Skip to content

Worst Character to Complete Baldur's Gate

2»

Comments

• QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853

Quartz said:

@sandmanCCL K now try doing that with a tri-class PC, Jaheira, Tiax, Quayle, Coran, and Montaron and let me know if they even get up to level 2. :P

The game will be half over by the time Coran, Quayle and Tiax are even available so I don't see how it applies.

Montaron and Jaheira don't join alone, either.
    Come on sandmanCCL, Mr. Metagameface McGee. It's very easy to kill Xzar and Khalid, or at the very least boot them out in a commoner's home and run out. Then you still are left with 7 classes, enjoy. :3
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    There are only 6 multi-classed characters in BG1.

Only 2 of which are available in the first half of the game (Jaheira and Montaron). Coran cannot join til the end of the first Cloakwood area. Yeslick does not join until you're practically done with the Cloakwood Mines. Quayle does not join until you head to Baldur's Gate, and Tiax is inside the city.

So just to prove a point, I will go ahead and exploit the game to get just my tri-class guy, Jaheira and Montaron alone in a party. I guarantee I'll still be able to hit level 3 in every class very smoothly. It's only 3 guys I'd be leveling.

Basilisks first because they give the most XP for how easy they are to kill, plus you get Koraxx as essentially a 4th party member who doesn't soak up any of your XP.

After that, time to hit up the Sirenes. Easy enough to dispatch with Montaron alone, even at 1/1, by abusing stealth running in and out of the Beregost Temple before they ever manage to finish casting a spell.

Just from that, everyone should be at least level 2 in every single class, and it's pretty smooth sailing through Nashkel with that party comp.

Once we're done there, time to hunt down Basilius. A scroll of protection from undead means it's just me vs. him and that's pretty easy to win even if all I do is kite him around with a wand of missiles. Should be at 3 in everything by the time I return his holy symbol.

The rest should be smooth sailing without needing to resort to cheese.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    By "7 classes" I mean 3 characters, 7 classes. I'm aware that there are only 6 multi-classed characters.

Anyway sounds like pretty nice tactics you got there for sure. Cool stuff.
  • demacydemacy Member Posts: 12
    I usually spam reroll until I wind up with 90+ points pool AND 18/00 strength I just can't help myself.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    edited September 2012

I once contemplated playing the game with a character based on myself.

Ah I once tried to do the same! But I just couldn't roll enough 18's.

@jaxbudgie

I always play every game I play with my avatar based on myself. According to the various tests out there, I am very high in both wisdom and intelligence, and pitiful in dexterity and strength, while average in constitution and charisma. My real-life dexterity gets boosted to average by my ability to play musical instruments and to speed-type.

Bards, clerics, and mages for me.

18's in anything are overrated and completely unnecessary, unless you want to blow off your potential friends and solo the game, which I would never do.
    I was very tempted the other day to start a 'you as an NPC! yaaay!' thread but resisted the urge. I think there was something very similar on the BioWorn/BioWere/BileWare forums. The crushing reality that no one really likes to admit / comprehend / even know of, is that the majority of us would be in the 8-12 bracket since that's considered average, and after all, we are all average sad-sacks.

Edit:
    Most people would answer along the lines of ... "If I were in Baldur's Gate I'd probably be a level 17 Mage/Bard/Druid since I like to read (and got a B in English I might add), can sing in the shower (my mum says I'm pretty talented, actually) and have a garden (I potted a plant once), I've no shred of a doubt my stats would be in the high teens and I'd probably be Neutral Evil because I like to bitch about people on the internet"
    No, sir chumpalot this would be you:
    "If I were in Baldur's Gate I'd be commoner number 398! I'd be a stay at home mum! With stats of 7,10,11,8,9 and 10! I'd be True Neutral because I have no fucking idea what's going on and probably die in my early 30's!"
    All rpg games assume that you have been made into a superhero, voluntarily or not. I am a huge fan of the "transported involuntarily into another world and given a superpower or superpowers, and then expected to save that world, while trying to get home" trope.

You would not be as cowardly as you are making yourself out to be, because you would have at least one superpower given to you that would make all your fantasies of having superpowers come true.

To figure out which superpower would be yours, just exaggerate your real life characteristics. There are several tests available online to figure out what that would be. Why play rpg's other than to imagine yourself as a superhero, feeling warm and fuzzy in your competence, and getting your revenge on all those jock bullies who tormented you in middle and high school?

Come on, man, have some imagination. The whole fun of these games is to indulge our nerdish revenge fantasies against everybody who ever hurt us, or rejected us as their love interest.

Referencing DA:O : You are in the Fade. Your limitations are only imposed by the power or lack thereof of your mind and willpower. This is all a dream. It is a dream in which you can be powerful, or a nightmare in which you are helpless. Your belief in yourself is the determining factor.
  • gfm50gfm50 Member Posts: 124
    I used to be a Bhaalspawn with max stats, until I took a magic missile in the knee.
  • MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
    edited December 2012
    @belgarathmth

Okay, I completely disagree "Come on, man, have some imagination. The whole fun of these games is to indulge our nerdish revenge fantasies against everybody who ever hurt us, or rejected us as their love interest. " speak for yourself on that one. I play baldurs gate because its an interesting tactical game with a decent story which you can play with your friends to explore, loot and pretend to be a band of merry men and women and laughing at tragic deaths whilst not reloading when a party member dies so we have to go to the church to resurrect them.

This game is, does and means different to other people and @Jaxsbudgie is correct in what hes saying. I like to play my characters with realistic stats in mind, because nothing feels better when you make lucky saves and do everything in game to survive, I had to use garricks song to prevent a fear going off just as it was being cast knowing that our party would die if he didn't sing. Now that is an epic adventure, mere weaklings working together to defeat selfish and power hungry beasts.
    Post edited by Majoca on
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Majoca, sorry, but I made that comment so long ago, I don't remember making it, or what I was thinking, or what the context of this whole discussion is. There appears to be an act of necromancy going on here.

LOL - talk about "your own words coming back to haunt you.".
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    I once made a Cleric/Thief in BG1 that I intentionally gave the lowest strength possible (9 I think) under the assumption that I would find strength tomes later to improve her strength. Unfortunately, I didn't actually find any strength tomes that game, so I could only carry 50 lbs the entire game. It was originally supposed to be a solo game, but I added Viconia to my party for a while just for the inventory space. My PC could only carry the gear she had equipped and spell scrolls.

When I imported her into BG2 she eventually got a girdle that improved her strength, but before that it was pretty rough.