Skip to content

Shaman specifics?

Hey everyone,

Amber said in the stream today that she might write down the specifics of the shaman class, i.e. race restrictions, weapons, alignments... Any chance for that? ;)

Comments

• Amber_ScottAmber_Scott Member Posts: 513
    Thanks @AlexT !
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    Very cool. It'll be interesting to see how shamanic dance works in practice, especially at higher levels when you have a chance of summoning very weak creatures.

Kind of sad that they don't get any strongholds, though. You'd think they'd be a close enough fit for the druid stronghold, but I guess not.
  • AlexTAlexT Member Posts: 760
    edited March 2016
    Jarrakul said:

Kind of sad that they don't get any strongholds, though. You'd think they'd be a close enough fit for the druid stronghold, but I guess not.

The Druid stronghold is closely tied to the druidic rituals of ascension. It's not suitable for any other class.

[spoiler=More Shaman details]
    Despite some similarities Shamans are not a druid kit, they are a separate class entirely. Shamans also do not share the druidic ethos which allows druids to wear heavy armor and shields as long as they aren't made of metal (i.e. no Ankheg Plate for Shamans).
    [/spoiler]
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Fascinating! Truthfully I'm baffled that they are barred of lawful and chaotic aligments however. I had imagined they, unlike druids, didn't care about balance at all. Especially after reading the various AD&D, D&D and Pathfinder Shaman classes/kits.

Come to think of it: will there be shaman specific items in SoD? If so, will they also become buyable in base BG:EE, BG2:EE and ToB? What about Shaman HLA's and general progression beyond level 18?

( tagging @Grammarsalad and @subtledoctor since this may interest them.)
  • DeCrunchDeCrunch Member Posts: 14
    edited March 2016
    Thanks for the infos!

It is cool to see them be able to use bows. However, weak summons might make the shaman dance a bit useless later one, at least at times. We will find out!

EDIT: Whoops, didn't read properly. Edited out a question ;)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I think @bengoshi might be interested in this thread :)
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    edited March 2016
    AlexT said:

Here you go:

[spoiler=Shaman kit description]
    SHAMAN: Shamans forge a divine connection with the natural world, similar to the way Druids commune with nature, but Shamans are more spiritual than primal. They directly tap into the energies that flow through the earth and air, through plants and animals, and even through the dead, and shape these energies to obey their will. Nowhere is this more evident than in their ability to summon powerful spirits as guardians and defenders. A being of two worlds, Shamans value balance over dominance.

CLASS FEATURES:

– May only wear leather, studded leather, and hide armor
    – May not equip shields larger than bucklers
    – May only use the following weapons: dagger, club, spear, axe, quarterstaff, dart, sling, and shortbow
    – May only become Proficient (one slot) in any weapon class
    – May only become Proficient (one slot) in any fighting style
    – May cast Druid spells
    – Does not automatically learn all spells of a given level as Druids do. Instead, Shamans select new spells to learn when they gain levels; once learned, the Shaman can cast them daily without memorization.
    – In addition to learning new spells at every level, the Shaman gains immediate access to a number of shaman-specific spells, which can be cast like any other spell in their repertoire: Spirit Ward, Writhing Fog, Spiritual Clarity, Spirit Fire, Recall Spirit, Spiritual Lock, and Ether Gate
    – Gains use of Detect Illusion skill with 20% points as a base, with an additional 4 points per level, up to a maximum of 100% at level 20
    – May use Shamanic Dance at will

SHAMANIC DANCE: Shamans can summon spirit allies by performing a ritualistic dance. While dancing, the Shaman takes a -4 penalty to armor class and cannot move, attack, cast spells, use items and special abilities, or perform any other activity. Each round while the Shaman dances, there is a 35% base chance plus 2% for each level of the Shaman that a spirit will answer the call, up to a maximum of 75% at level 20. Any summoned spirits will disappear if the Shaman moves, stops dancing, or if the spirits leave visual range. The spirits grow in power as the Shaman gains additional levels:
    Level 1: Minor animal spirits (snake, fox, hound), up to 2 spirits at the same time
    Level 6: Major animal spirits (bear, panther, boar), up to 3 spirits at the same time
    Level 12: Minor nature spirits (lesser air spirit, lesser earth spirit, lesser fire spirit), up to 4 spirits at the same time
    Level 18: Major nature spirits (air spirit, earth spirit, fire spirit), up to 5 spirits at the same time
    The type of the summoned spirit is randomly determined from all the spirits available at the Shaman's level. For example, a level 12 Shaman will summon either a minor nature spirit, a major animal spirit or a minor animal spirit, but cannot choose which one appears. Spirits will do their best to protect the Shaman but are not controlled directly.

– Does not gain bonus spells per day for high Wisdom
    – Alignment restricted to neutral good, true neutral, or neutral evil
    – May not dual-class or multi-class
    – No Stronghold. The Shaman is not eligible for any stronghold. (This affects only the Shadows of Amn campaign in Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition.)
    – Hit Die: d8
    - Only Humans, Half-Elves and Half-Orcs may become Shamans
    [/spoiler]

Bonus tidbit: participants of the upcoming Public Beta for BG:EE and BGII:EE will be able to play as a Shaman.

Okay, interesting. Looks like a completely unique usability flag. Too much armor for a thief, looks similar to the druid, but we're told they can't use some druid armors

That first disadvantage makes me think that they might have externalized attributes a bit more--wisdom at least.

A modder is going to have to address that stronghold issue.

I'm really curious about any 'change dance' opcode. I can think of some interesting kit ideas for that.

