Skip to content

Xzar and Montaron. Who actually used them?

Comments

• CuanCuan Member Posts: 38
    edited September 2012
    I love these characters when I play evil. Also Xzar can be dual classed to cleric with a single tome of wisdom. Very handy and he makes a great cleric.

A recent evil party of mine was:

Main char -> Fallen Paladin (Intentional, I wanted to be a Paladin then got corrupted by evil and became a fallen Paladin. There is a class called Fallen Paladin by taking Paladin and getting very low reputation.)
    Xzar -> Necromancer to level 5 then dual classed to cleric. This does require some planning and I did sort of rush to the first tome of wisdom before clearing every zone. Also wasted about 11k exp as he was 11k into level 5. Hardly matters anyway - he is the best cleric!!!
    Montaron
    Edwin
    Kaigain
    Eldoth - I temporary had Skie, but she met a very terrible "unfortunate" accident.

Awesome party and it was a load of fun. I killed Imoen - the bitch kept moaning at the start when I lost reputation.
    KidCarnival
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    Cuan said:

I love these characters when I play evil. Also Xzar can be dual classed to cleric with a single tome of wisdom. Very handy and he makes a great cleric.

A recent evil party of mine was:

Main char -> Fallen Paladin (Intentional, I wanted to be a Paladin then got corrupted by evil and became a fallen Paladin. There is a class called Fallen Paladin by taking Paladin and getting very low reputation.)
    Xzar -> Necromancer to level 5 then dual classed to cleric. This does require some planning and I did sort of rush to the first tome of wisdom before clearing every zone. Also wasted about 11k exp as he was 11k into level 5. Hardly matters anyway - he is the best cleric!!!
    Montaron
    Edwin
    Kaigain
    Eldoth - I temporary had Skie, but she met a very terrible "unfortunate" accident.

Awesome party and it was a load of fun. I killed Imoen - the bitch kept moaning at the start when I lost reputation.

Fallen Paladins are not a "class." It's a purely negative thing at least from BG's gameplay mechanics standpoint. You lose out on an awful lot and there are no upsides. It just makes you a gimp fighter who levels even slower. Just so you know.

As for Tome of Wisdom, you can get the one out of Durlag's Tower with minimal effort rather quickly. You can also go as far into the next level of any class as you want: the moment you dual-class, any xp beyond the previous level disappears. So you did not "waste" any XP, at least if you're talking about it counting against the cap.

If you mean wasted as in it's just 11k that could have immediately gone into Cleric, then I understand what you mean.

If you really want to meta, you should go all the way to 6 with mage before dual-classing. Can't progress beyond 8 as a cleric no matter what you do so you might as well milk the extra level out of mage.
    Archaos[Deleted User]
  • MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
    I actually cannot play the game without these two, they make me laugh, they are quite powerful, infact montaron was highest hitter for me, crossbow of speed, bolt+2 or 3 or any other powerful bolts, buffed with the usual haste and chant and then any potions that increase THAC0 and then all stars in missle weapons, without him I would not have killed the balor in totsc, with these bonuses he would fire many bolts and hit high over and over, he is also useful at scouting. though xzar isnt useful at the beginning later he becomes perfect at crowd control with skull trap, also vampiric touch, cold touch and ghoul touch are dramatically useful when you have a few fighters.

I just like the interaction they have and theres a few moments like with the wizards in baldurs gate up the stairs in that wizard tower thingy they know xzar and dont attack you and talk about stuff with xzar.
    [Deleted User]
  • jpierce55jpierce55 Member Posts: 86
    I included them until I could replace them..... but only the very first time I played. They drove me up the wall!
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    Would have been nice if the concept of fallen Paladin's and Ranger's were more developed. I've never played either but would consider it if there were upsides to becoming fallen. But I don't actually know what the 2nd edition lore is behind it.
    sandmanCCL
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    You guys are making me want to do a run where I dual Xzar to Cleric (of Cyric, obviously) because of influence from Tiax. One cleric of the Mad God is simply not enough!
    [Deleted User]
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    My next run through will be my first with these two. Usually I ignore them or take their potions and ditch them shortly thereafter, depending on my character's alignment.
  • beerflavourbeerflavour Member Posts: 117

I never even bothered with Eldoth's quest. He didn't seem to mind. I made it through all of TotSC and not once did he mention that Skie girl. I think his attention was diverted by Viconia.

