Skip to content

Are there going to be subraces in bg;ee?

xLegionxxLegionx Member Posts: 197
edited August 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
Yeah so will subraces be implemented into the current bg;ee game and will they have a standout effect on how the game plays out? Such as if I play as a drow people will react to a drow accordingly such and such?

Comments

• FillaFillasonFillaFillason Member Posts: 110
    edited August 2012
    No subraces for bgee i think.. Certainly not drow
  • xLegionxxLegionx Member Posts: 197
    Really?! Ugh...how very disappointing!
  • jaldenjalden Member Posts: 44
    "All of the additions and improvements from Baldur's Gate 2: The Shadows of Amn have been brought to Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition. Now you can use class kits, new subraces and classes that were previously unavailable."
    -http://www.baldursgate.com/enhancements.en.html

There will be subraces.
    RAM021
  • IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    I think that is incorrect. I believe they mean races, because they will bring the Half-orc to BG1. Subraces were added in IWD2, which is not part of this enhancement.
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    Half-orcs are only one subrace but announcement is " New subraces "

@Tanthalas
    Tanthalas do you know anything about this ?
    Or is it only typing error ?
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    The only news about subraces was weeks ago when PhillipDaigle mentioned that they discussed adding sub-races as a post-release patch.

I think its unlikely that there'll be new subraces at launch, but only one of the developers can really confirm that.
    IchigoRXC
    In a patch? Well...so long as they bring'em out here I guess I'm happy! :)
  • XzarXzar Member Posts: 215
    So, through destiny and might we shall rule supreme, after all :)
    Fake_SketchSpace_hamster
    Xzar said:

So, through destiny and might we shall rule supreme, after all :)

Your damn right!! Power to the drow and our own selfish plots! >:)
    Fake_Sketch
    edited August 2012
  • EpitomyofShynessEpitomyofShyness Member Posts: 113
    I understand not being able to release it at launch but it would be awesome if they released it later in a patch! I would love to be able to play as a tiefling for example.
  • WorgWorg Member Posts: 170
    Sure there will be subraces eventually don't know which ones. Drow however will probably be a 5$ dlc considering how popular it is. Bgee is a cow and it needs to be milked.
    Fake_SketchRoller12
  • aldainaldain Member Posts: 303
    Tanthalas said:

The only news about subraces was weeks ago when PhillipDaigle mentioned that they discussed adding sub-races as a post-release patch.

I think its unlikely that there'll be new subraces at launch, but only one of the developers can really confirm that.

That sounds very interesting. Obviously I've no idea of how much work it is, but it doesn't sound like adding some subraces would be a massive undertaking.
    Worg said:

Sure there will be subraces eventually don't know which ones. Drow however will probably be a 5$ dlc considering how popular it is. Bgee is a cow and it needs to be milked.

I doubt that. Though I'd pay a few $ for a pack of say 10 subraces of various abilities, no question about it.
  • CrazedSlayerCrazedSlayer Member Posts: 130
    There was an attempt at modding BG2 at some point so that you could play as Drow and have everyone react differently to you because of it. Apparently the task was rather large in scope and the project was abandoned, so I think any attempt at including a unique race would likely be met with the same difficulties.
    Hey everyone! I found an article from ign and in it they announce that subraces will be in bg;ee which is great news!

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/26/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition-pricing-release-date-announced
    darrenkuo
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    @xLegionx That article actually states that kits and subraces brought to the game by BG2 will be in the game i.e Half orc.
  • goodoogoodoo Member Posts: 17
    Personally I think that subraces are possible and that they might even make it into the game (even if not at launch).

Everyone who has not played the series yet might want to look away, I'm going to spoil a little.

The reason I think, that subraces might come is this:

With Viconia (BG I and II) and Haer'Dalis (BG II) there are actual subrace characters already. Since they are not just scripted enemies but possible companions (and therefore playable) it would make sense to create at least their subraces as 'true' subraces (not just script enhanced elfes or whatever they are).

Of course, I fully agree that some subraces would be a bit difficult to include story wise, but let us not forget, that there is a multiplayer mode available too.

Point is: Only one player (the host I think) is a bhaalspawn in multiplayer, so since the other players are common mortals so to speak, why wouldn't they have a subrace?

Well so much for my thoughts on the topic. I am looking forward to the game even without new subraces (even with my sword/shield switching hands when I turn around T_T :p), so I guess this is not too important to me. And if nothing else, I think I read somewhere that this game is going to be modder friendly, so if not by the devs, we might get subraces by some crafty modder.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    @goodoo I may be misremembering earlier threads; It has been mentioned as possible downloadable content after release.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    I remember they there was something about the subraces from one (both?) Of the iwd games might be added as post release dlc
    I'm all over it if it's dlc. And it would give them more money coming in if u have to pay for it.
    Moomintroll
  • jaldenjalden Member Posts: 44
    So do PC players get all of the dlc for free or just some of it?

I remember they there was something about the subraces from one (both?) Of the iwd games might be added as post release dlc

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @jalden

From what I recall there will be free DLC and paid DLC for PC.
  • KouTheMadKouTheMad Member Posts: 77
    what were the races and subraces available in both games previously?
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513
    Unfortunately subraces won't make it into the shipping version. I hope to patch them in later, and definitely hope to include them in BG2:EE. We have them all planned out and whatnot, but didn't have a chance to include them.
    Tieflings, Aasimar, Gold Dwarves, Wild Elves, Duergar, (cough)DROW(cough)... we've got some plans.
    (c) @PhillipDaigle, Lead Producer, Writer

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/z1af7/we_are_overhaul_games_the_team_behind_baldurs/c60q4bn
    http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/z1af7/we_are_overhaul_games_the_team_behind_baldurs/c60pncv
    RedGuardKouTheMad
    edited September 2012
    Unfortunately subraces won't make it into the shipping version. I hope to patch them in later...

@PhillipDaigle
    Approximately how long is "" later "" ?
    Week, month or more ?

I am very excited to play BG:EE as soon as possible, but i want play with my favorite race so i will must wait anyway... :-(
  • PhillipDaiglePhillipDaigle Member Posts: 654
    After the release we'll probably be running around fixing bugs that slipped by, and then we'll have more information about post-release features.
    RedGuard
    edited September 2012

After the release we'll probably be running around fixing bugs that slipped by, and then we'll have more information about post-release features.

I really do´t want lecture you, but things like races and professions should be done first, because it guide us in whole game. Many additional contents can be played with current game, but for this specific things we need start new game... ( This is not disrecpect from my side, only suggestion )
    Aw man that sucks! We'll if you do indeed plan to put it as a post dlc then by all means I'll wait until it comes out to start playing! I just can't see myself playing as a "lesser" race if u know what I mean...
    Edvin
  • ArchaonArchaon Member Posts: 24
    SVIRFNEBLIN, PLEASE! :D
    xLegionx said:

Aw man that sucks! We'll if you do indeed plan to put it as a post dlc then by all means I'll wait until it comes out to start playing! I just can't see myself playing as a "lesser" race if u know what I mean...

Amen brother ! :D
    100 % Agree.