Skip to content

The canon party should be half orcs!

GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
Proof? You want proof? Fine.

(1) The people of icewind dale are racist jerks. IWD2 is all about how a pair of tieflings were driven to a life of evil because the people of IWD couldn't get over their heritage.

(2) Nothing gets you any reputation increases in the game. Nothing! Save villagers and get them sent back to the town? No rep increases. Save Conlan's son? No rep increase. Clear out their undead problem? Destroy the thieves who took their hearthstone gem? Kill a damned dragon out to kill everyone and stop a war that will destroy the ten towns? Nothing.

(3) Reputation is a thing. Mercy killing a paladin ruins you're. Killing a villager ruins it.

(4) The only people who ever acknowledge you being heroes are...

* The halfling who has a job to trick adventurers into dying within a cursed castle
* A shaman whose God told him about you
* The arch Druid who asked for an army and is left with just you. Notice that he never helps you in any way, rewards you, or does anything but send you to places where you will likely die? You'd think that if he cared about you he'd offer to have some acolyte Druids heal you for free, scout for you, etc...

Put it all together and half orcs make the most sense. They are civilized enough to not be killed on sight, but racism against them will have them be mistreated and taken for granted like in icewind dale. In Baldurs Gate you at least get a cool title to be remembered by in history. IWD? Just...the adventurers. It's like the survivors were too embarrassed to admit who saved them.

Comments

• KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    IWD:EE ought to have a Revised Enhanced Edition where among other things, reputation increases are implemented.
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Following your logic, it would be just as reasonable to create a party of a mummified gnome, a myconid, an illithid, a hamster, a :cookie:, and a ferret.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100
    Nimran said:

Following your logic, it would be just as reasonable to create a party of a mummified gnome, a myconid, an illithid, a hamster, a :cookie:, and a ferret.

I disagree. Half orcs are semi-accepted. Having them wander into town means second glances and the town guard watching you. Traditional monsters get killed on sight. Except hamsters (who CAN be heroes) and cookies (who get eaten).
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Grum said:

Nimran said:

I disagree. Half orcs are semi-accepted. Having them wander into town means second glances and the town guard watching you. Traditional monsters get killed on sight. Except hamsters (who CAN be heroes) and cookies (who get eaten).
    Poor :cookie:..
    Nimran said:

Grum said:

Nimran said:

Poor :cookie:..
    Well that's why so many of them join evil adventuring parties. Revenge.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I modded my game so you can pay to have your REP increased to 20, although I made it cost quite a bit to make it more fair, for example if you want 19 rep it will cost 10 000gp to go from 18 to 19, and 20 REP costs 50 000 gp to go from 19 to 20,

I think later I will make it so some quests you complete will increase your REP for doing so ( like saving conlan's kid for example)
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited March 2016
    But do the discounts from 20 REP (even combined with 20 CHR) make up for the +50k gold you donate? If I read your post correctly one's better off putting up with the average rep prices.
    Kilivitz said:

But do the discounts from 20 REP (even combined with 20 CHR) make up for the +50k gold you donate? If I read your post correctly one's better off putting up with the average rep prices.

The best and most RPish thing that I could find how to do in the vanilla game is this:

Have a bard with 16-8 Charisma and the spell 'friends.' This gives him +5 Charisma, boosting him up to 23. This allows you to get the full 25% discount from prices. Rather than think of it as a spell, think of it as your bard bringing up your party's heroics to get a good discount. It's like reputation...the bardic way!

Or, if you are doing an all dwarf run, have a dwarven cleric with 16 Cha. There is a magical item you can buy which lets him cast friends once per day, which will give your dwarfs the full discount.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Grum said:

(1) The people of icewind dale are racist jerks. IWD2 is all about how a pair of tieflings were driven to a life of evil because the people of IWD couldn't get over their heritage.

I thought they were cambions, not tieflings.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Kilivitz said:

well for me there are 2 reasons:

1- there is so much gold in this game what else is there to do with it? ( and I also added in some new items that cost quite a bit, so mix that in with the million +2 bullets that you can buy at the severed hand, in the end it might be worth it)
    2- when teams in my game hit 20 REP, it doesn't say heroic, it says *True Hero* I don't mind spending the extra cash for a cooler title :)

Grum said:

I thought they were cambions, not tieflings.
    What's the difference? Aren't both just the offspring of infernal beings and mortals?