Skip to content

Valentine's day

brusbrus Member Posts: 944
edited February 2016 in Off-Topic
What will you get to your significant other?
Do you prefer more some material present or showing an affection?
What kind of a love mister/mistresses are you?

Have you made your significant other jealous (in a funny way) while romancing Baldur's gate character ? :)
WardAerakarJuliusBorisov

Comments

• WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    edited February 2016
    I've never purchased cards or flowers... or wrapping paper. I feel like they're wasteful and that it's not genuine to use them because tradition says to, unless they have some meaning or significance. Like a favourite flower.

A mental note of 'little things' as you hear them, to later use for little surprises, makes it Valentines Day all year. We don't need a day to remind us to, recognize the things they cherish and celebrate it.

I need a gf. It's been too long. Looooooool
    bruslolien
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,016
    I had my first of many Viconia flings in one of my original BG2 playthroughs way back in 2001, very much annoying my wife :)

I think it is more appreciated to display random unexpected gifts of affection at times other than the major holidays. Of course this does not excuse one from needing to do something on the major holidays also, at least from my personal experience...
    brusWardJuliusBorisovlolien
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    I just sent her a drawing of my dragon avatar holding a letter to her in his mouth...

But knowing my luck and history with attempting relationships in the past, I expect a rejection honestly.
    YamchaAerakarJuliusBorisov
  • wraith5641wraith5641 Member Posts: 500
    Well, last year I wrote my ex a poem. That whole day ended up being a farce, so this year I'm glad to not have to get anybody anything :)

Sorry to put a downer on things. I just feel like romantic gestures get wasted on people you were rocky with any other time of the year. If you didn't do much for V-Day, but you are happy with your significant other in the 365 collective days, that's a better deal, in my opinion.
    WardAerakarJuliusBorisovlolien
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Did a drawing. Wo-ho.
    Aerakarlolien
  • ArchaosArchaos Member Posts: 1,421
    edited February 2016

But knowing my luck and history with attempting relationships in the past, I expect a rejection honestly.

Rejections mean nothing. You get "rejected", you move on. You make it as important as you want it to be.
    So the trick is: "Don't make it important."

And really, do romantic stuff AFTER you get into a relationship. Don't follow the movies or series advices.
    Before getting into a relationship, you just need confidence and being fun to be around.
    Not the "I must do something romantic to impress her" movie nonsense.

"Hey, let's go out sometime. It's gonna be fun."
    brusAerakarlolien
    @Archaos
    Don't her me wrong, I don't dwell on rejections, while I do try to learn from the past, I don't cling to it.

Plus, I'm actually not the romantic type of person The drawing is the closest I've ever come to being romantic in my life... its kind of sad actual.
    Then again, I tend to avoid most people, I'm not the most social person in life... despite my career choice...

One can argue walking the artist path has forced me to be more social. Wait I think I just pulled a red herring here...

Aerakarbrus
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    @DragonKing
    What do you mean by artist path has forced you to be more social? You can respond to me in PM.
    edited February 2016
    @O_Bruce
    You know, fine artist usually have to interact with people at their gallery opening and social events that they are in. Illustrators like many other careers have to go out to other peoples shows and events to get known and notice. I've been in 2 show, about to be in a third and each one I had to go out and be a around a very uncomfortable number of people and social activity. I'm also constantly told by my professors that I should be hitting all the shows trying to make connections, get my face and name known among the art scene. -shiver-

While being stuck in a gallery is far from my end game, even professional illustrators, comic artist, concept designers should be going out to art events trying to make the connections. We may have the internet in this day and age but believe me, from my experience and the experience of many others I've talked to; its just a tool and it doesn't ave you from having to get up and go out.

Fortunately for me I'm not at the point where I have to draw and paint famous musician posters that are coming to my city, make 10-20 prints and then get to the stadium a little before the show ends and try to sell the prints for like 20 usd per pop. I'm close, but not there just yet.

God, the mount of people I'd have to deal with then, my energy would be drained like a I met a vampire by the end of it. :tired_face:
    Post edited by DragonKing on
    JuliusBorisovbrusNonnahswriter
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Valentines should once again go back to adult singles being allowed the opportunity to send flowers or a card to some one they admire...

However I think the smug and married brigade have taken it over. It has caused me to experience to much pressure... I did not have as much fun as I thought I would. Plus, I'm not sure I like my girls getting so many cards...

This may be a Dad thing...
    bruslolienAerakarNimran
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited February 2016
    One one the most awful feeling is when you're involved in love triangle on Valentine's day and the knowing you're a loose vertex. Sending cards to ones you admire gets you on your feet, for awhile.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    I spent the entire V-day weekend at a Doctor Who Convention. I had a blast and did not even think about being single or having no one to give a valentine. I highly recommend it if you have the opportunity.

Plus, there were tons of single geeky women there to hang out with.
    Aerakar
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    i sent my mum a card and had a fancy lobster dinner with my boyfriend and another couple. good times were had by all.

i'm a romantic kind of guy and like valentine's day, but as stated above, it doesn't mean anything if you don't appreciate each other year round
    Aerakar