Skip to content

Throwing daggers are lightweight

GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
The latest release notes point out that throwing daggers weight reduces to 0.

I am not sure if this is a good or a bad thing. It may be good, that I consider playing with a weapon I have so far deemed to heavy to use. OTOH, every game I have to deal with the hauling of these make-weights as loot, and there is a sense of achievement actually delivering a large number of full stacks to a single store for the first time each game, and that is not something I want to be robbed of.

So on the one hand, it opens up new characters and playthroughs - that is a plus.
OTOH, it cheapens one of the early-game looting problems that is fun (for me) to solve on /every/ play through.

I wouldn't mind throwing axes becoming a little lighter though ;~) [but obviously, not a 0-weight]

Comments

• JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I'd be up for weight-0 throwing axes as well, honestly. Does it make sense? No. But it also doesn't make sense for arrows to be 0-weight, or for you to get in 30 fights between towns, or for enemies to regularly take a half dozen hits before going down. Throwing daggers and throwing axes should be 0-weight, in my opinion, because of concessions to gameplay dynamics. Concessions which have already been made in other areas (you try carrying around 240 longbow arrows).
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Jarrakul said:

I'd be up for weight-0 throwing axes as well, honestly. Does it make sense? No. But it also doesn't make sense for arrows to be 0-weight, or for you to get in 30 fights between towns, or for enemies to regularly take a half dozen hits before going down. Throwing daggers and throwing axes should be 0-weight, in my opinion, because of concessions to gameplay dynamics. Concessions which have already been made in other areas (you try carrying around 240 longbow arrows).

I've done something similar to this, actually. Except instead of arrows, it was wooden dividers from a wood pile.

Totally manageable, but I wouldn't have wanted to also be fighting off a band of orcs at the same time.
    edited March 2016
    That's kind of my point. I don't mean to say it's literally impossible, but it's far from totally unencumbering.
    Post edited by Jarrakul on
    I was definitely above my weight limit. But I think the bigger problem was that I didn't manage my inventory tetris properly; I kept dropping sticks all over the place.
  • TorinTorin Member Posts: 229
    Jarrakul said:

In PnP thrown daggers and axes are not broken or lost after you throw them unless you throw them off a cliff, you cannot find them afterwards or for whatever reasons you didn't have time to pick them up afterwards.
    Making them act like ammo (bullets, bolts and arrows) but keep their standard penalty (heavy weight) that prevents them from being carried in bigger numbers is bad design.

Please Beamdog fix it.
    Incidentally, I just looked up arrow weights, and from what I can tell (I would bow to anyone with real expertise on the subject), longbow arrows are generally about 9-to-a-pound. So 240 arrows should weigh about 26 pounds. Which is actually way lighter than I expected. Not sure what impact that has on my overall point.
    Jarrakul said:

Incidentally, I just looked up arrow weights, and from what I can tell (I would bow to anyone with real expertise on the subject), longbow arrows are generally about 9-to-a-pound. So 240 arrows should weigh about 26 pounds. Which is actually way lighter than I expected. Not sure what impact that has on my overall point.

Okay but the things I was carrying were like WAY heavier than normal arrows, so...

(please dont tell trent i cant lift things)
    I mean, also weight is a pretty limited way to measure real-world encumbrance. Just try hauling around large blocks of styrofoam. It's not the weight that gets you.
  • DukinsonDukinson Member Posts: 46
    This change also caught my eye but does/would anyone actually use throwing daggers of limited ammunition? In the shadow of boomerang and firetooth, they seem rather lackluster. Perhaps this is more useful to a thrower in bg1/sod.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    This change comes from IWDEE. In IWDEE throwing daggers has a weight of 0.
    Dukinson said:

This change also caught my eye but does/would anyone actually use throwing daggers of limited ammunition? In the shadow of boomerang and firetooth, they seem rather lackluster. Perhaps this is more useful to a thrower in bg1/sod.

It'd be extremely useful in BG1. Not very good in BG2, of course, but it'd make throwing daggers a much more viable secondary option for dagger-wielders in BG1.
  • luskanluskan Member Posts: 269
    edited March 2016
    One of my favourite weapons to start a mage with is throwing daggers. Their 2 APR and higher average damage works great on sleeping or blind low level monsters and you can buy them poisoned to disrupt mage spell casting. Perfect for those first few levels.

The weight, cost and low stack size was a bit of a deterrent but I would bump up my starting strength stat to lug them around. With weight no longer an issue, I'll have to test if high strength is still needed due to the change in ranged thac0 for throwing weapons.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    that bump from 18 to 19 STR is always amusing for thrown damage, unless you are a dart addict like I am ;)