I like the detect illusions skill. I'm hoping that we can use that button to detect traps if we add the right skill points. I'm hoping that it is not like the bard pick pocket button where is absolutely must be used for that only one thing. I'm hopeful

I wonder how the unique spells are added... Via clab, or something more... Creative
  • DeCrunchDeCrunch Member Posts: 14
    Can you also give more detailed information on the new spells and HLAs, or is that still classified? ;)
  • AlexTAlexT Member Posts: 760
    edited March 2016
    DeCrunch said:

Can you also give more detailed information on the new spells and HLAs, or is that still classified? ;)

If you join the BG:EE and BGII:EE Public Beta, you can actually play with a Shaman right now and see all that in-game.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Do the shaman's summons count as summons in the 5-unit summon restriction?

For example, if i have 5 skeleton warriors summoned (and alive), will my shaman summon anyone while dancing?
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    Is it possible to change the color of the summons to pale blue or displaced black instead of white ?
  • Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Member Posts: 121
    I am disappointed about the stronghold line because Druids are one of the classes I have yet played as the main PC... And I was looking forward to using a shaman to finally see that quest line.
  • MoriendorMoriendor Member Posts: 4
    Bit of a n00b question here, folks, so bear with me, but I was wondering if it would be possible to create a non-Shaman main character and a Shaman, then start a multiplayer game with those two characters and fill up the remaining four slots with the usual companions (Imoen & co)? Would you still get all the party banter and companion quests? What would be the difference to a single player game?

The reason I'm asking is that I'd love to play the entire saga BGEE, SoD + BG2EE with a Shaman but don't want to deal with the no stronghold restriction so would the above be a good "workaround" fix for that?

Thanks! :)
  • BlackorbBlackorb Member Posts: 62
    Yes moriendor it is possible to start a multiplayer game to make a extra party member and then fill the other slots with imoen & co. What you also could do after starting a multiplayer game is save and then transfer the multiplayer save file to your singleplayer save folder, so you can have your extra party member in a singleplayer game.
  • MoriendorMoriendor Member Posts: 4
    Blackorb said:

Yes moriendor it is possible to start a multiplayer game to make a extra party member and then fill the other slots with imoen & co. What you also could do after starting a multiplayer game is save and then transfer the multiplayer save file to your singleplayer save folder, so you can have your extra party member in a singleplayer game.

Awesome, thanks :) . Let us assume I would play through BGEE like that... would it be possible to export both, my main *and* the new Shaman to SoD and BG2EE? Do you think it would/should be possible to play through the entire saga with the same main + Shaman team of two? Or would I have to export my main to SoD or BG2EE but create a new Shaman for each game using the same "trick" with the multiplayer game to single player "conversion"?
  • TimebombTimebomb Member Posts: 20
    AlexT said:

DeCrunch said:

If you join the BG:EE and BGII:EE Public Beta, you can actually play with a Shaman right now and see all that in-game.
    How does one "join"?
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Timebomb said:

AlexT said:

DeCrunch said:

How does one "join"?
    [spoiler=joining the Public Beta]

I. How to get builds for each platform

To participate in this beta, you must first have purchased the game on the platform you wish to test on. Note that purchasing on Beamdog gives you access to the PC and Mac versions, while purchasing on Steam gives you access to the PC, Mac, and Linux versions.

Steam: Opt in to the beta for PC, Mac, or Linux by installing BG:EE or BGII:EE. Then do the following:
    1. Right-click on the game, and choose Properties.
    2. Click on the Betas tab.
    3. Enter the beta access code for the game you are testing:
    • Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition - aeK4fiexKuz4voav
    • Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition - zee5Ahgegoh4Ohgh
  • Click on "Check Code."
  • Under Select the Beta..., choose the option ending in "_beta" from the dropdown.
  • Click Close.
  • Beamdog: If you were part of the Road to 1.3, you will find the Beta products in your Beamdog client. Just download and go! If you don't have these, we'll let you know when we are adding new testers for the Beamdog versions.
    [/spoiler]
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    @Moriendor, you can export/import both characters, but I'm pretty sure you'll have to start the game as multiplayer to actually play with both.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Which xp table do shamen use?
  • orikorik Member Posts: 3
    Fardragon said:

Which xp table do shamen use?

It appears to be the mage xp table
  • orikorik Member Posts: 3
    And priest thac0 and saving tables
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    i'm probably repeating myself, but: will there be enemy shamans in bg:ee and bg2:ee?

(it would be a bit weird to be the only shaman in the world, except during SoD where i suppose you encounter some)
  • MonkeyLungsMonkeyLungs Member Posts: 44
    As far as I can tell the 'create your own custom party' is in the next patch. I haven't personally tried it yet though ...
  • rorikonrorikon Member Posts: 105
    I just checked the BG2 Beta for the custom party option. You start a single player game as normal, and on the character generation menu there's an 'Advanced' button at the bottom of the screen next to the 'Back' and 'Accept' buttons. That takes you to a 'Create Party' screen like the one in multiplayer/IWD.
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    I would love to legitimately have a useful second player from step one of the game instead of Imoen. If you do create a multiplayer save by yourself and move it to the regular game how does it decide who is the Bhaalspawn? Can you get a familiar with a second PC?
  • BlackorbBlackorb Member Posts: 62
    @PK2748 The one who is the bhaalspawn is the one who you created in your first party slot (or imported in to the first party slot) And no your second pc cant have a familiar.
  • prairiechickenprairiechicken Member Posts: 149
    Well I was expectung them to use priest spells, in iwd2 they are basically priests.

It does make sense to make them druids though. But I fear that they will be underpowered because pure druids suck in bg2 and shamans will not be better