Skip to content

monk ac change

DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
Hi!
I read in the change log, that the monk ac incosistency in bgee and bg2ee is solved in the new patch. What is the exact changes ? Is the bgee monk use the bg2ee ac method or the bg2ee use the bgee method?

Ty for the answer.
Kamigoroshi

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    It looks like both games now use the BG2:EE method, which is to set the base AC to a value that improves as you level up rather than give a bonus to AC every few levels. In layman's terms, this means that the AC bonus the monk gets from their class does not stack with bracers of defense or spells like Shield and Spirit Armor. The monk AC bonus will still stack with rings of protection and the like however.
    JuliusBorisov
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
    Thank u your answer :) this is what i expected, ill miss the bracers of armor btw
  • NildarNildar Member Posts: 33
    Does that mean monks have become even worse in BG:EE?
    JuliusBorisovSpaceInvaderGoturalCaradoc
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    edited March 2016
    @Nildar Kinda I guess... They can't get amazingly good AC with the Shield Amulet or Spirit Armor spell anymore, but I still have a lot of respect for them in BG1:EE since I discovered that they are the ideal users of Relair's Mistake. In my current shaman run Rasaad can hold his own fighting next to Minsc. They really don't seem so bad once they get that cloak.

Everyone who wants to play a monk in BG1:EE should know about this. It makes things a whole lot better for monks.
    JuliusBorisovAbelelminsterGirewan
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 950
    The monk is a bad designed class, has no early game power. I would like the built-in unarmed combat specialization like wilson have. And smthing about defense ability or get a backstab. 2E monk has lots of features in oriental adventures, ninja handbook, scarlet britherhood etc.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Monks are only really useful in games where magic weapons are rare.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Or where the Dungeon Master allows Vow of Poverty and it's related feats. :tongue:
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    In the original AD&D rules, Monks and Paladins were expected to take a vow of poverty as part of the requirements for playing the class - it repays some of the bonuses that the classes draw.

1st Edition monks also had awesome d4 hit dice! Although they did get 2d4 at 1st :)
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    Tresset said:

@Nildar Kinda I guess... They can't get amazingly good AC with the Shield Amulet or Spirit Armor spell anymore, but I still have a lot of respect for them in BG1:EE since I discovered that they are the ideal users of Relair's Mistake. In my current shaman run Rasaad can hold his own fighting next to Minsc. They really don't seem so bad once they get that cloak.

Everyone who wants to play a monk in BG1:EE should know about this. It makes things a whole lot better for monks.

I want a boxer, not a wolf. :hushed:
    Caradoc