. If i remember correctly, Neutral Clerics just make undead run around in fear with Turn Undead (which is why i pretty much never use Neutral Clerics).
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    An other interesting effect of the Helm when turning undeads is related to the paladin turning of the evil clerics. If you have both a pally and an evil cleric in the party every time the cleric use his turn undeads the pally gets incapacitated, using the helm the problem should be avoided (I did not test it).

I don't know if the helm is a possible protection against the clerical spells that damage characters of opposite alignment, like Unholy Blight, did anybody test it?
    Wise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisovsemiticgoddessCrevsDaak
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    edited February 2016
    A piece of information about the helm. With vanilla ToSC it was possible to get it by killing the demonknight at the top of the tower. You had to stop his spells working using a Protection from magic scroll or Otiluke's resilient sphere. Then the spells got changed and it was no longer available, though deleting the spell from the override folder should have made the spells work properly again. I didn't test this as the helm wasn't that useful. It was however the only helm that a true druid could wear.

I think that it could be used my mages as well and thus you could wear one of the free archmage robes even if you were good.
    JuliusBorisovlolienCrevsDaakThacoBell
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    Maybe another possible use of it can be when leveling up. Would be funny to choose a planetar or deva and then, next level, with the helm choose the other one. Also this is not tested by me.
    JuliusBorisovSkatan
    One minor effect would be that you wouldn't be attacked by the paladin in BG.
    Tresset said:

All it does is change alignment. The only things that this would affect are things like dialogs and scripts that check for alignment.

The helm wasn't ever obtainable in the game without cheating or exploiting until it was added to the Demonknight in BG1:EE. I suspect it was an idea thought up by the original devs of the game and it was scrapped for whatever reason. Because of this the only planned alignment changes are plot related and pretty much a one shot thing. This means that, since there was no planning for an item that changes alignment, there is also no planning for any special effects of alignment change beyond what was planned for the plot. I would recommend being careful with your use of the helm as it may have unexpected/buggy effects on your game.

That said, I myself did use the helm in my blackguard run to change some of the outcomes of certain dialogs and encounters.

You could get it in vanilla ToSC by casting a spell on the demonknight at the top of the tower to stop him teleporting away. In my experience it was necessary to cast the spell twice, though it might have been possible doing it once if you were more skilful than I. I think that otilukes sphere and protection from magic were the spells that worked. Changes were then made to the spells though I could never understand why.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I remember getting it as well, but I don't think I ever bothered to kill him at the top, so I must've got it from him at the bottom.
    scriver said:

I remember getting it as well, but I don't think I ever bothered to kill him at the top, so I must've got it from him at the bottom.

He didn't have it at the bottom, at least not in my game.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

scriver said:

I ran Durlag's Tower just yesterday. The Demon Knight did drop the Helm at the bottom of the dungeon. I'm running the latest PC version.
    ThacoBell said:

scriver said:

I ran Durlag's Tower just yesterday. The Demon Knight did drop the Helm at the bottom of the dungeon. I'm running the latest PC version.
    That will be the EE version. In EE they changed things. It wasn't there originally. The devs may have changed things because of complaints that changes made in the original game made it no longer accessable.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

ThacoBell said:

scriver said:

That will be the EE version. In EE they changed things. It wasn't there originally. The devs may have changed things because of complaints that changes made in the original game made it no longer accessable.
    Ah, I assumed we were talking about EE.
    Mantis37
    Can understand that, but having played first vanilla and then Tutu for years, and EE for just three months, I still think primarily of Tutu and then secondarily of EE.
    ThacoBell