I wonder how many other players draft ideas for new kits like I do. If you do, post them here for others to see and maybe even have an interested modder make them a reality. They can be either ideas taken from PnP or wild creations of your own imagination. They don't have to be balanced, but feel free to comment on ideas for balancing them! Here are my drafts that I have lying around.
Dragon Fist (monk) - a glass cannon, probably the most imbalanced
DRAGON FIST: There is a sect of spiritual warriors said to have the blood of ancient dragonkin running through their veins. These warriors harness the power of their dragon blood to unleash powerful flames from their hands and feet in the same ways monks wield ki. The chaotic instincts and imbalance in the dragon fist's blood often cause practitioners to be destructive and violent in nature, but not necessarily malevolent like their draconic ancestors.
- +1 bonus to Strength.
- +2 bonus to AC.
- +4 bonus to hit and damage rolls against dragons.
- May use the Dragon's Rage ability once per day. Gains one use at level 1 and an additional use every 6 levels thereafter.
DRAGON'S RAGE: The enraged state lasts for 1 turn. While enraged, the Dragon Fist gains a bonus of +2 to his damage rolls as well as +2 to Strength but a -2 penalty to attack rolls and Armor Class, and becomes immune to charm, confusion, fear, feeblemind, hold, imprisonment, level drain, maze, stun and sleep. The Dragon Fist also gains 15 temporary Hit Points which are taken away at the end of his berserk spree, possibly knocking him unconscious. However, upon activation the Dragon Fist has a 50% chance of going losing control for 4 rounds, attacking the closest target in range.
- 5th level: Each successful attack lowers the target's resistance to fire by 2% for 3 rounds. This can reduce fire resistance to below zero.
- 7th level: Chance of losing control with Dragon's Rage lowered to 40%.
- 9th level: May use Breath Weapon once per day.
BREATH WEAPON: The Dragon Fist breathes a gout of flame up to 30 ft. long, inflicting 3d8 points of fire damage on all creatures caught within the 140-degree cone.
- 11th level: Gains 10% resistance to slashing, piercing and missile damage. An additional 5% is gained at levels 16 and 21.
- 12th level: Breath Weapon damage increases to 4d8.
- 13th level: Chance of losing control with Dragon's Rage lowered to 30%.
- 14th level: Gains 2% Fire Resistance per level (starting at 28% at 14th level)
- 15th level: Breath Weapon damage increases to 5d8.
- 16th level: May use Flame Blast ability twice per day.
FLAME BLAST: The Dragon Fist launches a ball of fire at the target which explodes dealing 3d6 fire damage to everyone around the target within a 15-ft radius. All targets struck must make a save vs. breath weapons or be stunned for 1 round.
- 18th level: Breath Weapon damage increases to 6d8.
- 19th level: Chance of losing control with Dragon's Rage lowered to 20%.
- 21st level: Breath Weapon damage increases to 7d8.
- 21st level: May use Hellfire Blow ability once per day. An extra use is gained at 35th level.
HELLFIRE BLOW: The next successful attack deals 10d6 fire damage in a 30-ft radius and knocks all targets unconscious while sending them flying for 1 round. Those who roll a successful save vs. breath weapons take half damage and are not knocked unconscious or sent flying.
- 24th level: Breath Weapon damage increases to 8d8.
- 25th level: Chance of losing control with Dragon's Rage lowered to 10%.
- 31st level: Chance of losing control with Dragon's Rage removed.
- Alignment restricted to chaotic.
- May not find traps or use stealth.
- Does not gain standard monk armor class bonus.
- Does not gain magic resistance per level.
- May not use the Lay on Hands ability.
- May not use the Stunning Blow ability.
- May not use the Quivering Palm ability.
Spellthief (bard) - a mage/thief like class
SPELLTHIEF: Spellthieves use skill and arcane magic to drain the abilities of their opponents and turn their foes' own powers against them. Spellthieves love the challenges that adventure brings, and they relish finding unique and inventive ways to use their abilities. Because they have such a wide variety of abilities, spellthieves can adapt themselves to overcome nearly any challenge, but they have neither the overpowering arcane might of wizards nor the brute force of fighters. Spellthieves never cast two spells when one will do, and they excel at using misdirection and deception to overcome seemingly stronger opponents.
- +1 bonus to save vs. spell every 5 levels.
- Has a unique bard song.
