Skip to content

Foebane +3 and +5 improvement mod

elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
edited May 2016 in BGII:EE Mods
So basically the intent behind this "mod" (if you want to call it that I did this all in Near Infinity) is to add various races when it comes to the damage bonus granted by Foebane (both versions).

The original weapons described their extra damage as being "+6 damage vs undead, shapeshifters, and all extraplanar beings (demons, planetars, etc)"

Only thats not how it works in game. The weapon doesn't do extra damage against planetar's and there are extraplanar beings (like elementals, genies/djinni, mephits, githyanki, etc) that aren't included with its bonus either.

The intent of this mod is to add in this extra damage to as many of the extra-planar beings as I can figure out. In some cases like Faeries and Beholders, it seemed like in D&D there were specific examples where these monsters had extra-planar sub species but in general they lived in the prime plane (so I didn't include them). I'm sure the list on what should be included is up for interpretation, but under this mod the following are now getting the +6 bonus.

Original weapons bonuses

Lycanthropes (Wolfwere's, Werewolfs, etc).
Dopplegangers
Undead
Rakshasa
Demonic (which tends to be demons but there are probably other examples that fall under this category).

Additions for modded Foebane

Solars/Anti-Solars
Planatars/Dark Planatars
Elementals
Githyanki
Imps
Mephits
Genie
Tiefling

In any case I've tested it out myself and it seems to work fine.

Installation Instructions

Thanks to Crevsdaak there is now a weidu mod for this. You can find it here. Just install it as you would any weidu mod.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/779516/#Comment_779516
Post edited by elminster on
jacobtanBlackravenCrevsDaakTressetGoturalinethmf2112GrammarsaladAbelALIEN

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    edited April 2014
    @elminster would you like me to make a weidu of this mod?
    edit: with basic copy functions :P
    Post edited by CrevsDaak on
    elminster
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Hmm...just thought of Tieflings. I don't suppose you run into many of those besides Haer'Dalis though.
  • jacobtanjacobtan Member Posts: 655
    edited April 2014
    @elminster‌

Thanks for the mod! This looks as expansive as it can get within the parameters of the game. Technically, druids are shapeshifters too, but they are coded as humans though. I'll probably use your version together with the my own patch (the EFFb - EFFf files in my installation are faulty) until the developers patch this one officially and make a stand as to what they want to include as extraplanar creatures.

I admit I had itchy hands and wanted to make Crom Faeyr a throwing hammer and kill fire giants as per PnP description, but stopped myself XD
    elminster said:

Hmm...just thought of Tieflings. I don't suppose you run into many of those besides Haer'Dalis though.

Can't remember any of those too.

Blackraven
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,175
    elminster said:

I think some are in the labyrinth level of Watcher's Keep, in the room with wild magic.
    jacobtanCrevsDaakelminster
    edited April 2014
    Pecca said:

elminster said:

I think some are in the labyrinth level of Watcher's Keep, in the room with wild magic.
    Yea I looked it up after I wrote that. It looks like its probably just members of the group Haer'Dalis is with, Haer'Dalis, and the Tieflings you find in Watcher's Keep.
    edited April 2014
    jacobtan said:

@elminster‌

Thanks for the mod! This looks as expansive as it can get within the parameters of the game. Technically, druids are shapeshifters too, but they are coded as humans though. I'll probably use your version together with the my own patch (the EFFb - EFFf files in my installation are faulty) until the developers patch this one officially and make a stand as to what they want to include as extraplanar creatures.

I admit I had itchy hands and wanted to make Crom Faeyr a throwing hammer and kill fire giants as per PnP description, but stopped myself XD

elminster said:

Can't remember any of those too.

II'd have to look into it. I don't think Kondar treats druids as shapeshifters so I think I'll leave them out for now.

All the EFF file names I used should properly correspond with what they'd normally be (including for the +5 version). So even after Foebane +5 gets fixed this mod should work.
    jacobtan
    @elminster‌ are the effects already in the game or are they made by you? If you made them I'm adding my modding signature (a two letters prefix, 7C in this case) to them to make this mod more compatible with other mods, and renaming them to 7CF#B01 accordingly to their number.
    edited April 2014
    All the effects are individual EFF files for each enemy race/classification (undead is technically not a race) for each weapon. All I did was basically take what was already there, copy it many times, and then repurpose the copies for the different races that are affected. You could probably have a single EFF file for both weapons that just adds the damage, but for whatever reason the weapons themselves already had like 5 EFF files each (even though from what I can see they all just add 6 slashing damage and otherwise there is no difference between them). I just assumed they had so many to allow for modifications in the future.

