Skip to content

[Not an Issue] Passage of time discontinuity in Kangaxx's tomb

dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
edited March 2016 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.3.2064)
We all know that if you break off from a battle and escape to another room/cavern/area to rest up and heal and then return to the battle, your opponents will have healed and re-memorised their spells (i.e. the same amount of time passes for your opponents as well).

However in my current battle with Kangaxx I've found that this is not the case (whether intentional or a bug, I don't know).

My solo Mage went to do battle with Kangaxx and summoned a Planatar to help. The Planatar killed Kangaxx in Lich form but turned against my Mage when the Demi-Lich appeared so my Mage scarpered and went to rest up so that he could come back and summon another Planatar.
When returning, the original Planatar had disappeared (expected) but when my Mage tried to summon another Planatar the message came up "You cannot summon another creature at this time" (or words to that effect). Puzzled, I moved my Mage back up to the ground floor and tried to summon a Planatar there - which worked.
Just to make absolutely sure I went away and rested my Mage for 24 hours, went back and tried again to summon a Planatar in Kangaxx's tomb - to no avail, I got the same message.

So it seems that time stops when I leave the tomb and, however long I spend away, when I return to the tomb it is still the same day as when I left.

Can anyone shed some light on this?
Post edited by Gate70 on

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    Yep I stumbled across this summoning behaviour a few years ago and it took me a while to work out the cause.

Your Planetar has been Imprisoned and that prevents a new one from being summoned. It is outside summoning expiration rules. Casting Freedom would see it returned but I cannot remember if it will immediately unsummon.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Ah, thanks, at least that explains it. I suspect though that even if I could free it Kangaxx would immediately imprison it again ad infinitum.
    So, back to the drawing board, this time to find another way to defeat a Demi-Lich with a solo Mage (I really do want that ring!).
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    I've seen a few ways of this in no reload, again some time ago so not certain on details. Spell immunity (Abjuration + Divination I think). Energy Blades, possibly MMM's fire damage.

There's a 50 ways to kill Kangaxx rhyme which should be fairly easy to find on the net.

Good luck
    dunbar
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    @dunbar. Spell Immunity Abjuration+Divination and Improved Invisibility will do as long as you have a means of damaging Kangaxx faster than he can regenerate. I hear potions of Firebreath are also effective against him.

I won't mention the scrolls you can use to cheese him.
    dunbar
    @Gate70 @decado Thank you both for your input - I'd got as far as figuring out that I needed immunity to Abjuration but hadn't thought through the Divination bit!
    Update: Imm. to Abj. + Div. did the trick along with Improved Haste, Short Sword of the Mask in mainhand and Kundane in offhand. I was only able to do 2 points of damage at a time but I managed to hit him a lot of times very, very quickly.
    moody_mage
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    You can use those spells for pretty much every encounter in the game when soloing. Staff of The Magi helps immensely too.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    You can use the Ring of the Ram (the one Tolgerias drops) on him to knock him back and take away about half his hit points.
This discussion has been closed.