Level 1: Recalls a random spell up to level 3 (50% chance of success)
Level 11: Recalls a random spell up to level 5 (50% chance of success) and one up to level 3 (100% chance of success)
Level 21: Recalls a random spell up to level 8 (50% chance of success and one up to level 5 (100% chance of success)
- May use the Steal Magic ability once per day per 10 levels.
STEAL MAGIC: For 2 rounds, the spellthief's attacks steal a spell from their opponent and restores one of their own up to any level equal to half of the spellthief's levels rounded down (e.g. level 12 can steal up to level 6 spells)
- Level 6: Backstab multiplier of x2.
- Level 9: May use the Steal Resistance ability once per day per 10 levels.
STEAL RESISTANCE: For 2 rounds, the spellthief's attacks steal a cumulative 5% of the opponent's magic resistance for 5 rounds.
- Level 10: Gains 5% magic resistance. An additional 5% is gained at levels 25 and 40.
- Level 18: Backstab multiplier of x3.
- Level 30: Backstab multiplier of x4.
- Two less spell slots per level.
- Alignment restricted to non-lawful.
- May only use weapons available to thieves.
Mystic Fire (paladin) - a semi-paladin/mage
MYSTIC FIRE: Knights of the Mystic Fire are paladins dedicated to the church of Mystra, goddess of magic. Aside from traditional virtues of paladinhood, Mystic Fire Knights devote part of their lives in the discovery and study of ancient magic.
- Able to use wands and scrolls.
- +1 bonus to save vs. spells.
- +2 bonus to lore per level.
- At level 9 onward, gains two spell slots per spell level.
- May cast the following spells as priest spells:
Level 1: Magic Missile, Chromatic Orb, Identify, Shield
Level 2: Mirror Image, Web, Melf's Acid Arrow, Strength
Level 3: Fireball, Lightning Bolt, Slow, Remove Magic
Level 4: Minor Sequencer, Fire Shield (Red), Secret Word, Stoneskin
- 10th level: +1 bonus to save vs. spells.
- 13th level: May cast 'Shatter Spell' once per day.
SHATTER SPELL: Knights of the Mystic Fire are able to smite spellcasters and disrupt their defensive spells as well as their ability to cast magic. For the next 2 rounds, attacks made by the Mystic Fire dispel combat protections and cause spell disruption for one round if the target fails a save vs. spell.
- 19th level: Gains an extra use of Shatter Spell.
- 20th level: +1 bonus to save vs. spells.
- 25th level: Gains an extra use of Shatter Spell.
- 30th level: +1 bonus to save vs. spells.
- -1 penalty to Strength and Constitution.
- May not use the following High Level Abilities: Whirlwind Attack, Greater Whirlwind Attack, Deathblow, Greater Deathblow, Hardiness, Summon Deva
- May not use Protection From Evil.
- May not Turn Undead.
- May not use Lay on Hands.
An experienced Mystic Fire Knight develops more knowledge of arcane spells closer to that of an actual wizard. The Mystic Fire Knight gains -1 to spell casting time permanently and learns Spell Immunity, Contingency, Globe of Invulnerability and Mordenkainen's Sword as fourth level priest spells.
Extra 1st-4th level spells
Choosing this ability allows the mystic fire to cast one additional Level 1st-4th level spell.
Loremaster (bard) - a mage-like bard
LOREMASTER: (No background yet.)
+2 spell slots per level
Bard Song 'Recital':
Level 1: +1 INT, +20 Lore
Level 11: +2 INT, +25 Lore, immunity to confusion
Level 21: +3 INT, +30 Lore, immunity to mind-affecting spells
May use 'Empower Spell' starting at level 5.
EMPOWER SPELL: For the next round, the loremaster's spells have no cast time and are cast at 1.5x his spell level.
May only be proficient in quarterstaffs, slings, clubs, crossbows and darts
THAC0 progresses as that of a mage (or just -1 THAC0 per x level, haven't decided)
May not take the following HLAs: Use Any Item, Magic Flute, Set Exploding Trap, Set Spike Trap, Set Time Trap, Enhanced Bard Song.
Arcane Fountain: The loremaster may use his knowledge of magic to cast any arcane spell of his choice. However, there is a 20% chance this spell will fail. The loremaster must take a round to channel, then cast the spell (with whatever casting time the spell has)
Extra 6,7,8 Spell Slots: Same as Mage.