Skip to content

Does Carsomyr add to magic resistance?

I'm kinda getting ahead of myself with my solo blade, and considering the human skin armor and Carsomyr being used together.

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Yes.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Tresset @Klorox As I remember it, Carsomyr does not add to MR. However, if you equip Carsomyr first, you can add to its MR.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    @FinneousPJ has it right. I should really double check things instead of go by memory...
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    It's actually very strange functionality. Whenever you equip (or cast, or whatever) something that sets MR, your MR is, understandably enough, set to that value. When you equip something that adds to MR, it adds to MR, even on top of something that sets MR. That means the whole thing is heavily dependent on the order in which items are equipped.

Personally, I'd like to see the whole process streamlined to just automatically add everything together, except for multiple "set MR" effects. But that's not how the game works.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Jarrakul said:

It's actually very strange functionality. Whenever you equip (or cast, or whatever) something that sets MR, your MR is, understandably enough, set to that value. When you equip something that adds to MR, it adds to MR, even on top of something that sets MR. That means the whole thing is heavily dependent on the order in which items are equipped.

Personally, I'd like to see the whole process streamlined to just automatically add everything together, except for multiple "set MR" effects. But that's not how the game works.

There are a number of mods that do this... Although if they are concerned with balance they usually also reduce the magnitude of some effects (+50 is insane for something as powerful as MR). For instance I think Item Revisions just makes it +30 for Carsomyr... More powerful than almost anything else, but not by so much.
    edited March 2016
    If my understanding of Item Revisions is correct, it removes "set MR" effects entirely, and simply replaces them with smaller-magnitude "+MR" effects. That's not what I'm looking for. I just want "set MR" effects to automatically stack with "+MR" effects, but crucially, not with other "set MR" effects. The difference there is subtle, but very important, imo.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Jarrakul said:

If my understanding of Item Revisions is correct, it removes "set MR" effects entirely, and simply replaces them with smaller-magnitude "+MR" effects. That's not what I'm looking for. I just want "set MR" effects to automatically stack with "+MR" effects, but crucially, not with other "set MR" effects. The difference there is subtle, but very important, imo.

That makes sense. Personally I believe that set should be *set*... as it's usually used to offset a larger magnitude. But there's usually a mod for every taste, so happy hunting!
    To be honest, I haven't given a ton of thought to what would be best for the game system. I just figure the same set of equipped items should have the same effect, regardless of the order in which they're equipped. I'd probably be just as happy with a mod that made "set MR" effects override everything, and not stack with "+MR" effects at all, under any circumstances. I'm just annoyed by the order changing how stacking works.