Skip to content

[(BG1, BG2)Bug] Chromatic Orb (SPWI118.SPL) inflicts save on caster; damage is negated on save(0914)

2»

Comments

• SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    edited August 2012
    @lansounet - The BG2 version looks to have the most support. If I can get a list of problems or a WeiDU script we should be able to throw this in right quicklike.

[NOTE] the combination of your avatar and "xoxo" may be the creepiest thing I've seen all week :P
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    Came up with vanilla BG2 spells with applied fixes from the BG2fixpack. At one point I also added some display string/portrait icon effects for the weakness/pain effects but that didn't look good because only the enfeebled line/icon seemed fitting, so I removed them. Also realized the random orb selection was a feature from Spell Revisions.

Attached SPL files. String 12174 needs to be changed to
    Chromatic Orb
    (Evocation)
    Level: 1
    Range: 30 yards
    Duration: special
    Casting Time: 1
    Area of Effect: One creature
    Saving Throw: Special

This spell causes a 2-foot-diameter sphere to appear in the caster's hand. When thrown, the sphere heads unerringly to its target. The effect the orb has upon the target varies with the level of the mage who casts the spell. Each orb will do damage to the target against which there is no save and an effect against which the target must save vs. spells at +6. At first-level, the sphere inflicts 1-4 damage and blinds the target for one round. At second-level, the sphere inflicts 1-4 damage and inflicts pain upon the victim. At third-level, the sphere deals 1-6 damage and burns the victim. At fourth-level, the sphere deals 1-6 damage and blinds the target for 1 turn. At fifth-level, the sphere deals 1-8 damage and stuns the target for 3 rounds. At sixth-level, the sphere deals 1-8 damage and causes weakness in the victim. At seventh level, the sphere deals 1-10 damage and paralyzes the victim for 2 turns. At 10th level, the sphere causes 1-12 acid damage and turns the victim to stone. At 12th level, the sphere will inflict 2-16 points of acid damage and instantly kill the victim.
    NOTE: The victim saves vs spells at +6 against all the effects and gets no save against the damage.

if these are gonna be included in game.

There's also an issue with Save vs. [save type] not always displayed but that seems to be a global issue.
    I'll toss in the files, but I'm gonna have to ping @AndreaColombo for the text - if it's not too late.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    @SethDavis - I'll apply the text above.
    Is the +6 supposed to be a penalty?
    I need the quickest answer.

@SethDavis
    @Iansounet
    @AndreaColombo - I would assume from the wording and the way that good saves are closer to zero/negative that the +6 is a penalty, but I haven't played DnD so my answer is not the safest.
    edited September 2012
    All right, I'm leaving a generic "+6" for now, but it will have to be edited post-ship. I have consistently used the + sign for bonuses and the - sign for penalties in the text (specifying whether it was a bonus or a penalty).

This is how the descriptions looks like now:
    Chromatic Orb 
    (Evocation)
    Level: 1
    Range: 30 yards
    Duration: Special
    Casting Time: 1
    Area of Effect: 1 creature
    Saving Throw: Special

This spell causes a 2 ft diameter sphere to appear in the caster's hand. When thrown, the sphere heads unerringly to its target. The effect the orb has upon the target varies with the level of the mage who casts the spell. Each orb will do damage to the target against which there is no save and an effect against which the target must Save vs. Spells at +6:
    1st Level: 1d4 damage and blinds the target for 1 round.
    2nd Level: 1d4 damage and inflicts pain upon the victim.
    3rd Level: 1d6 damage and burns the victim.
    4th Level: 1d6 damage and blinds the target for 1 turn.
    5th Level: 1d8 damage and stuns the target for 3 rounds.
    6th Level: 1d8 damage and causes weakness in the victim.
    7th Level: 1d10 damage and paralyzes the victim for 2 turns.
    10th Level: 1d12 acid damage and turns the victim to stone.
    12th Level: 2d16 acid damage and instantly kills the victim.
    NOTE: The victim Saves vs. Spell at +6 against all the effects and gets no save against the damage.
    @AndreaColombo
    It's a bonus to saving throws against the effect
    All right, then the description is actually accurate. I will only have to add the word "bonus" there for clarity's sake - post-ship.

Whoa, a whopping +6 bonus! :-O
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    Couldn't verify "pain" at level 2. What's that supposed to be, exactly? In any case - no saving throw, and only normal damage.

At sixh level weakness is stackable.

Otherwise confirmed fixed.

• Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Pain is a thac0 penalty. iwd2 had a portrait icon for it.
    None of the games implemented the thac0 penalties non-cumulative, so this is fine in both level2 and level6.
    The engine could have some options like 'Don't apply this effect if there is another effect of the same source'. But sadly, the engine developers didn't consider stuff like that.
    Lets call this confirmed fixed.
    Confirming Fixed as well because it's something I really wanted!

BG2 variant with correct description applied :D

I still prefer Spell Revisions' version
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    Just a comment for consideration

"The effect the orb has upon the target varies with the level of the mage who casts the spell."
    I would prefer the term "level of the caster", as this is the Bard spell of choice as you quickly level up, and such gains higher level faster than the normal mage :-)
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @AndreaColombo

Might want to see that last remark.
    Will fix.
  • SedSed Member Posts: 790
    Yay! :-D
    Fixed, in fact.
  • ArtOfShredArtOfShred Member Posts: 14
    edited October 2012
    Also the 12th level variation should read deals 2d8 damage not 2d16. Unless you've already fixed that. You have two lines mentioning the Save Bonus as well:

"Each orb will do damage to the target against which there is no save and an effect against which the target must Save vs. Spells at +6:"
    "NOTE: The victim Saves vs. Spell at +6 against all the effects and gets no save against the damage."