Skip to content

Shaman & the useless level 2 druid spells

Not sure if this is addressed anywhere else, but does the SoD add to or modify the useless druid lvl 2 spell list? (Perhaps, borrowing from the IWD spells?)

It seems a total waste to play a Shaman between those levels where receiving lvl 2 spells are supposed to be exciting. (Compare to a sorcerer getting Melf's Acid Arrow, Mirror Image, Glitterdust etc.)

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    edited March 2016
    During one of the streams it was stated that there're no new druid spells for a low level druid, so there will be no new druid lvl 2 spells.

Here're spells the shaman can choose for levels 1-3 (from the open beta of BG2EE, a creation of a new character):

1st level:

2nd level:

3rd level:

• KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    @bengoshi What's that about keyholes and seals?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    @Kilivitz Bugs and all that jazz.
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    That's just... great. I laughed my ass off over here.

And now I'm sad again. Man, BG2 looks *broken* right now.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited March 2016
    Shaman's get Writhing Fog automatically added as far as level 2 spells are concerned.
  • ManBearPigManBearPig Member Posts: 34
    I may be in the minority here, but at least in BG1ee, I like the shaman spells. I think in BG2ee they will become kinda useless, but for now they are fun.
    Just to clarify - the druid spells are not added (in terms of the 2nd level), but a Shaman gets additional (to spells chosen by the player) spells (it's a feature of the class), one of them is mentioned by @elminster:

• YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    So, basically only Writhing Fog?
    No Alicorn Lance, for example? Why not?

*sigh*

I better load up on Know Alignment for my powergaming build then...
  • nysinysi Member Posts: 60
    You can still plan to install iwdification mod and add some usefull spell to druide (Like a little heal, alicorn lance..)
  • ManBearPigManBearPig Member Posts: 34
    I'm curious if anyone knows why none of the icewind dale spells were carried over? I have to assume its some licensing issue as opposed to a technical reason. Any insight?
  • rorikonrorikon Member Posts: 105
    I can't find a version of IWDification made after IWD:EE came out, so it still uses the original Icewind Dale spell icons with a completely different style and colouring. That drove me nuts when I used it before. There's probably some newly introduced engine features (like changeable Bard songs) that wouldn't be there either.

I'd always assumed it hadn't been updated because people thought it wouldn't need to be if the next BG patches were going to include all the IWD:EE spells anyway, but it only recently got confirmed that BG 2.0 wouldn't have them.

I'm not trying to criticise IWDification or anything, just pointing out that it isn't perfect, at least not yet :)
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    The IWD druid spells are too powerful, putting wizards in the shade.
    They didn't need to include ALL the Icewind Dale spells, just a couple for the early druid levels in particular would have made me very happy.
  • wraith5641wraith5641 Member Posts: 500
    Why Druids and Druid spells didn't receive a significant improvement, I will never know. Surely every man and his dog can see Druids SUCK. You're going to create a whole new class based on Druids and only add a few new spells? Really?
  • prairiechickenprairiechicken Member Posts: 149
    So lv2 spells are sucky still.

At least shamans can use armor of faith!
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    These new shaman spells seem okay. Writhing fog seems like something that a Druid could have too, no? It's a naturalistic elemental effect after all...

Why didn't Beamdog make a spirit-themed spell also for spells level 2? I really think they should give this one to Druid as well and make an additional lvl2 spell for Shaman.
  • LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    Druids are definitely a bit on the weak side in BG1, but in BG2 they wreack havoc on poor unsuspecting spellcasters! One insect swarm spell and the fight is basically over before it started.
  • YgramulYgramul Member Posts: 1,059
    edited March 2016
    Lifat said:

Druids are definitely a bit on the weak side in BG1, but in BG2 they wreack havoc on poor unsuspecting spellcasters! One insect swarm spell and the fight is basically over before it started.

Not in SCS:
    Fireshield blocks Insect Swarm; also you get a save every round.
    Much more balanced.
  • ShandoShando Member Posts: 147
    I fear the new class idea, could b implicated better. :\

its not massive change, from what i saw.
  • LifatLifat Member Posts: 353
    Ygramul said:

Lifat said:

Not in SCS:
    Fireshield blocks Insect Swarm; also you get a save every round.
    Much more balanced.
    Fair enough. With SCS druids definitely come out a bit on the weak side, but you can't expect devs to balance the game for people using a mod that changes so much about the dificulty and how the spells work. If it really is a problem, then perhaps SCS should be the mod to change the druid spells?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • mounthunderagemounthunderage Member Posts: 8
    The problem with coming out with this new Shamon class is that it will make the Druid class OLD.

new fancy spells only for Shamon and not Druid!?!? Is the Shamon class sold separately!?
    The shaman class is gonna be added for free into BG1:EE and BG2:EE, and you're right, it does kinda diminish single class druids a bit.

Don't call it Shamon by the way. It sounds too much like something Michael Jackson would say :)
  • PK2748PK2748 Member Posts: 381
    Its not like it's a surprise or news that the Shaman has Druid spells nor that Druid spells are limited. Why the angst at this point? Druids have always been a strange hybrid class with some Cleric spells, better weapons and the shape shifting. Shaman being an odd hybrid with the same spells and summons over shape shifting feels like a reasonable approximation. I'd never play one but that's because I'm playing second edition and second edition has spell memorization as an intrinsic part of balancing the game
  • wraith5641wraith5641 Member Posts: 500
    @PK2748 Why could they not add three more Druid spells per level? Why is that too much to ask?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

The problem with coming out with this new Shamon class is that it will make the Druid class OLD.

new fancy spells only for Shamon and not Druid!?!? Is the Shamon class sold separately!?

Single class druids do still have a number of advantages over the shaman. But that is a discussion more appropriate for another thread.