So since I'm rambling I'm just going to shorten this and say if you want to add your signature go right ahead.
    @elminster‌ here I have it :)
    I changed the Effect's name to 7C#F#B.EFF and used that one in all the cases instead of all the different ones you've created. I've added you as the author and I also added me for bugs and installation failures. I 'updated' it to version v1.1 but I don't think that would change something.
    elminsterGrammarsalad
    CrevsDaak said:

@elminster would you like me to make a weidu of this mod?
    edit: with basic copy functions :P

Weird. For the longest time this post wasn't showing up for me. It literally just appeared tonight :)
    CrevsDaak
    @elminster‌ and how did you knew what it said? :P
    edited April 2014
    CrevsDaak said:

@elminster‌ and how did you knew what it said? :P

I got a notification saying you posted something here. So since I couldn't read it here I went to your profile and then looked under your comment history. It gave the first line or so of text (all that I needed).
    CrevsDaak
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    Thanks for the mod, and the WEDIU file. I'll definitely be using it!
    CrevsDaakelminster
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    Thanks for the mod, and the WEIDU. Am looking forward to using it.
  • lololo555lololo555 Member Posts: 66
    Can you convert this mod into an "old" bg2 mod? I get nasty bugs when trying to install with the weidu and copying the files to override just crushes the game.
    @lololo555‌ just dump the files form the itm and eff folders in the mod's folder into the override folder. I have it installed on my BGT and it goes OK.
    elminster
    Well I wrote earlier that it crushes the game while loading, removing the dumped files fixes the problem. I added another eff to both versions of the sword by nearinfinity, hope it works. Thanks anyway.
    elminster
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    Just a request - please always update the top post with the latest version, weidu or not ;)
    I'm sure @CrevsDaak‌ will remind you ^^
    CrevsDaak
    CrevsDaak said:

@elminster‌ here I have it :)
    I changed the Effect's name to 7C#F#B.EFF and used that one in all the cases instead of all the different ones you've created. I've added you as the author and I also added me for bugs and installation failures. I 'updated' it to version v1.1 but I don't think that would change something.

I wanted to dust off once again the BG2 and bought the EE version, I thought that is time to fix that darn Foebane bug and downloaded your Weidu version and it has a parsing error :P. Any protips how to fix it? I know I could just copy the files from the from elminster, but I'm just curious what's the problem here.

I hope you are still here.
  • axellsladeaxellslade Member Posts: 47
    The Weidu version doesn't work on my BG2EE 2.1 fresh install:
    In state 919, I expected one of these tokens:
      [0] EOF
      [47] BEGIN
    Parse error (state 919) at END

[7C#FOEBANE/7C#FOEBANE.TP2] PARSE ERROR at line 10 column 1-3
    Near Text: END
            GLR parse error

[7C#FOEBANE/7C#FOEBANE.TP2]  ERROR at line 10 column 1-3
    Near Text: END
            Parsing.Parse_error
    ERROR: parsing [7C#FOEBANE/7C#FOEBANE.TP2]: Parsing.Parse_error
    ERROR: problem parsing TP file [7C#FOEBANE/7C#FOEBANE.TP2]: Parsing.Parse_error

FATAL ERROR: Parsing.Parse_error

Press ENTER to exit.
    No word on this error?
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    Open the file "7c#foebane/7c#foebane.tp2" in a text editor of your choice and remove the trailing "END" from the script.
    axellslade
    argent77 said:

Open the file "7c#foebane/7c#foebane.tp2" in a text editor of your choice and remove the trailing "END" from the script.

Thank you, that solves it!
    edited May 2016
    I fixed it so that no one else should have to edit the tp2 file.
    mf2112Grammarsalad
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    See how this almost got lost! Maybe the weidu version could be submitted to tweaks anthology(?)
    lansounet
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    Agree with the above, just one question : why not use the already existing eff ?
    edited May 2016
    lansounet said:

Agree with the above, just one question : why not use the already existing eff ?

The mod originally used various EFF files (because that is how the weapon was originally programmed). That however isn't necessary since they all get the same bonus. So I guess when it was weiduized Crevsdaak just used the one EFF file. Which is fine.
    edited May 2016
    The vanilla foebanes already use some eff file for the creatures they cover, why add a new one instead of using SW1H63.EFF ?
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    has this been fixed yet in vanilla or must we still use this mod?
    edited May 2016
    @bob_veng Looking at my 2.2 install it seems they cut the description... No more mention of "extra-planar creatures"
This discussion has been closed.