Well. What's the point in taking Eldoth along if you don't get Skie? Eldoth is blackmailing Skie's father and the party will thus receive free money on a regular basis.
  • MilesBeyondMilesBeyond Member Posts: 324

I never even bothered with Eldoth's quest. He didn't seem to mind. I made it through all of TotSC and not once did he mention that Skie girl. I think his attention was diverted by Viconia.

Well. What's the point in taking Eldoth along if you don't get Skie? Eldoth is blackmailing Skie's father and the party will thus receive free money on a regular basis.
    Really? I didn't know that. I just brought him on as an archer to replace Imoen (his DEX sucks, but Bracers of Archery help to balance that out. Plus an archer who can cast spells is always useful)
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I do not understand the 'kill them off' thing with NPC's. I guess an evil character might, but... Just seems 'wrong'. Can you get bad karma from such things?
    Dragonspear
  • cloakanddaggercloakanddagger Member Posts: 111
    I play the game RPG style, which for me is more focused on survival. So..yeah, if I run into a character that I have no intentions of using, i'm gonna take their armor and goods. Whether or not I kill them....depends on my mood.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600

Plus, the best part of Eldoth is Skie ... I would say visa versa but Skie is definitely a more compotent NPC than Eldoth, although I do like Eldoth, especially with the bracers of dexterity ... provided you don't have Kagain in your team.

I've never actually taken Montaron all the way, plan is to have both Xzar and Montaron, pick up Eldoth and Safana, drop Safana for Skie .. as for the other slot, possibly one of the new NPCs and then play a Cleric myself I guess!
  • NecdilzorNecdilzor Member Posts: 278
    I remember the first time I played I added them to my party... they annoyed me... and when they got killed ( I played pretty bad... had to restart a couple of times) I just looted their corpses and walked away.
  • Thief_Of_NavarreThief_Of_Navarre Member Posts: 26
    Evil party - a must.
    Neautral party - worth putting up with for the dialog
    Good Party - "Who are these guys?" when you go to the docks in BG2
  • Thief_Of_NavarreThief_Of_Navarre Member Posts: 26
    Then again what Isair said about shar-teel is noteworthy since she is a significant plot character. And I think she's hot... meh!
  • neleotheszeneleothesze Member Posts: 231
    I love them... well, at least I love Xzar and tolerate Monty. What's better than an insane party-member, an insane, spell-throwing party member who pays you compliments :D For that reason in BG2 the sick guy you should deliver to the Harpers 'accidentaly' dies in an AoE. Quest-line, what quest-line?
  • SirrionSirrion Member Posts: 20
    first time i ever played the game i noticed the area up north in the map, where gorion died, went and looted stuff, and went east through the forest... since they are on the road i didnt even see them

ever since then i always did the same routine, and only found out that they even existed years later, then when i figured id try and play with them, i concluded xzar was too ugly so i threw them out again >_<
  • IsairIsair Member Posts: 217
    I may have Xzar in my party this time round and turn him into a necromancer/cleric (hopefully 7/9 if the new cap is around 300000) but doing that really depends on if I decide to be a cheap/cheater & turn Xan into a fighter/mage.

I really want a spellcaster/bow user at the back & a mage capable of casting level 5 spells (if the new cap estimate on my part is correct), my plan beforehand was to have Quayle & Garrick. I'm not a huge fan of Garrick but magic/bow is really his selling point. I've never seen the point in Eldoth (dialog aside), I'd much rather have a front line fighter with the gauntlets of dex. Garrick will have much better THAC0 using the bracers of archery than him, I'm not bothered about his lower con either since he'll be in the back.

If there was a human fighter I could turn into a mage I'd do that instead. I'm leaning towards the Xzar/Xan combo even though it's hack. They're both characters I rarely use, Xan especially.
    Lemernis
    Xzar's line, "I am death, destroyer of woooorlds!" is seriously the reason I bring him along.

Wasn't that what Oppenheimer said after the atomic bomb was unleashed on the world? I know it's a reference to something historic.
    Archaos
  • MilesBeyondMilesBeyond Member Posts: 324

Plus, the best part of Eldoth is Skie ... I would say visa versa but Skie is definitely a more compotent NPC than Eldoth, although I do like Eldoth, especially with the bracers of dexterity ... provided you don't have Kagain in your team.

I've never actually taken Montaron all the way, plan is to have both Xzar and Montaron, pick up Eldoth and Safana, drop Safana for Skie .. as for the other slot, possibly one of the new NPCs and then play a Cleric myself I guess!

Skie would be a fantastic thief were she only available early on... As it is, she's the second worst in the game (Alora being the worst).

The great thing about Montaron as an archer over Eldoth is that since Monty doesn't need the Bracers of DEX, you can outfit him with the amazing Bracers of Archery. Also, with the tweak pack, he can achieve up to GM in bows, but I guess that doesn't really count...
    Evil archer discussions end at Shar-Teel. Strong enough to use composite longbows? Sign me up.

Even if you dual-class her right away, you can still take at least a proficiency in it. It's possible you make Montaron better at it through proficiency points but I always considered him a meat-shield in diminutive form.
    Jaxsbudgie
  • JamesJames Member Posts: 110

Xzar's line, "I am death, destroyer of woooorlds!" is seriously the reason I bring him along.

Wasn't that what Oppenheimer said after the atomic bomb was unleashed on the world? I know it's a reference to something historic.

It was indeed Robert Oppenheimer
    ArchaosRetsuyama
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Isair said:

I may have Xzar in my party this time round and turn him into a necromancer/cleric (hopefully 7/9 if the new cap is around 300000) but doing that really depends on if I decide to be a cheap/cheater & turn Xan into a fighter/mage.

I really want a spellcaster/bow user at the back & a mage capable of casting level 5 spells (if the new cap estimate on my part is correct), my plan beforehand was to have Quayle & Garrick. I'm not a huge fan of Garrick but magic/bow is really his selling point. I've never seen the point in Eldoth (dialog aside), I'd much rather have a front line fighter with the gauntlets of dex. Garrick will have much better THAC0 using the bracers of archery than him, I'm not bothered about his lower con either since he'll be in the back.

If there was a human fighter I could turn into a mage I'd do that instead. I'm leaning towards the Xzar/Xan combo even though it's hack. They're both characters I rarely use, Xan especially.

This is the sort of tinkering with the game that makes it so hugely replayable. Like your thinking.
    @Lemernis & yet I've resisted for so long. I'm just glad not to be ostracized for thinking it haha. It'd be nice for his Moonblade to be more than eye candy.

Regarding the whole Monty archer thing I can't say I'm for that. In the past I've had him largely focus on hide/move silently and always used him as a strike and bolt character. I don't think it's practical to apply typical fighter pattens to him - ranged then meele. Fighter/Thieves should use the skills gifted to them to an advantage in combat, rather than sticking to typical fighter behavior. Monty can scout - find a target - backstab - then lead the pursuing enemy back to the party & a volley of ranged attacks.

If you want a ranged fighter/thief who's much more powerful with the bracers of archery... use Coran. I've used Coran before as an archer/lock pick/trap disarmer & another fighter/thief for stealth & backstab. I'd much rather that than relegate Monty to the back lines.

@sandmanCCL I've never been sure whether Xzar was quoting Oppenheimer or the orignal Hindu verse which I think pertains to Vishnu? But we'll never know what Xzar was working on before leaving.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    @Isair

I actually do love using Monty to launch attacks with a backstab. But he's pretty wicked with the crossbow, I've found. If I have some decent backstabbing characters already, and few that are effective with ranged weapons, I find Montaron can fit the missiles niche likely.

I think one time I might have changed his profs to darts (and shortsword of course) via SK and he was pretty impressive hurling darts.
    Darts are fantastic in BG1. Well playing characters differently is the joy of the game, with my EE game Shar-Teel might have the light crossbow of speed/short sword set up. I'm just not sure how often she'll use it.

I'm not telling anyone how to play the game, just expressing how I've used characters and found them useful. Be at peace Monty archers.
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    I'm using Xzar and Monty right now, in an odd-couple team with Minsc and Dynaheir. Just swapped out Imoen for Tiax. Yes, I'm crazy.
    @Arcalian he's a good choice then.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    I'm quite partial to Xzar & Monty in an evil party. They fit in pretty nicely with Edwin, Viconia & Kagain if you have a solid melee CHARNAME. That was my last evil barbarian playthrough and the BG1NPC project made it a good laugh.
    Archaos
  • KortokKortok Member Posts: 165
    Corvino said:

I'm quite partial to Xzar & Monty in an evil party. They fit in pretty nicely with Edwin, Viconia & Kagain if you have a solid melee CHARNAME. That was my last evil barbarian playthrough and the BG1NPC project made it a good laugh.

I second this. It's a very well balanced party and really shines with a strong melee PC. I might use this party except swapping out Kagain for Dorn.

Oxford_GuyArchaos